Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Gold

Another source for wagons are these http://www.users.waitrose.com/~21oldway/ although aimed more at collectors the range offers something different and are a colourful addition.

With a bit of work you can fit these with either a Bachmann chassis or using the Cambrian parts. A useful way to get a few West Country wagons which are not in the POW sides range. I have a wagon from the Calne branch from them which is now fitted to a recent Bachmann chassis

• RMweb Gold

Another source for wagons are these http://www.users.waitrose.com/~21oldway/ although aimed more at collectors the range offers something different and are a colourful addition.

An eclectic selection eh Robin?  I particularly like the GWR drinking water tank wagon!  Some seem to be on Dapol chassis, and from their own notes and the appearance of the items some are more authentic than others.  Good to see something a bit different.

Cheers,

John.

• RMweb Gold

My approach for similar old Bachmann / Mainline wagons is to put them on a new chassis. Parkside and Cambrian both sell spare chassis parts (and the latter often have two different solvers in one spur so you get an extra with a kit.).

Add a bufferbeam from plastic strip, buffers from LMS and etched 3 irons and you have a very good wagon.

I have an old Bachmann brewery P.O. on the bench at the moment getting that treatment

Thanks for this Rich.  But don't you still end up with a 16' 6" wagon with a 10' steel underframe, or are we talking about different things?

John.

• RMweb Gold

Just to round off this unwonted flurry of posts from me here's another aspect of Powsides - using the transfers only.

Both these wagons form part of my 20 wagon coal train behind 2819.  The first (Main) started life as an Oxford Rail 'Leamington Priors Gas Co.' wagon in bright red, which I'd bought just to see how the OR wagons went together.  (Same as Bachmann, with solebar integral to the body).  It was repainted black and the Powsides transfers applied  - with far more ease than I'd expected, especially given all the raised strapping & rivet detail. I was anticipating making a right pig's ear of it, so was pleasantly surprised.

post-15399-0-81184800-1517159667_thumb.jpg

The other one is a standard Bachmann 7-plank RCH wagon which was finished in early GWR livery with 18" lettering.   I didn't make such a good job of this one, and you'll immediately see that the newly applied 'Ocean' lettering is a bit wonky.  Another thing on the long list of stuff to correct 'one day'.

post-15399-0-56911000-1517159936_thumb.jpg

On both these I used a weathered or dirty black (possibly Lifecolor?) so in the pics they look a bit more like grey. Would use a different shade in future, then weather down.

But it shows that for many wagons one could do worse that applying Powsides transfers to whatever Bachmann or Oxford vehicles one could pick up cheaply.

John C.

• Like 14

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

There is something undoubtedly, sublimely beautiful about an express in full GWR livery and a King at the front!

Indeed there is - those classic Maurice Earley pictures never fail to stir the soul.  The most iconic non-photo image might be the well known 'Speed to the West' poster, as depicted here on my mug of tea. But have you noticed that the artist portrayed the outside cylinder casings in lined green, rather than lined black?

post-15399-0-53051900-1523440897_thumb.jpg

Another favourite of mine is the front cover of Beck & Copsey's 'The Great Western in South Devon', (below) though there's no attribution in the book itself. Was this too a GW poster?  The book sits on a coffee table and the image catches my attention every time I walk into the living room.  Interestingly, in this one the artist has painted the coach ends brown (unless it was a very early use on his part of Railmatch frame dirt).

post-15399-0-52513500-1523441296_thumb.jpg

Still, these minor errors are as nothing to the artistic licence I get away with! 

John C.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

(First thing I must learn is how to make the camera focus on the loco rather than the gas lamp!)

Hi John,

Your camera probably has a setting Av or Aperture Priority. Then set it to the highest number it will go, perhaps f/16. That will set the aperture size (the hole in the lens) to its smallest. Which in turn will mean the maximum amount of the model will be in focus (depth of field).

The result will be that the shutter speed will be quite slow, so you will need to hold the camera very steady. Or alternatively support it on a tripod or bean bag, or whatever you can improvise. If the camera has a self-timer function, use that to delay the shot so that there are no vibrations from pressing the shutter.

cheers,

Martin.

Nice pictures but I did notice on the last batch that the focus point was in the wrong position.

Like in the second picture the goods shed is the main focal point.

Did you mention you had a new camera, if so does it have a touch sensitive screen where you can select what the camera focusses on.

Another trick is do set up for a small focus setting, on mine its called pinpoint.

Focus on the location with a half push of the button move to frame the picture still holding the button then when happy fully press to take.

Hope this helps

• RMweb Gold

How on earth have I missed this thread before. I really like the spaciousness and the different level and of course it's Great Western.

We'll done John, an excellent layout.

Brian Hunt

• RMweb Gold

But Castles are nice too - in fact, along with 45xxx tanks, my favourite locos.  Here are four pics of Laira's 'Tiverton Castle' on an up express from Plymouth.

attachicon.gif372 min.jpg

attachicon.gif376 min.jpg

attachicon.gif377 min.jpg

(First thing I must learn is how to make the camera focus on the loco rather than the gas lamp!)

attachicon.gif378 min.jpg

Whoops! - just noticed that the advance up starter is 'on'.  Guess 5041 is slowing to a halt due to trouble in't' tunnel.  That's my story anyway. 

John C.

Nice to see you posting again John.

• RMweb Gold

Here are another couple of views of the K22 van.

post-15399-0-32185000-1523544263_thumb.jpg

post-15399-0-80764100-1523544322_thumb.jpg

The moulded door handles and grab rails were carved off the K22 bodysides before assembly, and replaced with Brassmasters items.  (When slicing off the originals I had to squint a bit to see them, as of course they too were clear plastic.)  One nice feature of this kit was the plastic American type bogies, which run beautifully freely.

John C.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Here are another couple of views of the K22 van.

attachicon.gif386 min.jpg

attachicon.gifP1040336-2.jpg

The moulded door handles and grab rails were carved off the K22 bodysides before assembly, and replaced with Brassmasters items.  (When slicing off the originals I had to squint a bit to see them, as of course they too were clear plastic.)  One nice feature of this kit was the plastic American type bogies, which run beautifully freely.

John C.

The K22 looks very nice John. I have two, which I haven't started yet for fear of messing up the painting completely. My current thoughts are to mask the windows using white self-adhesive labels. I agree regarding the bogies - I've used them on some Airfix/Hornby Siphons too.