The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Be hard to shoot down as it’s very small ;)

As with many things, what is said in jest is a very good point. One of the things highlighted over the last couple of years is the value of cheap throwaway drones which can be used in large numbers and are very difficult to shoot down. Using guided missiles costing $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$'s to shoot down something closer to AliExpress than Northrop Grumman very quickly becomes insanely expensive and even then if you send lots of the little pests it's easy to overwhelm even a high end air defence system. Perhaps we took a wrong turn focusing on very expensive high altitude, high endurance drones.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Those Iranian drones used by the houti tuttis can’t be very high tech but seem effective en masse. And the missiles we use on them cost £1 million a time it said , we are being economically waged war upon !

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

How to uglify a nice looking aircraft, I'm sure these things are extremely impressive technically but they are not especially nice looking.

G550-9.JPG

G550-10.JPG

G550-12.JPG

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

How to uglify a nice looking aircraft, I'm sure these things are extremely impressive technically but they are not especially nice looking.

G550-9.JPG

G550-10.JPG

G550-12.JPG

What is the aircraft type? (Modified and unmodified.)

Kev.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, SHMD said:

What is the aircraft type? (Modified and unmodified.)

Kev.

The base airframe is a Gulfstream 550 business jet, converted into an airborne radar platform by IAI/Elta in Israel. These are the AEW/AWACS of the Singapore Air Force. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

It must have been rush hour at Paya Lebar air force base as in the space of about ten minutes two C130's and two A330MRTT's as well as the G550 flew over Marina Bay on approach to the base. If you time it right you can see loads of air force movements over Marine Bay (centre of Singapore where the famous three tower hotel is). There's a lot of F15 movements too.

RSAF330-80.JPG

RSAF330-81.JPG

RSAFC130-53.jpg

RSAFC130-55.JPG

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
On 04/04/2024 at 05:50, jjb1970 said:

...snip... over Marine Bay (centre of Singapore where the famous three tower hotel is).

Famous? I never even heard of it until you mentioned it. 🐱

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

One Air's other 747, G-ONEE returning to the UK today after five weeks of maintenance in Victorville. Seen on finals for EMA from the car park of the South Notts show in Cotgrave. And it's fin is still red...

PXL_20240406_1209411122.jpg.23ff98a85965215439914adebe12f98d.jpg

PXL_20240406_121009807.jpg.317b53ff368369899fd4dbe7d40c274b.jpg

Screenshot_20240406-1340482.png.30ba25ba6a772bc467b98d024ce8dd47.png

• Like 6

11 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Wow! Looks like a Bond film setting?

The infinity pool on the roof garden is something else.

We had lunch at one of the restaurants up there, a couple of years ago.

We watched the F15’s passing by at eye level on their way back in.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

The infinity pool on the roof garden is something else.

We had lunch at one of the restaurants up there, a couple of years ago.

I was up there a couple of years after it opened, as the guest of a friend who was staying there.

We watched the approach of one of Singapore's regular thunderstorms until it arrived and discharged a huge lightning bolt right on to the MBS (Marina Bay Sands) lightning rod (which, of course, is what it's there for). The noise was deafening, so we decided the best course of action was to retreat inside to the bar...

What time is it? Tiger Time!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

A Turkish Airlines plane on a 'go around' in the strong winds as we departed Gatwick on a Littlehampton train diverted via the Arun valley due to a landslip near Hassocks yesterday.

20240406_092303.jpg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

This is a lousy image even by my standards, digital zoom on my mobile with lighting all wrong, but on a nice day this would be a terrific photo opportunity from the top of the hotel. Today on my lunch time walk out of the office.

RSAFF15-35.jpg

• Like 9

Not many places I can have a Singapore sling and watch fighters over a city centre !

Sadly it’s not on current route structure I don’t think 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Over Easter we visited the Cosford Air museum for the first time, something that I have been wanting to do for a while since getting back into building aircraft kits now that I have a little bit more space to put them.  Its just over a 15 minute walk from the railway station but luckily we missed the heavy rain whilst walking to and from the museum.

This is the only place in the world to have all three V wing bombers and they are kept inside the Cold war museum building. It wasnt easy to get a good shot of the Valiant though but there is also a model of one.

Well worth the visit and as its free entry we did leave a donation. Does get busy but was quiet for the first half hour at opening time.

CosfordAirMuseum2024 (28).jpg

CosfordAirMuseum2024 (45).jpg

CosfordAirMuseum2024 (48).jpg

CosfordAirMuseum2024 (47).jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

A few exhibits are kept outside including one of my favourite planes, the PBY catalina which i am just completeing my third kit of one of these, the first two long gone.

There were quite a few aircraft way off in the distance in the operational part of the RAF base but does anyone know what is stationed there?

CosfordAirMuseum2024 (4).jpg

CosfordAirMuseum2024 (5).jpg

CosfordAirMuseum2024 (51).jpg

CosfordAirMuseum2024 (52).jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

the PBY catalina

What is that PBY livery?

After contact was lost with Bismarck it was a PBY of RAF Coastal Command (purchased before lend-lease) with an USN (ret)* attaché / instructing copilot at the controls which located Bismarck.

* The US was not at war (May '41) so the training flying officers provided with the aircraft temporarily "retired" their commissions, but were flying combat missions.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Cosford is mainly technical training these days. The only flying unit that is based there is the University of Birmingham Air Squadron (flying 6 Grob Tutors according to their website). This doesn’t mean that it isn’t temporarily used for other purposes and aircraft though.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

You won’t find much flying in there .

the runway is only about 1400m which precludes routine ops of all the heavy or pointy stuff .

theyve got a load of jaguars there they run for technical training . I wonder if these were flown in somehow ? Like slam it down and brake like stink / drag chute etc 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

What is that PBY livery?

After contact was lost with Bismarck it was a PBY of RAF Coastal Command (purchased before lend-lease) with an USN (ret)* attaché / instructing copilot at the controls which located Bismarck.

* The US was not at war (May '41) so the training flying officers provided with the aircraft temporarily "retired" their commissions, but were flying combat missions.

I cant recall. I did intend to take a photo of the info board but forgot.

• Like 3