Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Premium

Lovely Summer weekend shunting, ready for departure first thing Monday no doubt.

Either that or the cattle have just arrived for Mondays market in town. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Neal Ball said:

ready for departure first thing Monday no doubt.

Either that or the cattle have just arrived for Mondays market in town. 

Your guess is as good as mine Neal!  There don't actually seem to be any cattle inside the wagons.  ("All van and no cattle")

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Great set of pictures.

Shows the layout and your modelling at its best.

Reminds me I need to take some more pictures as the LM folder is nearly empty.....!

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Definitely the best of both worlds!

Cakeism? 

Not heard that one before.

Is that where people with nothing better to do take to Twitter in order to demand you be punished because someone might have thought that possibly something that you said in passing about baked goods could possibly by tenuous means be construed as offensive by persons unspecified?

• Funny 5

Great, now I'm going to have Bobby Pickett and the Crypt Kickers for an earworm all afternoon...

Good work on the Monster though. You may have already done so, but can you tell me who produced the kit?

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Great, now I'm going to have Bobby Pickett and the Crypt Kickers for an earworm all afternoon...

Sorry!  Was amazed to find that the song dated from 1962.  Seems like yesterday.

Kit was by Mailcoach.  Think it was re-issued by Cooper-Craft.  I bought mine on eBay some time ago.  They come up quite often.

John.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Thanks, I had a feeling that it was one of the obscure and long lost kits.

I think that Monster mash was re-released sometime in the 80s, I don't think that it's ever been off the radio somewhere come Halloween.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I think that Monster mash was re-released sometime in the 80s, I don't think that it's ever been off the radio somewhere come Halloween.

I got a copy of it in the 70's, though I *think* it came as a cover freebie on Whoopee comic.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, checkrail said:

''It did the Mash, it did the Monster Mash,

It did the Mash, it was a fiddleyard smash,

It did the Mash, it caught on in a flash,

It did the Mash, it did the Monster Mash''. 

(With apologies to Bobby 'Boris' Pickett and the Crypt Kickers )

My Monster Mash is still work in progress.  It's jut had a few coats of Dullcote.  Once I'm happy with the finish I can put the windows and window bars in, after which I'll just need to stick the roof on.

P1070204.JPG.4915704d95a6ec96825bdfb9c22d6dff.JPG

P1070230.JPG.95670d484fd94ea6e8b5bdbc65d3679f.JPG

John C.

The late Jim Whittaker made exquisite 4 mm models  of Siphon Gs , Hs and a Monster.

He recounted how he unintentionally scared a DMU driver whilst researching the Monster. He had  previously spotted  the Monster in a goods yard  . So , he asked the DMU  driver to drive slowly past the “Monster ” as they passed . He then sat behind the driver ( this was when DMUs had a glazed partition behind the driver allowing passengers a clear view ahead ).
The driver was nonplussed  and became very nervous until he spotted the “Monster” clearly branded as such . He then turned and pointed out the Monster whilst laughing with relief .

I recall that Mr. Whittaker made acSiphon G and a Siphon H for each of his daughters . I hope the models survive and are valued for their excellence and their sentimental value .

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 1466 said:

The late Jim Whittaker made exquisite 4 mm models  of Siphon Gs , Hs and a Monster.

He recounted how he unintentionally scared a DMU driver whilst researching the Monster. He had  previously spotted  the Monster in a goods yard  . So , he asked the DMU  driver to drive slowly past the “Monster ” as they passed . He then sat behind the driver ( this was when DMUs had a glazed partition behind the driver allowing passengers a clear view ahead ).
The driver was nonplussed  and became very nervous until he spotted the “Monster” clearly branded as such . He then turned and pointed out the Monster whilst laughing with relief .

I recall that Mr. Whittaker made acSiphon G and a Siphon H for each of his daughters . I hope the models survive and are valued for their excellence and their sentimental value .

What a great story - thanks for that.  IIRC Jim W was the maker of the exquisite Siphon models included in Jim Russell's coach volumes. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

Did that kit come with wheels?   I have a kitbuilt Monster I bought out of an estate sale.   Has plastic wheels with separate tires.

No wheels, plastic or otherwise, were included in the kit I bought.  I bunged in some Gibsons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, checkrail said:

What a great story - thanks for that.  IIRC Jim W was the maker of the exquisite Siphon models included in Jim Russell's coach volumes. 

Yes , I checked Russell as I had brain fog recalling Mr.Whittaker’s name . A great pleasure to see those G s and H s of his . He set stellar standards, way ahead of his time .

I think the discombobulating DMU driver was in Model Railway News but memory is fallible .

• Like 2