• RMweb Gold

It depends on whether the prototype HST is numbered 252001 or in the 41xxx series for power cars

It looks like it is 252001 leading on this photo which was taken north of Preston whilst the first one was taken south of Preston at Farington Junction.

post-7024-0-41866400-1471298349_thumb.jpg

Does this make a valid snap for the DMU thread? If not, I'm happy to delete it.

Anyway, it isn't north of Preston, It is south of the station. I really need to take more water with it!

Edited by 96701
  • Like 11

Now, here's a thing Kevin.

I am thinking that one of our dates must be wrong, because I have a photo of W55033 on a Severn Beach service at Temple Meads dated 4/2/81 (the day before yours) and as you can see it has been re-painted in blue/grey livery.

Hi Jonny,

you are correct, I have a filing error in my notes.

The shot of W55033 at Severn Beach was taken 11/2/80, and some time between then and 18/6/80 the collision at Severn Beach occurred.

I have amended my earlier post and added a shot of 55033 when stopped at Marsh Junction

cheers

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thats a superb photo. With those numbers that's two D(E)MU vehicles in a train that has loco hauled stock plus an EMU vehicle.

I take it this was in top and tail mode as I doubt the train was through wired for multiple unit operation of the two power cars

• RMweb Premium

Thats a superb photo. With those numbers that's two D(E)MU vehicles in a train that has loco hauled stock plus an EMU vehicle.

I take it this was in top and tail mode as I doubt the train was through wired for multiple unit operation of the two power cars

But it's an RTC train with the red/blue coaches being Lab/test cars - these were usually fitted with all sorts of jumper cables to allow the vehicles to work together as required. Failing all else, control cables could be 'hardwired' through the train.

I presume the power cars would work together (as normal) to power the train between Derby and the test site - then during the test too even if the APT p/c was working.

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't put Derby Research past connecting the two HSDT power cars together, otherwise I think they would struggle to get the APT power car up to the required speed for testing, assuming they were trying to test the running gear of the APT power car.

Whoops. Cross posted with Keefer...........

Edited by 96701

• RMweb Gold

It may have had MU most pictures you see of APT power cars being tested with HSTs have only one power car so I've possibly wrongly assumed that the wiring from the APT was connected to the HST for running the APT. As I don't know what this consisted of it may be that both HST cars could power up together

It may have had MU most pictures you see of APT power cars being tested with HSTs have only one power car so I've possibly wrongly assumed that the wiring from the APT was connected to the HST for running the APT. As I don't know what this consisted of it may be that both HST cars could power up together

Only one power car here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pics-by-john/7086881001/

Surely the key is in the name 'multiple unit' i.e. the ability to work in normal service in multiple with another similar, in control circuit terms, vehicle or vehicles.

The prototype HST couldn't, because there was no other like it.

The protoype APT couldn't; ditto.

Production HST can't because no provision is made other than for rescue purposes.

Pendolino trains can't; ditto.

Having lit blue touch paper.......

At Morganstown north of Radyr.

post-7081-0-79692400-1471371259_thumb.jpg

Class 116 set C307 passes under the M4 on a service from Cardiff heading up the valleys,

(this photo was taken from a public foot crossing) 11/8/82 (edit for date)

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 8

Surely the key is in the name 'multiple unit' i.e. the ability to work in normal service in multiple with another similar, in control circuit terms, vehicle or vehicles.

Production HST can't because no provision is made other than for rescue purposes.

HST could be coupled in multi, but the jumper sockets were removed late 80s. It wasn't unknown for two pairs of power cars to go on test from Derby in multi.

HST could be coupled in multi, but the jumper sockets were removed late 80s. It wasn't unknown for two pairs of power cars to go on test from Derby in multi.

Agreed, but......

See the first line of my post where I mention '.....in normal service......' :)

The half-hourly Chester to Helsby via Hooton service was introduced when the line from Hooton to Rock Ferry was electrified.

On one day in 1993 (sorry, I can't be more specific) I photographed the 3 units used on the service; 2 were class 101s and the third was a class 156.

The class 101s are shown leaving the bay line at Hooton and the 156 (included for completeness) is shown crossing over to enter the bay.

post-6748-0-89989300-1471380209_thumb.jpg

post-6748-0-43662300-1471380480_thumb.jpg

post-6748-0-95446500-1471380642_thumb.jpg

Edited by flyingsignalman
  • Like 11

At Morganstown north of Radyr.

attachicon.gifscan0017.jpg

Class 116 set C307 passes under the M4 on a service from Cardiff heading up the valleys,

(this photo was taken from a public foot crossing) 11/8/82 (edit for date)

cheers

Warning - "....know all mode activated....."

Gelynis Farm

"......know all mode de-activated....."

Gold Star Kev, for visiting a site unknown to many local enthusiasts.

Brian R

• Like 1

Three more.....

(of which, I think, a couple have already appeared somewhere on this forum)

post-6748-0-11059500-1471381495.jpg

Manchester Victoria, taken Ca October 1976 from the 2nd floor of the offices, outside the signalling school.

post-6748-0-07170800-1471381531_thumb.jpg

On the Down Fast between the former Mold Jcn Nr4 and Sandycroft, 1979.

post-6748-0-86281800-1471381562.jpg

Changing tokens at Portmadoc with a down passenger, 13/7/1978.

Edited by flyingsignalman
  • Like 13