Buy & Sell Intrusion

A section of Buy & Sell new items has appeared top right, displacing my followed topics list.

This is very annoying.  How might I make it go away (without losing my followed topics list)?

Thanks

James

• RMweb Gold

Duplicate answer removed due to Andy et al beating me to it...

Though I have to say that I rather like the Buy and Sell change (assuming it is applying to private sales as well as the shop sellers).  Getting move visibility of what is currently for sale on Buy and Sell both on the front screen and through Active Topics, should hopefully get more people looking at whats for sale and help make it a more useful resource for selling in comparison to Ebay etc.

• Administrators

Despite what some believe, we're working hard to improve RMweb Buy & Sell. The search facility was its main downfall, but that's now working great and is a huge improvement. We now need to make people more aware of the site, and the products listed within it...hence this change. Is it really that bad to have a small box on the Forum Landing Page, showing the latest listings? I think not. I suppose some people just don't like change...

But it is the inclusion of such things which (help) pay for the facilities used.

Fair point, but that in itself does not stop it being an inconvenience in its current location; I no longer have followed topics at a glance, but must scroll down.

Yes, this effort won't exactly kill me, but, then, making the new listings smaller or putting it somewhere less intrusive wouldn't kill the site.

Same size, right under followed topics would be absolutely fine.

I think not. I suppose some people just don't like change...

That is because not all change is for the better.

If you move your mouse to the right hand side of the title bar, a tiny black cross appears. If you click on it, the "buy and sell" entries disappear. But not the title bar.

Thank you.  I was too stupid to work that out for myself, so that was helpful! I suppose I will have to do that every time, but at least I can see what I want to see more clearly.

Ooh, it appears to stay minimised, hurrah!

• RMweb Gold

Duplicate answer removed due to Andy et al beating me to it...

Though I have to say that I rather like the Buy and Sell change (assuming it is applying to private sales as well as the shop sellers).  Getting move visibility of what is currently for sale on Buy and Sell both on the front screen and through Active Topics, should hopefully get more people looking at whats for sale and help make it a more useful resource for selling in comparison to Ebay etc.

Agree with that!

Its very easy to miss something, but this highlights things nicely.

Having sold one of my layouts through B&S from a non RM-Webber I have to say it all worked very well.

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Thank you.  I was too stupid to work that out for myself, so that was helpful! I suppose I will have to do that every time, but at least I can see what I want to see more clearly.

Ooh, it appears to stay minimised, hurrah!

The setting for these panels is saved in a cookie on your computer. If you clear cookies regularly (as I do) then the panels all return to default.

Edit: just to make a request. Is it possible to make the panels (including the B&S one) moveable so we can choose what order they are in?

Edit: just to make a request. Is it possible to make the panels (including the B&S one) moveable so we can choose what order they are in?

I can change the order (apart from the B&S one at the top as it runs from a separate modification) but it's not user configurable.

I suppose some people just don't like change...

Right. This may well get me kicked off RMweb, but,

How's about placing B&S* where the sun doesn't shine? If Warners aren't happy at this being a free-at-the-point-of-use site (& fair play if they're not), then introduce a straightforward PAYG subscription**.

No? Oh well, I suppose some people just don't like change.....

* From an ex-buyer & seller from simpler times

** From an ex-contributor, & happy to do so once more

• RMweb Premium

It's always a shame when the forum loses one or more members when a change occurs. I get irritated at advertising too, but it's far less intrusive here than elsewhere on the web. The forum isn't free to run, whether that be by Warners, or back in the day as it was when operated by Andy Y independently. In fact, if it was still independent, I've a feeling Andy would have had to put in advertising to a greater degree than is in it now. I hope that this change, which to be honest is pretty minor, proves not to be such a turn off as this thread might make it appear.

A site like this, where a lot of us spend far too much time, is like that old, comfortable pair of slippers you wouldn't be without.  One has grown used to them, and they fit. So, even apparently minor changes assume a surprising significance.  While I am sorry to make a fuss, to be honest, it did bother me to have things rearranged in a less convenient fashion.  If I am strictly honest, the fact that it was in the name of advertising, to me, did add a slither of insult to the grain of injury.  Others are, of course, free to disagree, and to consider my view point unreasonable or selfish.  I simply felt like someone who has got comfortable in his bed only to have to get up to let the dog out.

That said, there needs to be a balance.  Now that I realise the B&S new listings can remain minimised, I find the change does not impinge.  When I next find myself in funds, I shall be the first actively to seek out B&S!

I am sorry if I had started a topic that might engender discontent.  Perhaps I should have thought better of it.  Mr Y and his colleagues do a wonderful job, and this issue is an essentially trivial one.

• RMweb Gold

I'm happy with the change if it doesn't start looping through a number of items. I'm afraid I'm easily distracted.

To be honest, and I realise I'll sound a bit dense, but I've never really understood how the threads are chosen for the My Followed Topics box. The threads listed are often ones that have not been updated for some time and don't seem to correspond to the ones in the menu. I tend to use the menu under my account name to view the followed topics and topics I've contributed to.

If you fancy a suggestion, you could have the "RMweb Buy & Sell - New Listings" title or a "More Stuff" link below the three ads to click through the the B&S page.

What a lot of fuss about nothing. I don't just mean the B&S panel, but the site changes in general. The B&S panel can be minimized as others have said. However, as someone that clears cookies regularly, it's back at the next log-in. Oh well, nobody died. I used the 2013 theme because it was (in my humble opinion) the least offensive to my eyes. That theme is dead, long live the new theme. I'm sure I'll get used to that too.

I don't like change either, I just accepted a long time ago that there's sod-all I can do about it.

I need to go to Norwich next week. Somebody told me that the dirty smelly Class 101 DMUs have been replaced by something cleaner and made of plastic called a Sprinter, whatever that is??? I doubt I'll like that either, but I'm sure it will get me to where I'm going.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

If you want the site to remain as a free forum and information/knowledge source - the B & S needs to be here.

If you set your home page to 'View New Content' you don't get the B & S board header at all.

post-6887-0-74207900-1469776324.jpg

As others have already said - you can minimise the B & S Section anyway.

Cookies - You have the power and choice to delete cookies. I know a lot of users do this the simple way - Delete all Cookies, but you can manually do this and keep the cookies you want.

Thanks

Threads like this highlight how differently people use RMweb.  My default RMweb opening page is "Content you follow" from which the new B&S box cannot be seen. I had to search round the site to understand what this new feature was. Now I've found it I have to say it looks quite useful. I used to flick on the old "classified" section periodically but rarely look at B&S - if this provides a snippet of newly listed items, then excellent. And if it helps fund RMweb then even better!

• RMweb Premium

I'm happy with the change if it doesn't start looping through a number of items. I'm afraid I'm easily distracted.

To be honest, and I realise I'll sound a bit dense, but I've never really understood how the threads are chosen for the My Followed Topics box. The threads listed are often ones that have not been updated for some time and don't seem to correspond to the ones in the menu. I tend to use the menu under my account name to view the followed topics and topics I've contributed to.

If you fancy a suggestion, you could have the "RMweb Buy & Sell - New Listings" title or a "More Stuff" link below the three ads to click through the the B&S page.

'My Followed Topics' gets its listing from any threads you have set to follow using the 'Follow this topic' button in the top right of the thread:

post-6714-0-92313400-1469777607.png

You can manage your followed topics from the 'Content I Follow' section of your profile:

post-6714-0-59322800-1469777644.png

But beware: there is a home screen error if you reduce your followed topics below seven.

• RMweb Gold

Personally I didn't notice the changes until this thread highlighted them to me....I don't mind them and don't find them intrusive at all.

For me the red line would be either popup adverts or auto-playing video clips with adverts loaded. This is the case on any site - especially ones that hijack the volume settings on tablets/phones.

For me the red line would be either popup adverts or auto-playing video clips with adverts loaded. This is the case on any site - especially ones that hijack the volume settings on tablets/phones.

That would be intolerable and very much contrary to the present feel of RMWeb. 

While trying to understand and take a balanced view of any changes, this is in the context of a cherished site that relies upon regular adherents feeling comfortable, a happy situation that could easily upset by the vulgarities of "in-your-face" advertising.

I don't know if you've noticed, but in case you haven't, the August edition of BRM is out now. For someone who generally has an aversion to buying anything that's heavily advertised, I won't be buying it, or any future edition. The only exception might be if I discover it contains a really useful article on the broad gauge, early 1900s GWR, or a Colonel Stephens railway, and I happen to be near a newsagent before it sells out.

I had a nose around in Buy & Sell yesterday, and there's absolutely nothing there that I'm remotely interested in buying. I couldn't even find any auctions where I might have a chance to grab a real bargain.

At least eBay targets me with adverts there's a vague possibility I may be interested in. Even if they are sometimes things I wouldn't be seen dead buying, because I only looked at something related as it was in the Ebay Madness topic!

• RMweb Premium

To be able to have individually targeted advertising on a forum like RMweb, there would need to be analysis software running in the background constantly checking what members are posting about and trying to interpret that into appropriate adverts. That's pretty much impossible for Google to get right properly, so I don't think it's likely to happen here. Even if it was possible, would anyone be happy with that level of intrusion into their postings (even though those postings are public)?

To be able to have individually targeted advertising on a forum like RMweb, there would need to be analysis software running in the background constantly checking what members are posting about and trying to interpret that into appropriate adverts. That's pretty much impossible for Google to get right properly, so I don't think it's likely to happen here. Even if it was possible, would anyone be happy with that level of intrusion into their postings (even though those postings are public)?

I wasn't really expecting it, especially for my odd interests. It just gets really irritating being bombarded by in your face adverts for things I have no interest in. And I haven't yet found a way to block them!

Archived