Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

2 hours ago, checkrail said:

Here's a slightly different take on the Earlsbridge through coach working.

On p.75 of Great Western Pictorial No. 2: 'The Hubback Collection' there's a splendid 1937 pic of a King near Charlton on the up main with the 9.0 am Perranporth to Paddington.  The caption goes on to say, "The last station call of this train was Brent, where the scheduled Truro 4-6-0, which had worked through, was believed to have been changed for the King.  Sometimes eastbound trains not stopping at North Road station changed locomotives at Laira Jct., though in this instance it may have been felt more efficient to change at Brent, where the two Kingsbridge vehicles (Van Third, Compo) were also attached to the front of the train."

I can confirm from a friend's extensive research on Brent that for a time a King did depart light from Laira for a loco change at Brent. One of those odd operations that did not last long.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

I can confirm from a friend's extensive research on Brent that for a time a King did depart light from Laira for a loco change at Brent. One of those odd operations that did not last long.

All that research was wasted as we never did get that much promised book.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, gwrrob said:
26 minutes ago, checkrail said:

I've lost the plot a bit here chaps.  What was the intended book all about?

The Kingsbridge branch.

Thanks Rob.  Was lack of publisher interest due to there having already been books on the branch?  Would the one you and Mike are talking about have added more?  If so - a shame it didn't happen.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, checkrail said:

Thanks Rob.  Was lack of publisher interest due to there having already been books on the branch?  Would the one you and Mike are talking about have added more?  If so - a shame it didn't happen.

I think we all hoped it would have been a book rather like the one @Bulwell Hall [Gerry]  wrote for Wild Swan on the Bridport Branch. Alas, it wasn't to be.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, KNP said:

and have you 'accidently' fallen up into the loft at all?

Ha ha.  I can't deny that it's been a temptation sometimes Kevin! But I'm half way through now so I'll try my best to resist on the basis that the surgeon knew what he was talking about. Recovery going well so don't want to jeopardise it. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

What a splendid sequence of through coach shunting ! I wonder if the passengers of the through coach had to disembark during the manoeuvre - I suspect not, but I would have wanted to get out and watch leaving a mac on my seat.

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/10/2023 at 09:28, Coach bogie said:

Publisher decided it was not financially viable.

Mike Wiltshire

Shame it cant be self published, I think there are a few options out there now (certainly Amazon offer it) 

Would have loved to read it! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

I wonder if the passengers of the through coach had to disembark during the manoeuvre - I suspect not

Your suspicion is correct Mike - they wouldn't have had to leave their seats.  And they could have done a bit of loco spotting.

13 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

but I would have wanted to get out and watch leaving a mac on my seat.

I wouldn't leave my computer on a railway carriage seat!

Edited by checkrail
typo
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
On 28/09/2023 at 17:38, Harlequin said:

A perfectly innocent and restful pastime is looking at the floorplans of houses for sale, to see which rooms would make good layout rooms...

Isn’t that the proper way to buy a house?  The one we’re in now met the spec that my old layout would fit in without alteration.

Trouble is, it met it with room to spare, so I ditched the old layout and am rebuilding bigger.  (Hope model railways aren’t like barns, there was a parable about that with an ending that isn’t encouraging . . .)

Paul.

Edited by 5BarVT
Punctuation.
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2