RMweb

Do double standards exist in this hobby?

Norman Wisenden, died in 1997, established 1957, Arcadia opened around 1997, Norman Wisendens shop was sold to new owners, either when he was dying of cancer or had already passed away , who then run the shop for a bit, then they sold the original shop and moved into a mill in Mossley.

He died in 2007.

I liked visiting Normans shop back around 2001 as I had a lot of planning work around Oldham at that time. Norman was a true gent, he always made me (and other customers) welcome with a cup of tea. Yes prices were list but he had a fantastic selection of odds and sods, as well as many interesting books. I was amazed to find some American O gauge freight cars upstairs which he let me have for next to nothing as he was about to chuck them out !.

I later visited with the new owners who were also helpful and tried their best. Sorry the shop closed though, it was a bit off the beaten track - easier to get to by train than by car - unlike Hattons !!.

Norman died in 2007.  http://rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11433

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO

• 5 months later...

I've got a caboose which came with a smoke unit. Can't leave this running long indoors because it starts to get foggy.

This is made by USA Trains. Their diesel locos come fitted with the same smoke and nit as standard. Because I like to keep to high standards I have bought some diesel scented smoke oil. My GP7 running with both fan assisted exhausts pumping smoke is a great sight. This of course is not serious modelling.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I've got a caboose which came with a smoke unit. Can't leave this running long indoors because it starts to get foggy.

https://youtu.be/gonlZ5_g0YM

This is made by USA Trains. Their diesel locos come fitted with the same smoke and nit as standard. Because I like to keep to high standards I have bought some diesel scented smoke oil. My GP7 running with both fan assisted exhausts pumping smoke is a great sight. This of course is not serious modelling.

looks like snoop dogg's boudoir

Location, location, location. I live in the middle of rural france, the nearest model shop, 60 miles away. By the time i have  been to it and back, not only have i paid the full price, but a lot more, if you count the fuel. Buy it from hattons, 20% saved, plus nominal postage. Thats the case for the defence. john

There were PO-liveried coal wagons about into the 1950s and even early 1960s but they were in a pretty sorry state having not been painted for about 20 years.

Some of the PO RCH 13t wooden minerals had been built during the War and were as such relatively new wagons!

RCH 13 t minerals were still in use by the NCB in to the mid 1980's!

Mark Saunders

And how many for a Deltic firing up?

I'm not sure what that looks like, but this is just opening the handle

www.train-photos.com/picture/number3368.asp

And a selection of other Alcos doing what they do best

www.flickriver.com/groups/alco_smoke/pool/interesting

Are there enough smoke units in the world?

Having just read through the whole of this a few things spring to mind.

The vast majority of contributors to this forum model in one of the commercial scale - yeah me too. 0, 00 and N are narrow gauge and in most cases run on track with the wrong rail section and sleeper spacing. H0 puts the gauge right(ish) but accepts the rest. In most cases the wheels are just plain wrong and loco frames and brake gear in the wrong place to match their prototype relation to the body above whether or not it's the right shade of green. when we've stopped complaining whether the colour's right or not we happily run the stuff through curves and points that are nowhere near scale radii into platforms that are generally way to short and/ or narrow - yeah I'm guilty of that too. There are modellers who try to get it right by going to 2mmFS, S4 or S7 but the compromises dictated by available space often apply to them as well and most modellers happily accept that they will have to use electric motors instead of hot fog - that'd me as well.

At the end of the day most of us would I believe accept that we are big boys (and girls) playing with toy trains. They might be as close to scale as our respective skills allow but instead of debating 'double standards' maybe we should just accept the hobby for what it is - an enjoyable, constructive and highly satisfying pass time. If the colour of a rtr loco is wrong and it's a problem re-spray it - it's not hard and you can get most colours in rattle cans. Changing the lining isn't difficult either. It's called modelling and at least it creates variety.

There are modelers spending countless hours getting every rivet on a pre-grouping scratch built model in the right place and there are modellers quite happy with, for example Hornby Dublo. Good luck to them all. The important thing is to enjoy what you've got. If you can or have the desire to improve on what's been offered go for it and enjoy what you're doing.

Edited by RexAshton
  • Like 8

People complain about how there are not any local model shops around where they live, yet they then describe how they ordered 400 quid of stuff from an online box shifter.

A major reason why there aren't any model shops nearby is the cost of rents. This means that a retailer has to maximise the return on every square inch of shelf space. This is why the only model shops that still exist, as far as can see, are those that cater for the RC enthusiast. The product costs a fortune (at least to my eyes) but the return on shelf space is enough to keep the shop going and pay the owner's mortgage. The general run of railway modelling, RTR or kits, just doesn't retail a at high enough price to pay the rent compared with the size of the shop.

A know that this doesn't apply to firms like Hattons but they have the space and the volume of sales to keep their head above water. But, having said that, even they moved out of their Liverpool premises and I wouldn't mind betting it was because the rent on their previous site went up to the point where the survival of the business was at stake. Liverpool is booming right now and it's about time too.

In addition, the sheer volume of products available on the net gives it an enormous advantage, and, it is available on a screen just front of you. My experience, and I do most dealings on the net or at exhibitions, that the net is more expensive because of postage mostly, but it is so much more convenient than ringing round trying to get a supplier for a must have item.

I case in point is when I wanted a lens hood. No more photographic shops in Harrow for the same reason, rents are too high. So I took myself off to Tottenham Court Road and found that not one shop had one. Again, the reason is that shelf space is at a premium because of sky-high rents. I came home, switched on the computer, called up Amazon and within a few minutes I had one, bought from an agent of Amazon in Germany. But, the article was made in China and shipped from Hong Kong. All for a 52mm lens hood!

If traders want to thrive they have to get an internet presence, a good internet presence, and put in the hard work at model railway exhibitions. In addition, the organisers of model railway exhibitions have to do their part and invite layouts which will attract modellers who will buy from traders. Too many layouts are simply a showcase for RTR and the traders who sell stuff to make a model railway lose out.

A shame perhaps, but there's no other way.

Regards

Edited by PenrithBeacon
  • Like 1