Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Do Worsley Works pre-form the tumblehome?

No, but it's easy to do with three short lengths of timber, one of which should ideally be bullnose skirting board.  I think this might be in the 'Building coaches the Comet way' guide?  And the tumblehome on the clerestories is pretty minimal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

D33 cont.

Had quite a productive day on Saturday fettling the underframe to represent the coach with electric lighting.  This involved removal of the footboards and gas cylinders and the addition of battery boxes, V hangers and dynamo. It's easy to damage the truss rods while doing all this hacking and carving (how do I know this?), but a bit of bodging makes good before the proverbial coat of paint.

P1070476.JPG.4902ee20ebdb69556a12d5bb13dd238d.JPG

The Shapeways bogies have been fitted with top hat bearings and end footsteps.  The latter are MJT/Frogmore items - I only had three left so will need to order more. One thing I've learnt with Shapeways Hornby-fit bogies is not to install them too early.  The material is not as resilient as the original plastic ones and when I tried to remove them on an earlier conversion the retaining bosses at the top of the bogie spigots just snapped off.  (So I now have a C16 which, when I remove it from the track, leaves its bogies behind, still coupled in the train!)  

I've also carved and filed the vents off the clerestory sides and covered over with plain 10 thou Plastkard. Mike@Coach bogie has confirmed that these were plated over at this period.  He's also re-sent me the original photo that piqued my interest in this diagram, but had been lost in the Great RMweb Crash. Perhaps he'll also post it on this thread for those interested in something a bit different?

John C.

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

I don't know, but I'd guess that they'd take the glass out first.  They would certainly have had to remove the ventilators (as I did with the Hornby mouldings).

For the avoidance of doubt, by "clerestory sides" I mean the sides of the clerestory part of the roof, not the bodysides of the coaches.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Weren't the "lights" in the sides of the clerestory painted over as part of the blackout precautions late in the first world war and plated over afterwards. ISTR reading that you shouldn't be having glass in the clerestory after about 1916.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Weren't the "lights" in the sides of the clerestory painted over as part of the blackout precautions late in the first world war and plated over afterwards. ISTR reading that you shouldn't be having glass in the clerestory after about 1916.

Photo evidence shows the glazing was still in place on many clerestory both gas and electric, even post wwII. The same with the toplight glass. Some plated over, some not. I can add pictures later but not at present (sat in Brisbane airport).

Some images can be deceiving. Top glass looks painted over but in reality, just very dirty. Cleaners concentrated on sides, not so much the roof.

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, checkrail said:

(So I now have a C16 which, when I remove it from the track, leaves its bogies behind, still coupled in the train!) 

I've got one or two like that. Solution: don't remove them from the track!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

Photo evidence shows the glazing was still in place on many clerestory both gas and electric, even post wwII. The same with the toplight glass. Some plated over, some not. I can add pictures later but not at present (sat in Brisbane airport).

Some images can be deceiving. Top glass looks painted over but in reality, just very dirty. Cleaners concentrated on sides, not so much the roof.

Thanks, that's useful to know and saves a good amount of messing around with my own coaches.

• Friendly/supportive 2