More Pre-Grouping Wagons in 4mm - the D299 appreciation thread.

Sticking my neck out here, but I wonder if you could you use the Bachmann chassis under a 17" Goods body?

The Coal Tank was simply a tank engine version of the 17" Goods. So the wheels and wheelbase would be correct.

Whether Bachmann used the space in the side tanks to accommodate the mechanism is the question . This photo shows a 17" Goods built from a M&L kit some years ago, coupled to a LRM tender. There isn't much room in the boiler/firebox so this P4 version is powered by a Mashima 1224 driving the back axle and inclined up into the firebox, leaving the space under the boiler free. This white metal kit is no longer available AFAIK. I think it may have become part of the Alan Gibson range but isn't shown in their price list. LRM do an etched n/s kit.

post-1191-0-89304200-1492625752_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

The Coal Tank was simply a tank engine version of the 17" Goods. So the wheels and wheelbase would be correct.

Whether Bachmann used the space in the side tanks to accommodate the mechanism is the question . This photo shows a 17" Goods built from a M&L kit some years ago, coupled to a LRM tender. There isn't much room in the boiler/firebox so this P4 version is powered by a Mashima 1224 driving the back axle and inclined up into the firebox, leaving the space under the boiler free. This white metal kit is no longer available AFAIK. I think it may have become part of the Alan Gibson range but isn't shown in their price list. LRM do an etched n/s kit.

attachicon.gif17 Inch Goods on London Road.jpg

Thanks.  Great work.

I’m still planning further Huntley & Palmer wagons from the other batches. I have a plan for the dumb-buffered 1873 batch, using another Cambrian kit C74 and modified Gloucester underframe. From wagonman’s information, I had assumed that the 1903 batch of ten steel-framed wagons from the Birmingham Wagon Co were literally ‘same again’ – i.e. four planks, raised ends, but this photo from the Huntley & Palmers collection clearly shows a couple of 6-plank steel-framed wagons, the nearer one having an oval plate on the right-hand end of the second plank – the arrangement of the lettering is clear too, but alas the number is out of sight at the left-hand end. So now I need to track down at least two of the former Slaters kit 4035 for the Gloucester 6-plank side-door only wagon – one for a wagon from the 1907 Gloucester batch and another as the basis for conversion to one of these 1903 Birmingham wagons. The only ones I’ve seen on ebay were pre-printed kits (distressing to repaint!) which went for more than I was prepared to pay.

The 6 plank wagons look as if they were built to the 1907 RCH specs so would presumably come after the Gloucester order and have carried numbers above 25. The records I had access to didn't go that late!

Glad to have been of help – some very nice models coming off your workbench!

Richard

• Like 1

Im not exactly understanding your reasoning, but Ill wait and see.

I've noticed on some of my Slaters 4mm wagons that the circular moulding marks can be quite obvious on the inside surfaces of the sides. A coke wagon seemed particularly bad, but of the two D299s I've made they are apparent, but not too severe on one ('dirty' weathering subdued them somewhat) and not very obvious on the other - it may be a bit of a lucky dip depending on the batch they come from.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I've noticed on some of my Slaters 4mm wagons that the circular moulding marks can be quite obvious on the inside surfaces of the sides. A coke wagon seemed particularly bad, but of the two D299s I've made they are apparent, but not too severe on one ('dirty' weathering subdued them somewhat) and not very obvious on the other - it may be a bit of a lucky dip depending on the batch they come from.

Model them loaded...

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Model them loaded...

Andy

Quite. The problem has to do with the wrong relationship between the floor, headstocks and solebars - essentially the solebars are too deep. The way I deal with this results in the wagon being too shallow on the inside. I'm preparing a photo-tutorial on how I build a D299 wagon... 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Quite. The problem has to do with the wrong relationship between the floor, headstocks and solebars - essentially the solebars are too deep. The way I deal with this results in the wagon being too shallow on the inside. I'm preparing a photo-tutorial on how I build a D299 wagon...

I'm very interested and will watch with interest. I've made many slaters wagons over the years and have many more in the kits box to make.

Andy

• Like 1

Id like to see that because Im thoroughly confused. I have a Slaters D299 sitting next to me with midified interior, as well as a copy of a works drawing for the diagram hanging on my wall, and its really accurate to the prototype in relation.
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Id like to see that because Im thoroughly confused. I have a Slaters D299 sitting next to me with midified interior, as well as a copy of a works drawing for the diagram hanging on my wall, and its really accurate to the prototype in relation.

Sorry, it's really annoying when people point out obvious typos, but, presumably, a "midified" interior is one full of sh1te! 

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, it's really annoying when people point out obvious typos, but, presumably, a "midified" interior is one full of sh1te! 

That'll be the one I'm converting to a D344 manure wagon...

Thanks to Tricky's pioneering work in this field, we can look forward to a protypical load. Scale odour is an area for further development...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

That'll be the one I'm converting to a D344 manure wagon...

Thanks to Tricky's pioneering work in this field, we can look forward to a protypical load. Scale odour is an area for further development...

I cant comprehend the decision to remove doors on the D334. Shoveling coal over a 3' wall is bad enough. Sh1t is a different beast.

I cant comprehend the decision to remove doors on the D334. Shoveling coal over a 3' wall is bad enough. Sh1t is a different beast.

Surely the absence of doors would allow the wagon to be fairly well sealed.  You wouldn't want this precious load leaking out along the tracks.  And who would volunteer to open the door, to be confronted by a wall of slurry?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Surely the absence of doors would allow the wagon to be fairly well sealed.  You wouldn't want this precious load leaking out along the tracks.  And who would volunteer to open the door, to be confronted by a wall of slurry?

We've been here before - as recently as January - over on Castle Aching, where they're currently discussing the difference between a Norse and a Viking.

Stable manure is usually pretty dry; I've just put a load on the veg beds. What did the railways do with the thousands of tons of the stuff they produced every year? Were there rail-served allotments somewhere, or did it go to the Rhubarb Triangle to be mixed with shoddy?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Stable manure is usually pretty dry; I've just put a load on the veg beds. What did the railways do with the thousands of tons of the stuff they produced every year? Were there rail-served allotments somewhere, or did it go to the Rhubarb Triangle to be mixed with shoddy?

See my previous post for a link to the thread where this was discussed recently. In summary, some railways had contracts with some urban authorities for removal of horse manure and / or night soil with disposal being for agricultural use. Photographic evidence was presented for the Caledonian's contract with the Glasgow Police - that body being responsible for keeping the streets clear of more than one type of offence... In the case of the Midland D344 wagon, the four batches of 20 - 30 wagons each may indicate four separate contracts. The official photo of a wagon from one of these batches shows it with a cast plate "Return to Nottingham", which suggests a contract with that city. In Midland Wagons, Bob Essery speculated that they were for manure generated by cattle in transit but that now seems unlikely. 

• Informative/Useful 1