Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, KNP said:

So I hope you don't mind but I messed about with one using tone mapping....

Lovely stuff Kevin - looks like an old-fashioned greetings card.  You're having a lot of fun with Affinity aren't you? 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Ponthir28 said:

I do like a Grange. A proper all rounder.

Indeed - they're great engines and were, I believe, very popular with footplate crews.  And the Hornby model i one of their really good ones.  Let's see how it stands up against the Accurascale Manor.

John C. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, checkrail said:

Full marks to Steve at Railtech for great service.  Transfers for GWR RA discs and sundry other items only ordered a couple of days ago and arrived today.   So I deferred my plan to go to Chester Cathedral to see Pete Waterman's latest marvel and spent a quiet afternoon applying RA spots including power classifications.  I still can't properly see the latter very well even with varifocals, magnifying glasses, Rotacraft desk lamp etc. but that's my problem. Unfortunately therefore I don't think I've got the letters exactly vertical.  But I'll never need to know.

P1070305.JPG.e37d4fd82ec60c592563af1d814b8b91.JPG

2067541665_P1070303(2).JPG.37f56cf0c0e32e24ead527f1ea523e42.JPG

P1070306.JPG.b54caa33bd0860c6e314515d6c9df2bf.JPG

While I was doing them I realised that for some reason 6305 didn't have a RA indicator on its left cabside.  It has now.

P1070302.JPG.718aa3fe229b19ac3d7eeb0831ddd29e.JPG

The cab roof of 4117 is still not a perfect fit and needs yet more fettling, but apart from that all I'm waiting for are the number plates from Modelmaster.  Come on chaps, get a move on!

John C.  

I gave up with modelmaster ages ago…. Too many excuses.

Good luck with your order John.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 22/08/2022 at 22:55, BWsTrains said:

Thanks.

I already knew about chinchilla dust but you can't get that here! Not a popular breed it seems.

Local option required, I need to do some research. We mine enough stuff out of the ground it can't be that hard to find something suitable!

Colin

Not sure where "here" is but I have sourced Chinchilla Dust in both UK and France so should be available in most parts of Europe, another possibility if you want a black finish is the volcanic sand they sell for reptiles etc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stephen Freeman said:

Not sure where "here" is but I have sourced Chinchilla Dust in both UK and France so should be available in most parts of Europe, another possibility if you want a black finish is the volcanic sand they sell for reptiles etc

Sorry. I live in the SE corner of a pleasant but rather large island 12000km from the UK, former penal colony etc. etc.

Many items taken for granted in Europe are hard to access or very expensive or banned by quarantine rules (Sea Foam being notable). It seems Chinchillas are rare here and  very fine sand is sold for aquarium use at eye watering prices! Pet Owners are considered "fair game" it seems, as my daughter will confirm. I'm regularly called to find a low cost solution in lieu of some over priced rubbish from the pet shop they're trying to sell her.

M. Button resting on half a case, his new step into the hutch, quality stuff too, 1996 Pomerol, no rubbish here!

(apologies John for this rather frivolous intrusion to your otherwise carefully maintained Topic. Pic now removed. My excuse is I thought the quote was related to something I'd said elsewhere 😧) 

No matter! It makes us creative and I have my own home grown solution for the fine fill problem. R&D ongoing but results should be available soon.

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, BWsTrains said:

Sorry. I live in the SE corner of a pleasant but rather large island 12000km from the UK, former penal colony etc. etc.

Many items taken for granted in Europe are hard to access or very expensive or banned by quarantine rules (Sea Foam being notable). It seems Chinchillas are rare here and  very fine sand is sold for aquarium use at eye watering prices! Pet Owners are considered "fair game" it seems, as my daughter will confirm. I'm regularly called to find a low cost solution in lieu of some over priced rubbish from the pet shop they're trying to sell her.

No matter! It makes us creative and I have my own home grown solution for the fine fill problem. R&D ongoing but results should be available soon.

Not to mention Railmatch or Precision paints...

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Stephen Freeman said:

I bought a small bag for use as ballast on code 40 N track as conventional fine ballasts seemed too course.

Like most things I’m pretty sure mine came from Amazon.

Brian

On 22/08/2022 at 22:17, checkrail said:

Hi Colin

I can't quite remember to be honest.  I think it was probably the same Carr's 'ash ballast' that I used to ballast the goods yard sidings but painted a paler colour.  Whatever it was it was a fine powder on the sheet cork yard base, brushed (once dried hard) with various washes of grey and brown acrylics.  The key word is 'fine' - road and yard surfaces on models can sometimes look too coarse and your 4mm scale people would have a rough time walking or driving on it.  Chinchilla dust or Treemendous earth powder are other possibilities. 

John.

John,

having exhausted ideas for commercial supplies in Australia for reasons already covered, I've started my own trials for something practical, cheap and available to make Yard Dirt. First results are up on my topic for anyone interested.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 01/09/2022 at 03:37, BWsTrains said:

having exhausted ideas for commercial supplies in Australia for reasons already covered, I've started my own trials for something practical, cheap and available to make Yard Dirt. First results are up on my topic for anyone interested.

Yep, have checked it out and it's looking good.  And if the biggest pieces are 0.5mm that makes them 1 1/2 inches.  Similar to a gravel drive perhaps, so fine for both pedestrians and wheeled vehicles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, checkrail said:

While waiting for the plates for 4117 there's been a bit of s & t work going on around Stoke C.  My signal wire pulley posts (MSE) have been in place a long time but for years had no actual wires.  Some months ago I added one token wire (EZ Line) to each run but it didn't really cut the mustard in relation to the number of signals (including implied offstage distants.  So I dug up all the single posts, replaced them with doubles, and ran two lines of wire along them.  Here' the work in progress before the wires were added.

P1070307.JPG.05ad9947a4f899635f0d2ccea9e32425.JPG

P1070308.JPG.d723c9f0538f47ee47ad1483d763bc8c.JPG

P1070309.JPG.ce3c66ce593ba50c9accadd8dcac396a.JPG

It's still not a full representation (by implication some runs should have three or more wires, and that's excluding ground signals!) but two wires give a bit more 'busyness' to the general look of things. And they're the most that my fine detail skills allow.  The single wire just drew attention to what wasn't there.  As ever my modelling is impressionistic!

Wires are now in place and I'm just in the process of painting and finishing off.

John C.

Oh no! Another railway on RMWeb adding signal cables…. Will Point rodding be next?

As part of my procrastination I looked at Stoke Courtney and ANTB and decided it could wait / might not happen as neither railways have them….. My arguments are being diluted 🤣🤣

Stoke Courtney, looks as good as ever John and those “stools” add to the overall feel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, checkrail said:

While waiting for the plates for 4117 there's been a bit of s & t work going on around Stoke C.  My signal wire pulley posts (MSE) have been in place a long time but for years had no actual wires.  Some months ago I added one token wire (EZ Line) to each run but it didn't really cut the mustard in relation to the number of signals (including implied offstage distants.  So I dug up all the single posts, replaced them with doubles, and ran two lines of wire along them.  Here' the work in progress before the wires were added.

P1070307.JPG.05ad9947a4f899635f0d2ccea9e32425.JPG

P1070308.JPG.d723c9f0538f47ee47ad1483d763bc8c.JPG

P1070309.JPG.ce3c66ce593ba50c9accadd8dcac396a.JPG

It's still not a full representation (by implication some runs should have three or more wires, and that's excluding ground signals!) but two wires give a bit more 'busyness' to the general look of things. And they're the most that my fine detail skills allow.  The single wire just drew attention to what wasn't there.  As ever my modelling is impressionistic!

Wires are now in place and I'm just in the process of painting and finishing off.

John C.

Impressive.  That's something I need to think about doing as well.  But then I'm immediately wondering about running the EZ line to the signals themselves to, because it would look strange just ending at the pulleys...  Aagh!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Neat job, and as I have installed point rodding on my layout, I've no excuse for not having signal wires. Especially now I have seen how good those look.

Thanks for the inspiration! 

Maybe...

I think....😀

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, checkrail said:

My signal wire pulley posts (MSE)

A quick check showed the current MSE product (LS008) has a single pulley on a post. How did you arrange your multiple pulleys?

You'd have thought that supplying them with 2 or 3 pulleys which could have excess nipped off would make more sense. Here I'm assuming they are stacked one above another. I imagine a single pulley is needed just on the run to the boundary of the Box's signal control zone.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, checkrail said:

Wires now installed.  (And the chap at Modelmaster says that no. plates for 4117 should be despatched Monday or Tuesday.)

P1070316.JPG.56b68808bcab1e8ffd59e5b113a6d271.JPG

P1070317.JPG.50659fd6912beb00604003e0b7a65476.JPG

P1070318.JPG.5ff956b1f13189f5aeab6b43aadcb826.JPG

P1070319.JPG.2a5855d8e741dc529788c4b6d9c8e41d.JPG

John C.

Nice but I'll pass, thanks.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

A quick check showed the current MSE product (LS008) has a single pulley on a post. How did you arrange your multiple pulleys?

You'd have thought that supplying them with 2 or 3 pulleys which could have excess nipped off would make more sense. Here I'm assuming they are stacked one above another. I imagine a single pulley is needed just on the run to the boundary of the Box's signal control zone.

Here's a view of the real thing - on a heritage railway but installed by a BR S&T chap so it's done just as it would be on 'the big railway' -

1777904149_IMGP6978copy.jpg.c322e887fdc4ca62b731d8505cd290bb.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

You'd have thought that supplying them with 2 or 3 pulleys which could have excess nipped off would make more sense.

Looking back at the packets they came in I see that LS008/2 is single pulleys, while LS008/1 is described as "multiple pulleys, displaced vertically" but actually have just two pulleys.  Not sure how you'd arrange for more than that number as the whole caboodle might start looking a bit too overscale and conspicuous.  But see Mike @The Stationmaster's very useful photo in his post above. 

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, checkrail said:

ts2.jpg.d4ea4399a5c217dc93939fee3f7ec625.jpg

ts3.jpg.404b87e8822d4ffd1815ecb757fcb751.jpg

John, your second and third photos there helped me work out what didn't quite look right to me, hence my earlier rather cryptic comment. I think it's that the signal wires and their posts look  more conspicuous than the point rodding runs, rather than the other way round. Not a criticism, just an observation.

• Agree 2