Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I do wonder if a Cordon really counts as a 'special'?  Definitely something something different but at one time they were worked to any number of places in order to supply gas for a variety of uses.  Principally for rolling stock, various, to recharge it with gas so not over difficult to justify at some places and at more places. in earlier times.

Fair comment, Mike. What I meant was that it won't run about willy-nilly in ordinary goods trains. In fact, it won't run about at all...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Harlequin said:

There was a similar question on the GWR email list recently: "GWR Cordons - rolling stock only

I was a subscriber to the GWR e-list but seem to have dropped off it.  I vaguely remember some issue regarding changes to groups on whatever digital platform it was on.  Must try to re-connect with it.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, checkrail said:

Would that "variety of uses" include heating and lighting the station and its platforms?   There wouldn't be any call at Stoke C. for supplying gas for trains.

As 'Harlequin' has noted they don't appear to have been used to supply stations.  the variety of uses covered quite a wide variety of rolling stock - horse boxes have been mentioned and diners was another use (for cooking supply) as well of course for coach lighting on some stock.

Gas lighting lasted a quite while in one or two places because the length of run on a branch line was insufficient to recharge the batteries on coaching stock and shore based charging facilities tended to be limited to major depots.

Alas for Neal - although things may well have changed over time - the diners which spent a good proportion of the year stabled at Henley seem to have been worked away for preparation to re-enter service which presumably involved heavy cleaning and hygienic cleaning prior to stocking.  The latter would definitely not have been possible at Henley as it involved dismantling a lot of the kitchen equipment and leaving it in a bath of gently heated caustic soda solution overnight to remove any grease and what have you then it would be thoroughly washed in water prior to being returned to the relevant car.  This sort of work could only be done at suitably equipped major carriage cleaning depots and needed suitably trained staff to do the job because of both the nature of dismantling etc and the use of the chemical cleaning process.  

The diners were then normally stocked on a Friday (ready to be in service the next day), except for various perishable foodstuffs, with all the necessary linen, cutlery and serving dishes etc plus non perishable items and this was done at stations in a suitable dock or whatever - Platform 1A was used for this at Paddington.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

Nearby Marlow had a regular appearance of  gas wagons. several of the published images are taken there. (the trimmed hedges in the background being the give away) I understand to recharge the carriage stock but no definite info there.

Mike Wiltshire

Yes, that's correct they were used to charge the 'Donkey.  The station was on the town supply.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

Nice pic of Pen Tor Road, Nick. It's got my Macaw in it! Haven't seen it for a long time.

All credit to you for it to feature at Pendon! 

I took that photo, along with several others, during the RMWeb day we had there about 10 years ago now. I was looking in a folder for something else and happened upon them. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
Just now, checkrail said:

Wasn't sure whether this one would work out as it involved holding the camera aloft at a height which no tripod or boom could reach and there was nothing to support the camera except my shaky hands.  I thought that shooting from this position in post-focus mode, for later merging, would most likely result in a rather blurred image.  So I was pleasantly surprised that it came out reasonably well.

382520772_z1(2).jpg.a52ba4699387dee37a0edb76cec9fecc.jpg

The original aim was to get the whole train in shot, including the locomotive, without anything extraneous to the layout intruding, but once I'd corrected the verticals of the merged image the engine had gone!  

John C.

Thats a nice shot John. Just shows, you don't always need a loco in the frame.

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

Nice shot John,

As you might appreciate, my eye was drawn to a minor detail, the rear coach of the inbound Earlsbridge line train. Nice to see you have the branch designation showing, what coaches are deployed on that run? (I'm being lazy here as I'm sure it's somewhere back in your topic, somewhere)

Colin

• Like 1

Great shot.

Getting different angle shots is more difficult than you think, have you tried any back of the layout pictures looking outwards yet?

Remote access via your mobile is a good way to go for these.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

As you might appreciate, my eye was drawn to a minor detail, the rear coach of the inbound Earlsbridge line train. Nice to see you have the branch designation showing, what coaches are deployed on that run?

The branch train is a Hornby (ex-Airfix) B set.  Over the years it's had some incremental improvements: semi-permanent close coupling; new headstocks and sprung buffers at the outer ends; removal of the non-prototypical 'extra' window on one side, and minor livery alterations.  And as you rightly observe it has the route branding 'EARLSBRIDGE No. 1' on the outer ends, from transfers produced for me by the ever-helpful Railtec. One of these days I might even get round to correcting the not-quite-right underframe details. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Reminds me of the one and only time I have witnessed two Castles passing on the Devon main line.

9th May 2014 - 50 years since the Great Western High Speed railtour when 4079 burnt through its firebars at Westbury.

I was on a commemorative railtour behind 5029 Nunney Castle, Westbury - Plymouth - Bristol.

We had just departed from Plymouth when we passed 5043 Earl of Mount Edgcumbe, which was just arriving at Laira with ECS for another tour the following day.

Unfortunately, though, neither Castle had a D47 behind its tender that day.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nick Gough said:

I was on a commemorative railtour behind 5029 Nunney Castle, Westbury - Plymouth - Bristol.

We had just departed from Plymouth when we passed 5043 Earl of Mount Edgcumbe, which was just arriving at Laira with ECS for another tour the following day.

Would have liked to have seen that.  I might have seen Earl of Mt Edgcumbe when I sneaked into Laira, aged 13 - 'though it just might have been Earl of St Germans.  But I definitely saw 4079 in revenue earning service on a stopper at Starcross, maybe on the same family holiday.   (I say 'sneaked in' to Laira but actually I just wandered in and mooched around without anyone saying a dickie bird.  Those were the days - oh so long ago! 

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, checkrail said:

One of these days I might even get round to correcting the not-quite-right underframe details.

I did that on my first pair but couldn't be bothered on the others!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, checkrail said:

Two more of the crossing Castles.

1682274217_TE16(1).jpg.a6e3082e934a7da21de77c45dd827522.jpg

TE17.jpg.f69f14a2c441ae45895ee9e497600787.jpg

John C.

Is that the H25 or H33 Restaurant carriage 4th behind the engine John? Thanks.

I take it they are replacement sides, I can see you’ve changed the roof fittings.

• Like 4