Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium

A few photographs from this weekend’s Torbay air show.

DSC07196.jpeg.7210724be6a51e16bbe38648fff2b6a3.jpeg

DSC07279.jpeg.c53de1a79b3745b51fd3cc2e07b8c8a8.jpeg

DSC07371.jpeg.c008626e6b0c4945d431fa765dda4ae6.jpeg

DSC07555.jpeg.b35b77ef5a7fc2fa2cbddd825b9b6693.jpeg

DSC07591.jpeg.9b168b34cc5d792ff37eae1a7789858d.jpeg

DSC07689.jpeg.c88495dcc5cdb665a23f430504f76e1f.jpeg

DSC07830.jpeg.a36966d960fd5c776a645ba1365609fe.jpeg

DSC07254.jpeg

DSC07466.jpeg

DSC07294.jpeg

Edited by MPR
  • Like 17
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

I note the norwegian.com a/c is registered in Sweden

From what I can find out, they have...

35 737's  (28  737-800  &  7 MAX 8)  registered in Sweden

45 737's  (39  737-800  &  6 MAX 8)  registered in Norway

With more MAX 8's on order.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

A lot of airlines seem to have overseas operations which are somewhat at odds with the name on the fuselage.

A few years ago I flew to Copenhagen with SAS. When I boarded the flight all the announcements were for 'SAS Europe' and the crew were all Irish or British, apparently SAS established an Irish subsidiary to get around domestic labour laws and issues. However the ticketing and livery etc were just SAS. A friend is a (Danish) former SAS pilot and he wasn't at all impressed by it.

Over the years BA has had various franchise operators including overseas which operated in BA livery, such as Sun Air and Comair in South Africa. I made a few flights with Air France which were operated by its Irish subsidiary (at the time) CityJet.

The Vietnamese LCC Vietjet has a Thai subsidiary, in that case they do have Vietjet Thailand on the tail.

For quite a few years there was a political game in which oversea airlines serving Taiwan set up local Taiwanese subsidiaries to serve the island such as KLM Asia and British Asia Airways in order to serve both Chinas (PRC & ROC). That ended when Beijing realized it was a bit pointless to throw tantrums over foreign airlines serving Taiwan and things thawed between Beijing and Taipei.

Edited by jjb1970
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

7 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

From what I can find out, they have...

35 737's  (28  737-800  &  7 MAX 8)  registered in Sweden

45 737's  (39  737-800  &  6 MAX 8)  registered in Norway

With more MAX 8's on order.

Prior to covid there were many incarnations of Norwegian - Norwegian Air Uk , NAI ( Ireland ) , spain etc ..

Which makes it real easy when a pandemic occurs to say an individual part is bankrupt and keep the rest . That way you don't pay severance , don't honour people's notice pay and let them rely on the UK insolvency service for a bit of cash .

You can probably guess how I know this !

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 01/06/2023 at 17:22, 5944 said:

DSC_28822.JPG.2cce0995905eb6b64ffd6dc694be3459.JPG

Not the best shot in the world (the rest are on the camera) but six Merlins taxying up and down the runway at East Kirkby on Monday was rather pleasant! Shame they weren't out on the runway a bit later for the BBMF display with the Lancaster, a Spitfire and a Hurricane.

Think the Mosquito is still the best looking aircraft ever.

All the best

Katy

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Personally I think there are 'best looking aircraft' in various subcategories, ie, Mosquito = WW2 era twin piston a/c.  Lockheed Constellation = 4 engine piston airliner.  VC10 = 4 engine jet airliner. etc, etc.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Kickstart said:

Think the Mosquito is still the best looking aircraft ever.

They are making a new one as well. 😀

Building the first De Havilland Mosquito in the UK in more than 70 years! The De Havilland DH.98 Mosquito enjoys legendary status. This exemplar of British aeronautical design genius is moulded around its graceful lines, its unmatched performance and unrivalled versatility. Unquestionably, the De Havilland Mosquito’s story deserves to be told.

https://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk/

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

Similar to above, according to Flightradar, the 07.15 LHR to Thessaloniki this morning was operated by a Finnair A320 as Speedbird 772.

Brian

With Russian airspace closed to European airlines, some of Finnair’s routes are not viable, or even possible, at the moment and so they have an excess of capacity. The use of some Finnair aircraft on (fellow OneWorld alliance airline) BA routes has been ongoing for some time. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I'm not so sure about the elegance of the "new Mosquito drones"

“Our £30m contract to design and manufacture the prototype for an uncrewed fighter aircraft, known as Mosquito, is supporting more than 100 jobs in Belfast. In 2023 we will be looking to conduct a flight-test programme for the demonstrator.”

Team MOSQUITO, which also includes Northrop Grumman UK, will mature the designs and manufacture a technology demonstrator to generate evidence for the LANCA programme.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/new-british-mosquito-fighter-aircraft-to-fly-in-2023/

LANCA = "Lightweight Affordable Novel Combat Aircraft"

Sorry, but it's hard to get excited about pictures of contemporary airliners.  They are more interesting to work on than see in the air!  A bit like my trains, great to build but boring to run.....

The most interesting aircraft I have worked on and enjoyed seeing fly is the V-22 Osprey.....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

Sorry, but it's hard to get excited about pictures of contemporary airliners.  They are more interesting to work on than see in the air!  A bit like my trains, great to build but boring to run.....

The most interesting aircraft I have worked on and enjoyed seeing fly is the V-22 Osprey.....

But aircraft are like toy trains - it's a broad church of interest from cessnas to B52s , everyone will like something different .

The osprey is intriguing but the mechanics make me nervous . " flying death trap " always comes to mind when i see it , probably unjustly !

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, rob D2 said:

The osprey is intriguing but the mechanics make me nervous . " flying death trap " always comes to mind when i see it , probably unjustly !

Mechanically it is not that different from a twin rotor helicopter.  Both require a shaft connecting the rotor gearboxes to ensure the rotors/propellors are synchronized and can both be driven by one engine in case of engine failure.  Fully articulated rotor heads on helicopters are more complex than the V-22 propellors which are more like regular variable pitch props on fixed wing aircraft except that for storage they can fold like many helicopter blades.  Yes, the nacelles rotate on pivots with actuators, and independently for cyclic control in the hover mode, but on a regular helicopter you need a tail rotor.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Jeff Smith said:

Mechanically it is not that different from a twin rotor helicopter.  Both require a shaft connecting the rotor gearboxes to ensure the rotors/propellors are synchronized and can both be driven by one engine in case of engine failure.  Fully articulated rotor heads on helicopters are more complex than the V-22 propellors which are more like regular variable pitch props on fixed wing aircraft except that for storage they can fold like many helicopter blades.  Yes, the nacelles rotate on pivots with actuators, and independently for cyclic control in the hover mode, but on a regular helicopter you need a tail rotor.

Bring back the Fairey Rotodyne!

• Round of applause 1