The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium

A nice aspect of Istanbul airport is that they operate simultaneous take off and landing on parallel runways, so if you are on the right side of the aircraft in a window seat you can watch other aircraft descending or climbing alongside, not too far away.

Turkish777-20.jpg

Turkish321-27.jpg

Turkish321-28.jpg

Turkish321-31.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Talking of Turkish Airlines, back in 1972/73 I worked for THY in London as a ticket agent and trade sales rep. There were only about 10 of us in the station, both central London and at LHR.  We had three flights a week operating Ankara/Istanbul/Paris/London.  Usually a DC-9 but occasionally a 707. One day I received a message from HQ that we would be getting a DC-10!  It turned out to be the first DC-10 to visit LHR.  Here it is, and yes, it is the one lost over Paris in March 1974.

THY have come a long way in 50 years!

20190129-00018-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpeg.8aa606574f01b9df6ac17bc51eeb678b.jpeg20190129-00023-Edit-Edit.jpeg.d210f857bb3a24ee602619ef95130625.jpeg

Edited by Martino
I can’t spell!
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Nowadays Turkish is a global powerhouse offering excellent service and a very comprehensive route network. Their A350s are superb and their food offering is well above average IMO. The new airport at Istanbul is also extremely impressive.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A Turkish 787, there was something in the news the other day about them deferring a potential big order with Boeing and leaning more towards Airbus. 

Turkish787-6.jpg

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 29/04/2024 at 09:32, jjb1970 said:

Nowadays Turkish is a global powerhouse offering excellent service and a very comprehensive route network. Their A350s are superb and their food offering is well above average IMO. The new airport at Istanbul is also extremely impressive.

Yes, very impressed with Turkish when we flew with them Istanbul-Madagascar a few years ago.

• Like 2

My first post in this topic as I confess that aircraft aren't my core interest.

Clearing out my parents' house yesterday I discovered a hoard of about 50 old photos featuring RAF aircraft and aircrew, I think mostly 1920s in Africa.

I'm going to scan and post them on Flickr in this album (just a few there so far):

1920s RAF Aircraft and Crew

A few more examples:

1920s aircraft (2)

1920s aircraft over the pyramids (4)

1920s aircraft and crew (3)

Can anyone help me caption them? Most have no writing on them at all.

Cheers,

Mol

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2

1 minute ago, Metr0Land said:

2nd is Avro 504K trainer and 4th is Handley Page 0/400.  I can't think what the plane is in 1 and 3

Super, many thanks! There's nearly 50 photos in the Flickr album now.

'The KDH archive' has been busy identifying the Vickers Victoria and Vickers Valentia which are the bulbous-nosed twin engine types. I think there's also a Vickers Vimy.

1 minute ago, PMP said:

1/3 are Vickers Vernon troop transports. 

Many thanks, that was my first conclusion but they may be the later variant Vickers Victoria. Certainly the engines look more like those on the Victoria.

I think there is a Vernon in the album as well though?

1920s aircraft and crew (1)

Many thanks for all the input so far!

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 2

I've scanned and uploaded most of the aircraft photos now; a few more to do but probably of less interest. The link to the full album is here:

1920s RAF Aircraft and Crew

Having spent 3 days single-handedly emptying junk from my parents house and filling a large skip, it was nice to find something interesting and save/share it!

Cheers,

Mol

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

6 minutes ago, ColinK said:

Interesting pics, thanks for sharing.

But what are those three points sticking out of the clouds?

WHat I haven't yet worked out is where this is:

1920s aerial view - but where? (32)

Edited by Mol_PMB
Railway interest bottom left!
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

50 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

Many thanks, that was my first conclusion but they may be the later variant Vickers Victoria. Certainly the engines look more like those on the Victoria.

I think there is a Vernon in the album as well though?

1920s aircraft and crew (1)

Many thanks for all the input so far!

The squadron badge on the front of the Victoria is 216 Squadron.

Charlie

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Some heavy arrivals over the weekend. The Asiana 747-400F is a passenger to freighter conversion, with the stretched upper deck (newbuild freighters retained the original short upper deck even for -400 and -8 series). The Lufthansa 747-8I is quite a rare bird, not rare in terms of being able to see them but in terms of numbers. Only a relative handful of -8I's were built for Lufthansa, Air China and Korean Air plus some governmental examples. Air China provide the Chinese equivalent of air force one using their 747-8I. On Asiana, they're being bought by Korean Air, it'll be a shame when they are taken over as I find them an excellent airline. Their food offering is excellent, unashamedly Korean and all the better for it. 

Asiana744F-16.JPG

Asiana744F-20.JPG

Lufthansa748-19.JPG

Lufthansa748-22.JPG

SQ380-126.JPG

SQ380-128.JPG

BA380-60.JPG

Qantas380-23.JPG

• Like 5