Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

What did you use for the windows on the centenary?

Good question. As a quick and easy fix, rather than use Comet sides, I've wondered about ruling in the window frames with a bow-pen.

The coach in the picture certainly looks convincing.

• RMweb Gold

What did you use for the windows on the centenary?

Hi Rich, Barry

I do remember Barry talking somewhere on this forum some time back about the difficulty of doing this with plastikard/microstrip, which I immediately understood when I thought of my own slapdash way with solvents.  (But I don't sniff much these days.)

The 'Airstream' type ventilators, which replaced the original 1935 'Beclawet' windows, are fabricated from strips of self-adhesive cream-coloured labels bought on a sheet from Online Labels.com and applied using photographs and drawings in the Russell books as a guide. The labels I used were EU30010CM, Standard Matt Cream.  (They match perfectly with the ex-Airfix van 3rd vehicle, but funnily enough not quite so exactly with my composites).  The labels themselves are 63.5mm x 72mm, but I cut long strips from the perimeter of the A4 sheet(s).

I made a template of a window aperture and marked the position of the vertical and horizontal elements of the ventilator frame on it (I also marked the level of the horizontal frames on the coach side with a pencil) and proceeded to cut the strips way over length, and remove the backing paper, before offering them up, sticking them in place, and trimming off (left & right or top & bottom) with a craft knife.  With the horizontal frame I ran one strip (c. 0.75mm wide) all along the carriage side before trimming away between windows. In the end I stopped using the template in favour of the mark 1 human eyeball, followed by checks with a small Perspex set-square and a bit of prodding with a cocktail stick.

It's far from perfect - if you don't get it right first time (I never do!) you end up with adhesive residue on the windows, which neither cocktail stick nor meths will completely remove.  So my centenaries have very dirty windows!  I have to say that I bought them as a job lot with windows already badly scratched, roof vents missing etc.  In due course it's my intention to acquire three rather more pristine vehicles and do it again - properly this time with the window insert taken out of the coach first. But this was, if you like, 'proof of concept'.

Some more pictures of the Paddington-Penzance rake behind 'King Henry V' will be forthcoming very soon.

John C.

• Like 3

Hi Rich, Barry

I do remember Barry talking somewhere on this forum some time back about the difficulty of doing this with plastikard/microstrip, which I immediately understood when I thought of my own slapdash way with solvents.  (But I don't sniff much these days.)

The 'Airstream' type ventilators, which replaced the original 1935 'Beclawet' windows, are fabricated from strips of self-adhesive cream-coloured labels bought on a sheet from Online Labels.com and applied using photographs and drawings in the Russell books as a guide. The labels I used were EU30010CM, Standard Matt Cream.  (They match perfectly with the ex-Airfix van 3rd vehicle, but funnily enough not quite so exactly with my composites).  The labels themselves are 63.5mm x 72mm, but I cut long strips from the perimeter of the A4 sheet(s).

I made a template of a window aperture and marked the position of the vertical and horizontal elements of the ventilator frame on it (I also marked the level of the horizontal frames on the coach side with a pencil) and proceeded to cut the strips way over length, and remove the backing paper, before offering them up, sticking them in place, and trimming off (left & right or top & bottom) with a craft knife.  With the horizontal frame I ran one strip (c. 0.75mm wide) all along the carriage side before trimming away between windows. In the end I stopped using the template in favour of the mark 1 human eyeball, followed by checks with a small Perspex set-square and a bit of prodding with a cocktail stick.

It's far from perfect - if you don't get it right first time (I never do!) you end up with adhesive residue on the windows, which neither cocktail stick nor meths will completely remove.  So my centenaries have very dirty windows!  I have to say that I bought them as a job lot with windows already badly scratched, roof vents missing etc.  In due course it's my intention to acquire three rather more pristine vehicles and do it again - properly this time with the window insert taken out of the coach first. But this was, if you like, 'proof of concept'.

Some more pictures of the Paddington-Penzance rake behind 'King Henry V' will be forthcoming very soon.

John C.

Hi John, 

Thanks for the insight into the Centenary windows - very useful, as I've got this modelling project on my to do list; but for a whole rake! Could I be so bold to ask whether you have any spare label sheets at all; and if so would you be interested in selling some? I have taken a look on Online Labels.com and it is only cost effective to buy in minimum quantities of 100 A4 sheets at 15.95, and I guesstimate that I would only need 20 or so A4 sheets!

Indeed, this is a call to interested RMwebbers whether they would be interested in splitting a batch of 100 sheets with me? PM me if interested. 

Cheers, 

CoY

• RMweb Gold

Its an interesting concept, one which could possibly be combined with a silhouette cutter to aid in mass producing the cutting.

At the moment I have one composite and one brake which are still as Airfix made them, with the thirds and left hand brake done with Comet sides.  My plan is to use Comet sides to convert another brake and composite into the restaurant pair, which leaves me with the final two Airfix coaches which need the windows added.  I was thinking about doing the composite and RH brake with more Comet sides, but now I am starting to think about trying the sticker option.

Re the colour, I would be thinking about spraying the sticker with the same colour that I spray the coach cream.

As an aside this has given me another thought (again made a lot easier with the silhouette cutter I keep thinking about buying).  On the Ian Rathbourn / Tony Wright painting DVD.  In the segment on lining locomotives, Ian describes a technique for producing boiler bands where you spray the base colour onto transfer film, then line on top of it (before cutting to size.)  Thinking about it this is exactly the same technique as with the sticky label, only without the sticky residue.  The downside is that it would be a lot thinner though potentially...  The solution to which would be commissioning a 3d transfer from Railtec....    Maybe for me at least, I will be better off just sticking with plan a and placing an order with Comet.  But I must say I am impressed with what you managed. 

• RMweb Gold

There's been a bit of interest in the centenary stock window conversions, so here are some ugly close-ups.  Given the exquisite models produced in brass by many of you on this forum I was a bit diffident about sharing a technique involving sticky labels as the main material.  It's what one might call the 'Blue Peter' school of modelling.

(And for my next project, a model of 'The Great Bear', made from a couple of toilet roll cores, some sticky-backed plastic, and a pair of Val's old knickers.)

Here's the van third ..... 

post-15399-0-47866400-1499764209_thumb.jpg

.... followed by a composite (compartment side) ...

post-15399-0-32206900-1499764228_thumb.jpg

.... and another composite (corridor side).

post-15399-0-00868000-1499764244_thumb.jpg

This was the second attempt at updating the windows.  The first time I had the horizontal framing a bit too wide - more like 1mm than 0.75mm.  I lived with it for a few weeks, but decided it looked all wrong and had to be done again.  Hence the dirty windows.

Prior to that I'd done some other bits of work on these battered old donor coaches.  Missing roof vents had been restored, moulded roof grab handles sliced off and replaced by handrail wire, roofs airbrushed with Lifecolor roof dirt, droplights painted venetian red, folding paper gangway connections fitted, and underframes/bogies dry-brushed with Lifecolor frame dirt. The corridor side of the compo was also fitted with an internal handrail from brass wire. 

Not exhibition models by any means, but they look the part from a distance, aided by my deteriorating eyesight.

(Rich's idea of using a silhouette cutter sounds interesting, though I confess I'm not quite sure what one of those is.)

A bit more soon about my new King-hauled train.

John C.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Hi John, 

Thanks for the insight into the Centenary windows - very useful, as I've got this modelling project on my to do list; but for a whole rake! Could I be so bold to ask whether you have any spare label sheets at all; and if so would you be interested in selling some? I have taken a look on Online Labels.com and it is only cost effective to buy in minimum quantities of 100 A4 sheets at 15.95, and I guesstimate that I would only need 20 or so A4 sheets!

Indeed, this is a call to interested RMwebbers whether they would be interested in splitting a batch of 100 sheets with me? PM me if interested. 

Cheers, 

CoY

Hi CoY

IIRC there's a facility on the website for ordering a smaller quantity - I got 10 - and though the cost per sheet was far more I think I spent 6 or 7 quid in total.  But I have 4 spare and would be happy to let you have them if you PM me your postal address and refund postage cost when you get them.  It might also be worth looking round places like Rymans, Office World, or what's left of Staples.

John C.

Hi John,

The Silhouette Cutter has been the subject of a very informative thread and can be found here if you wish to discover its possibilities

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79025-a-guide-to-using-the-silhouette-cameo-cutter/

I never regretted purchasing one.

Here are my first attempts at producing a coach albeit a GWR Dynamometer Car, not perfect but reasonable results can be had.

post-20303-0-85009600-1499769453_thumb.jpeg

post-20303-0-41297200-1499769516_thumb.jpeg

Still on the workbench and in need of tidying up currently.

Grahame

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

The Silhouette Cutter has been the subject of a very informative thread and can be found here if you wish to discover its possibilities

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79025-a-guide-to-using-the-silhouette-cameo-cutter/

I never regretted purchasing one.

Here are my first attempts at producing a coach albeit a GWR Dynamometer Car, not perfect but reasonable results can be had.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Still on the workbench and in need of tidying up currently.

Grahame

Awesome!  Loads of possibilities there.  And very nice dyno car.

• RMweb Premium

Good question. As a quick and easy fix, rather than use Comet sides, I've wondered about ruling in the window frames with a bow-pen.

The coach in the picture certainly looks convincing.

I did that with some BR maroon ones. As the colour is less conspicuous than cream would be it looks OK at normal viewing distances. No pics unfortunately.

• RMweb Gold

I did that with some BR maroon ones. As the colour is less conspicuous than cream would be it looks OK at normal viewing distances. No pics unfortunately.

I've just thought of another possible approach.  Use microstrip, to ensure uniformity of width, painting it to required shade of cream first, and apply it to the windows with double sided tape (sellotape/Scotch tape type).  I've been using such tape quite a bit recently, e.g. to attach home-made fall plates to locos, folded paper gangways to coach ends, destination boards to coach roofs etc. With the roof boards for instance, I stick a strip of tape down onto a cutting mat or a piece of glass, press the back of the roof board down onto the tape, then cut round the edges of the board with a craft knife.  Then I peel the board off the mat/glass together with its new self-adhesive backing, and apply it to the coach.  As it obviates the use of solvents it might lend itself to the fabrication of airstream ventilators?

John C.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A final handful of the King with the Penzance express, including a couple of helicopter shots showing my perfunctory nod to the world beyond the railway fence - two and a half buildings representing the fringes of the village of Stoke Courtenay.  In the fourth shot you can see the beginning of the fiddleyard behind the tunnel.

attachicon.gifKing & 28xx 021-min.JPG

attachicon.gifKing & 28xx 022-min.JPG

attachicon.gifKing & 28xx 023-min.JPG

attachicon.gifKing & 28xx 024-min.JPG

attachicon.gifKing & 28xx 025-min.JPG

Now back to work to sort out the last (for now) untreated train - the brown vehicles.  I have some old siphons whose ancient couplings keep the buffers of adjacent vehicles about 6 scale feet apart, and one with BR Mark 1 bogies fitted with Lima's pizza cutter wheels.  And they all still have horribly glaring white roofs.

John C.

I recommend you replace the bogies under any Lima vehicle I've used Hornby (old) & Bachmann Collett bogies on some of them that in its self will also reduce the gap, van numbers are in Russell's pictorial Vol 2

Here is one of my CRE coaches having Comet Composite brake sides attached the one below is an old Hornby Collett getting the same treatment with Dia E127 Composite Brake sides.

post-8647-0-39802200-1499864023_thumb.jpg

Regards Bob

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I recommend you replace the bogies under any Lima vehicle I've used Hornby (old) & Bachmann Collett bogies on some of them that in its self will also reduce the gap, van numbers are in Russell's pictorial Vol 2

Here is one of my CRE coaches having Comet Composite brake sides attached the one below is an old Hornby Collett getting the same treatment with Dia E127 Composite Brake sides.

attachicon.gifWP_20170712_13_45_24_Pro.jpg

Regards Bob

Thanks for this.  Nice work Bob.  Brass might be step forward for me when I get into phase 3. Am currently assembling some 247 9ft American bogies for the Lima siphon. I opened up the hole in the floor for the Lima bogie spigot a little and have glued 8 BA nuts therein, so should be easy to fit, once I get the Gibson axles to fit in the bogies. ( I shouldn't have glued the brass pin-point bearings into the axle boxes.  There's a little bit of reaming going on round here!

John C.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Now back to work to sort out the last (for now) untreated train - the brown vehicles.  I have some old siphons whose ancient couplings keep the buffers of adjacent vehicles about 6 scale feet apart, and one with BR Mark 1 bogies fitted with Lima's pizza cutter wheels.  And they all still have horribly glaring white roofs.

John C.

Inspired by a post on ANTB where Rob "corrected" a SIPHON G (inside frame) I did mine last year.  Six in one go using Bachmann Collett bogies, and correct buffers in whitemetal, renumbered (using Slinn as a reference) and finally got rid of the awful white roofs.  A dramatic difference for not a lot of skill or money.

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry - I should have added that Bachmann bogies are available to buy in a pack of 2 bogies with wheels and couplings.  Saves buying the whole coach and scrapping it just to get bogies.

I have no aversion to white roofs on NPCCS, especially if you are modelling the "picture postcard pretty, Shirtbutton era" . (Late 40s urban for me)

I use the word "Awful" in the post above, because Lima SIPHON G roofs are badly painted with far too much over spray into the adjacent colour.