Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Gold

The next few pics show Broome Hall easing in to its scheduled stop at Stoke C. with its 4-coach local set (van 3rd; compo; 3rd; van 3rd).

attachicon.gifTale of two halls 015-min.JPG

attachicon.gifTale of two halls 016-min.JPG

Those who've followed this thread recently may recall how the camera had exposed my skimping on detail that's out of sight at normal viewing angles.  It hadn't occurred to me when building the layout that I'd be able to get my camera into places where my head or eye wouldn't go.  I spent a couple of days or so last month putting this right.  What fun - standing on a chair bent double as if I was standing on my head at the back of the baseboard, painting the platform side of the fencing and adding advertising posters, applying lettering to the back of the running-in boards, and above all adding and painting the missing brickwork on the rear side platform faces and filling the cess between platform and track.  Glad it's over, with no damage (except a bit of acid indigestion from being bent double for so long!).  Not perfect, but it'll do, and allows some good shots.

attachicon.gifTale of two halls 017-min-min.JPG

Another thing I've been grappling with over recent weeks - without success so far - is trying to assemble Exactoscale GWR screw couplings and persuade them to adopt that characteristic GW arrangement whereby they're hung up to a hook beneath left buffer.  I'll come back to this in due course and have another go, but I'd spent so long at it that it was time to move on and get other things done.

(I note that the Hattons/DJM 48xx is said to have just such a coupling set-up included.  I've emailed both Hattons and Dave Jones suggesting that this be made available as a spare.  Otherwise, in the short term the only way I can see towards getting what I want is to buy ten 48xx models, keep the couplings, and throw the locos away.  Might be a tad expensive.)

attachicon.gifTale of two halls 018-min.JPG

attachicon.gifTale of two halls 019-min.JPG

attachicon.gifTale of two halls 020-min.JPG

I quite like this last shot, which I think shows Bachmann's nice finish to advantage.

John C.

Well worth all that work to complete the illusion of reality. Stunning pictures!

I have grappled with the stowed front coupling issue on my resurrected Bachmann Manor, using a Smith's coupling which is clearly overscale. Perhaps a 3D printed coupling would sell well .

post-21027-0-08332700-1489232273_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

The next few pics show Broome Hall easing in to its scheduled stop at Stoke C. with its 4-coach local set (van 3rd; compo; 3rd; van 3rd).

attachicon.gifTale of two halls 015-min.JPG

attachicon.gifTale of two halls 016-min.JPG

Those who've followed this thread recently may recall how the camera had exposed my skimping on detail that's out of sight at normal viewing angles.  It hadn't occurred to me when building the layout that I'd be able to get my camera into places where my head or eye wouldn't go.  I spent a couple of days or so last month putting this right.  What fun - standing on a chair bent double as if I was standing on my head at the back of the baseboard, painting the platform side of the fencing and adding advertising posters, applying lettering to the back of the running-in boards, and above all adding and painting the missing brickwork on the rear side platform faces and filling the cess between platform and track.  Glad it's over, with no damage (except a bit of acid indigestion from being bent double for so long!).  Not perfect, but it'll do, and allows some good shots.

attachicon.gifTale of two halls 017-min-min.JPG

Another thing I've been grappling with over recent weeks - without success so far - is trying to assemble Exactoscale GWR screw couplings and persuade them to adopt that characteristic GW arrangement whereby they're hung up to a hook beneath left buffer.  I'll come back to this in due course and have another go, but I'd spent so long at it that it was time to move on and get other things done.

(I note that the Hattons/DJM 48xx is said to have just such a coupling set-up included.  I've emailed both Hattons and Dave Jones suggesting that this be made available as a spare.  Otherwise, in the short term the only way I can see towards getting what I want is to buy ten 48xx models, keep the couplings, and throw the locos away.  Might be a tad expensive.)

attachicon.gifTale of two halls 018-min.JPG

attachicon.gifTale of two halls 019-min.JPG

attachicon.gifTale of two halls 020-min.JPG

I quite like this last shot, which I think shows Bachmann's nice finish to advantage.

John C.

The first three pictures are some of the best I have seen on RMWeb. I can visualize myself on that station watching and listening to that train arriving. Brings back all sorts of wonderful memories.

David 

• RMweb Gold

Well worth all that work to complete the illusion of reality. Stunning pictures!

I have grappled with the stowed front coupling issue on my resurrected Bachmann Manor, using a Smith's coupling which is clearly overscale. Perhaps a 3D printed coupling would sell well .

You've done a great job there.  After an initial experiment I decided that Smith's couplings weren't flexible enough in more than one direction to do this, but you've proved me wrong!  The Exactoscale ones certainly will do it, and will probably look really good, but I think you have to a jeweller, watchmaker or skilled finescale modeller to manage it.  I'm none of the above but working on the last one! 

I agree that a 3D printed one (or conventionally manufactured spare) would be very popular with GW modellers once the word got round.   

Thanks for kind comment.

John C.

• RMweb Gold

You've done a great job there.  After an initial experiment I decided that Smith's couplings weren't flexible enough in more than one direction to do this, but you've proved me wrong!  The Exactoscale ones certainly will do it, and will probably look really good, but I think you have to a jeweller, watchmaker or skilled finescale modeller to manage it.  I'm none of the above but working on the last one! 

I agree that a 3D printed one (or conventionally manufactured spare) would be very popular with GW modellers once the word got round.   

Thanks for kind comment.

John C.

Thank you for your comment, John, but I think the coupling shown is from my spares box and is not the current offering from Smiths, and I don't recall it's origin. I have several frets of the old PC models couplings which would work if the centre link is twisted through 90 degrees so if that works I will post a picture!

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for your comment, John, but I think the coupling shown is from my spares box and is not the current offering from Smiths, and I don't recall it's origin. I have several frets of the old PC models couplings which would work if the centre link is twisted through 90 degrees so if that works I will post a picture!

I've just placed a PC models coupling on my modified hall - by putting a 90 degree twist in the central. link it stows quite well. Similar etches are available from Roxey models.

post-21027-0-37088500-1489318267_thumb.jpg

post-21027-0-58719700-1489318319_thumb.jpg

Edited by Limpley Stoker
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I've just placed a PC models coupling on my modified hall - by putting a 90 degree twist in the central. link it stows quite well. Similar etches are available from Roxey models.

Looks good.  I think I have a pair of similar Shire Scenes etched coupling frets somewhere, which might lend themselves to the same treatment. But I will have another go with the Exactoscale ones - perhaps when I get round to tarting up King and Castle.

John C.

• RMweb Gold

Those photo's are nice.

Seeing those Clerestories on your layout which makes a nice variety of coach stock in the train made me indulge in buying a couple of S/H one's, they are in bits at the moment being smarten up and detailed then they might get a light weathering as per photo's 

they alway seem to appear dirty where they must have sat in sidings most of the year. 

• RMweb Gold

Those photo's are nice.

Seeing those Clerestories on your layout which makes a nice variety of coach stock in the train made me indulge in buying a couple of S/H one's, they are in bits at the moment being smarten up and detailed then they might get a light weathering as per photo's 

they alway seem to appear dirty where they must have sat in sidings most of the year. 

Yes, they do add variety - and of course variety was the keynote of GWR stock formations.  I sometimes wonder if there was an unwritten rule that no two similar vehicles should be marshalled together!

I vaguely considered re-painting them in a slightly less antique livery but immediately realised that I'd lose the faux-panelling in the Hornby finish.  And it's better than nothing  - as one look at the slab-like sides of the Hornby version in post-1934 livery will attest! 

Edited by checkrail
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm not going to be heavily weathering them just a very light spray of tan on the underframes and darken the roofs down as you say you would lose too much panel detail if the sides were done, they now both sport Comet corridor connectors and buffers and some roundels have been applied just to update them a bit, if I could lay my hands on a trio of Slater ones I'd be more than happy but these will have to do for now.

Your photo's of the layout have inspired me to get a move on and start the point rodding, signal wire runs and ballasting so keep them coming.  :imsohappy:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Following Captain Kernow's tip I went back to the small prairies and improved or replaced the chunky Bachmann lamp irons.  

post-15399-0-08218300-1489579348_thumb.jpg

post-15399-0-05512000-1489579363_thumb.jpg

The front irons are actually a separately applied brass item, with spigots fixing them into the footplate.  A tug with pliers will usually bring them out, leaving the spigot slot ready to accept new irons -  or the old ones filed down, which is easy to do off the loco, by holding the spigot with pliers and using a needle file.  Trouble is that on occasion the spigot snaps off and stays cemented into the footplate, so I used 0.75mm ns strip to form new irons as CK recommended. 

The improved lamp irons now work as intended, with lamps easily removed or positions changed, and I've been able to dispense with glue, tacky wax etc.

The same story applies to the Bachmann Halls, though the Bachmann iron on the smokebox door is susceptible to very careful filing down, resulting in it also accommodating removable lamps.

So thanks Cap'n!

John C.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Following Captain Kernow's tip I went back to the small prairies and improved or replaced the chunky Bachmann lamp irons.  

attachicon.gifTale of two halls 029-min.JPG

attachicon.gifTale of two halls 030-min.JPG

The front irons are actually a separately applied brass item, with spigots fixing them into the footplate.  A tug with pliers will usually bring them out, leaving the spigot slot ready to accept new irons -  or the old ones filed down, which is easy to do off the loco, by holding the spigot with pliers and using a needle file.  Trouble is that on occasion the spigot snaps off and stays cemented into the footplate, so I used 0.75mm ns strip to form new irons as CK recommended. 

The improved lamp irons now work as intended, with lamps easily removed or positions changed, and I've been able to dispense with glue, tacky wax etc.

The same story applies to the Bachmann Halls, though the Bachmann iron on the smokebox door is susceptible to very careful filing down, resulting in it also accommodating removable lamps.

So thanks Cap'n!

Those lamp irons are a huge improvement as is the vac pipe, much better than the puny Bachmann effort, which is now forty years old- First appearing on their Manor.

Mike

John C.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same dilema regarding the topfeed/bunker steps. In the end I went down the K's route, partly topfeed, partly haulage requirements as my line has hills and the Bachmann panniers were not up to the challenge.

post-9992-0-52096000-1490526304_thumb.jpgpost-9992-0-15947300-1490526306_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

That brown vehicle train looks superb, have you considered "tarting" up some of the old Hornby P.O.wagons like Teign Valley Granite, Stoneycombe quarry, Candy of Heathfield.

The one's in the photo parked in the FY will be heavily weathered and battered, one thing I have done is renumber them and they will at some stage get loaded I've to find out what colour the stone they extracted there was. 

post-8647-0-17778300-1490693725_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

have you considered "tarting" up some of the old Hornby P.O.wagons like Teign Valley Granite, Stoneycombe quarry, Candy of Heathfield.

The one's in the photo parked in the FY will be heavily weathered and battered, one thing I have done is renumber them and they will at some stage get loaded I've to find out what colour the stone they extracted there was. 

Thanks 81C.  Yes, those brown vehicles don't look too bad from a distance!

I have a Teign Valley Granite wagon, but a whole bunch of them looks great.  I'd love to see pics of them after weathering.  I've also seen the Stoneycombe wagon and vaguely wondered whether to buy.  Think I'll now will look out for it.  But afraid Candy is a new one on me. 

As to the stone colour wouldn't the granite tors of Dartmoor suggest the right shade?  (Though I suppose newly cut stone could look different.)

John C.

• RMweb Gold

this one R 6073, Dapol do one but the printing is naff both models come up from time to time on ebay

http://www.hattons.co.uk/173626/Hornby_R6073_LN01_Candy_Co_Ltd_5_Plank_Wagon_No_111_Pre_owned_Like_new/StockDetail.aspx

I'm in Devon in July hob nobbing on the SDR Ocean Liner Express dining train it's just up the road so I will stop by to see if I can get a sample.  :whistle:  

Edited by 81C