RMweb

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium

This one is interesting, it's in Sky Angkor livery but on lease to Myanmar Airways, hence the Myanmar logo on the tail.

Sky320-12.JPG.6e2f05d0055352b3b06a1e99774eb7c8.JPG

Sky320-11.JPG

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

Thanks for all the vintage aircraft IDs yesterday. I think we've done most of the twin-engined machines but there are some single-engine types remaining unidentified. Any ideas on these:

I think both of these are Avro 504K, possibly the same aircraft?

1920s landing mishap (13) 1920s RAF biplane (20)

Seen in the background of these two photos, a very distinctive 'nose' on this type. Perhaps an Airco DH9A?

1920s RAF aircrew (37) 1920s aircrew (9)

This one is more 'modern' in appearance, maybe 1930s rather than 1920s. Perhaps a Fairey IIIF?

1920s RAF biplane (15)

Something else, but we may not be able to see enough to identify it?

1920s RAF biplane and crew (22)

Cheers,

Mol

Edited by Mol_PMB
tentative IDs added
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)
On 12/05/2024 at 23:30, Mol_PMB said:

Perhaps an Airco DH9A?

That nose and the offset fuel tank are indeed very suggestive of the DH9A.

On 12/05/2024 at 23:30, Mol_PMB said:

Perhaps a Fairey IIIF?

Another well thought out suggestion. Check the empennage 'holes' for the elevator wires and the rectangular panel behind the roundel - a very close match to this.

image.png.aeb58cfadfddb151705f73e52051e3c7.pngimage.png.eacff75d1f53a603efef9090ead103b2.png

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 13/05/2024 at 11:59, KeithMacdonald said:

Nice to see that Harriers are still active and in service. If only we had invented and used such a great iconic aircraft - oh, wait ...

I understand the yanks are retiring theirs soon. F35 has super ceded it 

Posted (edited)
On 16/05/2024 at 13:12, KeithMacdonald said:

Are they still being used in Spain, Italy and India?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrier_jump_jet#Operators

Apparently, the Spanish Navy have extended the service life of their American designed and built AV8B Harrier ll’s beyond 2025, because of lack of funds to replace them.

They disposed of their earlier, British built Harrier mk1’s, about a quarter of a century ago

The Italian Navy  AV8B’s are in the process of being retired (if they haven’t already gone?).

They have been replaced by the F-35B

The Indian Navy operated the British built Sea Harrier.

They lost 2 thirds of them in accidents.

The remains of their surviving fleet of these aircraft, were retired 8 years ago.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

A few more vintage photos from the family archive, still Africa but this time around 1970 rather than 1930:

Piper Cherokee Six

Piper Cherokee Six

East African VC-10

East African VC-10

Ethiopian DC-3

Ethiopian DC-3

Lalibella Airport Terminal

Lalibella Airport

Addis Ababa from the air - but from what type of plane? It doesn't look like any of the three above.

Addis Ababa from the air

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

This is Scoot's newest type, the Embraer E190. They entered service a few weeks ago (with Scoot, the E-Jet is now a mature type) and mean RJs smaller than the 737 and A320 family now operate in/out of Changi.

ScootEJ-7.JPG

• Like 7

There’s a worldwide shortage of experienced pilots .

companieslike scoot need to up their offer , things like a minimum of 9 days off a month aren’t going to cut it - we all know minimum is the same as maximum in aviation speak.

I was offered a lot of money to go fly in China but having flown there twice there’s not enough money in Fort Knox to tempt me 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

4 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I was offered a lot of money to go fly in China but having flown there twice there’s not enough money in Fort Knox to tempt me 

Funnily enough, there's a lot less money (gold) in Fort Knox since countries (like China) have started a significant increase in repatriating their own sovereign country's property.

10 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Is this something sudden?

Been building for some time. For many years the skies were piloted by a lot of retired military pilots who saw service in the Cold War.  As airforces shrank so did the pool of retirees.

A 30 year-old pilot in 1990 would be 64 now.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

A member of my radio club had to retire as a pilot (for Delta, I think) due to his age. I do not remember if it were a Delta requirement or an FAA one. He could still, if he wanted to, fly as a corporate pilot as his license is valid as long as meets all of the requirements.

EDIT: His one "brag" was that he never hurt anyone. Forty years or so safety. A great record to retire with.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

I like the Shapps logic that not having enough planes to drop a few paratroopers in a commemoration is reason to spend £££££££££££s buying more transport aircraft. We have to prioritise what really matters for defence.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1