Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

My kind of shop.  Could spend hours rummaging around in there.

Four Candles, (Fork Handles), anyone!

Paul

Yeah! Mine too. There's a few like that scattered about in various towns up and down the Oregon coast. Stuff on pegboard hooks that look like it's been hanging there for decades.

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-the-old-cooperativ-queensbury-bradford-yorkshire-united-kingdom-now-35210437.html?imageid=DBCB2A62-06D1-4CF7-BC33-C0F6B0489562&p=71787&pn=1&searchId=341a8deac1030b41d9928263ab7a4356&searchtype=0

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

With an hour here and an hour there a pretty good start was made on The Handyman building.

The more I explore Queensbury on Google earth, the more I get intrigued with the place. It seems to be a sort of complete mini, West Riding City. It's full of little ginnels and snickets between all the short terraces of 2-up-2-down cottages with all the usual businesses and public houses all about.  There are small residences for sale there under 100K!

What appeals to me is the randomness of the structures, like the hardware shop. It's what appears to be a converted end of terrace.

There's an attached short terrace of 4 leading off down the left side of it and a single small house adjoining at the back in the snicket at right. At first glance the structure looks square but a quick look on Google Earth shows that's far from the case and all the bricked up windows to the two original houses can be seen. 

So then, on to the model. There might not be space to model the terrace of 4 but at least one can be squeezed in. If there is room for more terrace it won't be a problem to knock some up later on. 

I began with a quick sketch-up and a rummage through various boxes of windows etc. Then marked these sizes onto some Plastruct O scale rough brick sheet. This was then all cut out with a Stanley knife. and stuck down onto 5mm foamboard.

handymans2.jpg.22b59e827a9b955f227b91a6e0caf85b.jpg

When dry the brickwork was filed down with a rough file which helps give a nice look to the finished stonework.

The bricked up windows had regular tidy O scale brick stuck in the relevant places and the window openings then removed with a fine tipped xacto. 

handymans3.jpg.682eb730ccebe656c00c29ed95eaa01f.jpg

Sills and lintels are styrene strip and then for good measure all the foam openings received some soft fast set wood filler.

each opening was then filed out and the various windows and doors were fitted by trial & error. 

handymans4.jpg.5709205ede3675fd6d067005eb9f9b01.jpg

Cheapo "Dollar Store" foamboard was employed to hash up a back end structure which was simply stuck together using my favorite glue. 

handymans1.jpg.75dd0f75087fa9e9b0a5415f94d3b962.jpg

Squatch.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, aardvark said:

That'd take me a month to make that much progress.

It's only practice. I spend more time deciding what to build hand how to build it! Seriously I must have spent more time researching that building, checking every last detail and deciding how far to go with it, which way is best to construct it, what materials are best used (although I've pretty much settled on a standard method now). Quite a bit of time was spent digging out various boxes of bits and trying to locate all the necessaries. That's a job I need to do. Consolidate. All the windows in one box, doors in another etc. etc.   

Once all the bits are together a start can be made. It kind of goes smoothly with a bit of background music and the wife at work!!!

Regards Shaun.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Had about an hour out in the garage actually working on the layout this evening and of course ran a few trains.

We had to run to catch the Bradford service from Keighley, so didn't have time to get any pictures of our unusual engine.

As our train rounded the curve into Queensbury I pulled the window down and leaned out!

Roundingthecurves.jpg.a30af01f674a22033b6014a5c46167f2.jpg

Quite how Fairburn 42105 ended up standing in for a failed N1 is a bit of a mystery..

Here we see the LMR's 4MT as it crosses Brow lane bridge.

421050nBrowLaneoverbridge..jpg.30b9091ee0fbbbcc5e2d4b502c806aee.jpg

It was a rather muggy overcast afternoon when I took a picture of the station booking hall.

Queensburystationbuilding.jpg.8b73fcfe9368cc3b1c08fade744d4a5a.jpg

After a nose around the village we came across 42105 on the same route with the evening service. We had to run like hell to catch that too!

4MT42105.jpg.0980a07a764b474d2cdf3f4fdf1cf13d.jpg

Squatch

• Like 18
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

My, you have been busy. it'll be another month before I can do anything.

manna

Late spring is always a very busy time without any chance of modeling!

It's taken me ages to get into a rhythm. Mornings it's paperwork and chores. Afternoons woodwork, it's like Santas workshop this week making wooden reindeer and board games etc. Evenings, modeling! 

If it's gonna be a late one where I need to call Helgium again, then yes, I get a lot done!

There may even be another progress report later!!

Regards Shaun  

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Acrylic and windows with glazing!

paintnwidows.jpg.a0905e95232f543468460b4aac1f698d.jpg

paintnwidows3.jpg.55449856b155f174779772169ddf3417.jpg

paintnwidows2.jpg.edc960088b733d6b413a7976ad32c959.jpg

Squatch 

Shaun,

Looking great as usual.

It is interesting that you have used 7mm brick for dressed stone.  I have a number of houses tio build, eventually, all in small blocks of three or four, plus an inn and another chapel.  This looks like a material that I might try.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Shaun,

Looking great as usual.

It is interesting that you have used 7mm brick for dressed stone.  I have a number of houses tio build, eventually, all in small blocks of three or four, plus an inn and another chapel.  This looks like a material that I might try.

Hi Chris. Jason used the same on all those Bacup streets! There are various O scale brick sheets available, I like the Plastruct rough brick.

When given a going over with a rough file it makes quite convincing looking stonework. Stonework varies a lot and as you know sometimes to get a convincing look I have to resort to scribing! Like on the station booking hall pictured above. 

The tricky bit is getting the mortar to look right.

Regards Shaun

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Jason T said:

Hi Shaun,

I did indeed use SE Finecast 7mm brick on a couple of the buildings on Bacup, also did so with the loading shed on The Mill.

For my new project, I've had to hand scribe plastikard as the stonework is rather distinctive and there were no products available that were anything like it. It's taking months....

Loading Shed

LoadingShed.jpg.1439399e86980e0fd740c47045bb199a.jpg

Buildings for Sandside

Station.jpg.7e1eb6d00ffc85028352f0036838c69a.jpg

GoodsShed.jpg.400da0d44e56d41bba996e42a50c90a7.jpg

Beautiful work Jason. Scribing that lot into plastic card takes a train load of patience. Just doing it with a pen into foamboard does me in!

Regards Shaun.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry for my absence, not only have I been a bit sick with a cough etc. but the laptop has been removed from the house after I noticed it had swollen. This is the battery so basically it’s been like having a time bomb sitting on the dining table for goodness knows how long. 
So it’s back to squinting at the I phone until I can afford a new computer 

Hope that you are all well

Shaun

• Friendly/supportive 11

1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

Sorry for my absence, not only have I been a bit sick with a cough etc. but the laptop has been removed from the house after I noticed it had swollen. This is the battery so basically it’s been like having a time bomb sitting on the dining table for goodness knows how long. 
So it’s back to squinting at the I phone until I can afford a new computer 

Hope that you are all well

Shaun

Never mind the new computer, stick to our generation solutions.....

https://www.theloupestore.co.uk/Headband-Loupes/Headband-Magnifier-Kit---LED.html 

😎

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/12/2023 at 14:22, jcredfer said:

Never mind the new computer, stick to our generation solutions.....

https://www.theloupestore.co.uk/Headband-Loupes/Headband-Magnifier-Kit---LED.html 

😎

Hi Julian 

Does this gadget shrink my worn out finger tips and allow me to think for myself also?🤣

We watched that new Indiana Jones “Dial of Destiny” last night. Really good family stuff but what I want to know is how did the Nazi’s get a hold of that 9F. 🙄

Regards Shaun

• Like 3

Hi Julian 

Does this gadget shrink my worn out finger tips and allow me to think for myself also?🤣

We watched that new Indiana Jones “Dial of Destiny” last night. Really good family stuff but what I want to know is how did the Nazi’s get a hold of that 9F. 🙄

Regards Shaun

Ok...  new computer sounds good.

I've not seen the film, where was that 9F filmed?  It looks quite UK ish - which might have contributed to the 9F??

• Like 1

Hi Julian 

Regards Shaun

Clearly history got messed up with the whole time travel thing.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1