Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

Hi

Thank you very much, that and getting the elevation and declination on the goods shed / lime pits is my biggest head ache at the moment and the same will apply to the other side i suppose.

This is a big help, and I will use a double slip too, to do otherwise is a waste, as are the catch points to my mind. If I want that much detail, I would go and construct the track in P4, one day maybe but for me peco is good enough. I want to keep it as a hobby and not get so serious it feels like a job.

If I get to the stage where AV could even sit in the same room as your layout without embarrassment, I would think I had exceed my wildest dreams.

Much appreciated

Regards

Kal

• RMweb Premium

If you are going to include the gradient through the station it will need some serious calculating. This is due to the Skaledale coal drops and lime pens being of the correct height! Any compromise on platform length or change in gradient will affect the road surface around the goods area!

Also what goes up must come down.  That's why there is a curve and gradient on my viaduct. Pure luck the way it turned out. Watching the trains on it is the best feature of the whole layout.

The three tracks on my girder bridge are the summit. The goods siding slopes very gently towards the goods shed.   The camping coach sidings remain level. The coal cell siding is rather steep and the main line drops at 1in 50 (I think) with a cant and that lovely gentle curve.

To help with all this I made a 1/1 scale drawing in OO on a sheet of chip board. From what I see on your Arboretum Valley thread it appears too late for open frame boards?

Hope this helps.  

• RMweb Premium

Go back to pages 1,2 &3 where it shows ( not too clearly) how I did it. In hind sight making adjuster blocks between the ribs and track surface would have helped and allowing for the thickness of the cork underlay would have made the platforms higher, my biggest blunder!! 

• RMweb Premium

At the annual Rogue Valley Model Railroad show this weekend I had the pleasure of meeting Dale Edwards founder of Kadee couplers. He is now well into his 90s and maintains all his faculties. It was a shame that he didn't get to see the layout as I remember last year he did like Dunster.

Whilst on the prowl for deals on track I was offered a box of second hand rails for $15 which on inspection at home was found to contain no less than 22 Shinohara live frog turnouts. What a smoking hot deal!   

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

We have been spending the end of this week dealing with temperatures of -15 and 6” of snow. However I have found time to squeeze my other layout Dunster (link at bottom) into one of our attic rooms. I say squeeze because the room is 16’ wide at baseboard height. Dunster is 16’ in its original form but needs an inch or two to enable it to go together. After giving it a tart up and doing a few repairs I will get out the photography equipment and try to do it some justice. When I am done playing with that new Heljan class 16 that is, which could be some time!

post-8964-0-21712300-1386446187_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Lovely stuff Buddy, Great deal on the points, are you taking them back? ha ha ha.

Bodgit :sungum:

They aren't new having been pulled off of a layout and were a bit grubby and tarnished, so I spent an evening with the hot lemon, honey and whiskey on the go and set about getting then up to standard. With my dear stalker cap on I have deduced that the layout was scrapped due to the fish plates having been soldered on. This would not allow expansion in hot weather causing the rails to buckle!! I like the fact that these points have nickel silver check rails and are all live frog except for the double slip. I cut all the fish plates off with Xuron cutters and trimmed away all the unwanted gubbins with my mate Stanley! Electrical conections were scrubbed with a burnishing pencil and the rails with a Peco track rubber.

The two at bottom haven't received the treatment yet.   Not bad for 44 pence each!

post-8964-0-36579900-1386464101_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Another cool layout.

Be keen to see the 16

Thanks Kal , I took my time building Dunster and it has some great features which make it a joy to operate, like lit lamps in the working signals and my home spun uncoupling system. All the buildings were made from Wills Craftsman and Hornby kits. All these features need installing on Goathland huh.

The class 16 is a funky looking engine more American in appearance if anything although it runs like a dream with bright lamps its a bit slow not being any faster than Bachmanns 08 Gronks. Will google them to see whether or not this is prototypical. The models best feature is that the slowness allows for the lamps to stay lit while loco is stationary. One thing for sure is that Heljan did a better job than the North British Locomotive Company! Edited by Sasquatch

Thanks Kal , I took my time building Dunster and it has some great features which make it a joy to operate, like lit lamps in the working signals and my home spun uncoupling system. All the buildings were made from Wills Craftsman and Hornby kits.  All these features need installing on Goathland huh.

The class 16 is a funky looking engine more American in appearance if anything although it runs like a dream with bright lamps its a bit slow not being any faster than Bachmanns 08 Gronks. Will google them to see whether or not this is prototypical. One thing for sure is that Heljan did a better job than the North British Locomotive Company!

I like them too, but funds are bound elsewhere just now. The were a nightmare apparently - kept catching fire! BTW, average speeds are much slower than we sometimes think - 25mph for an unfitted goods train was quick! I prefer lower geared locos with greater haulage capacity.

Let me know what you think of my layout video when your connections back up to speed.

Tony.

• RMweb Premium

Nice join, very difficult see, when connected.

Love to see how it all hangs together, thank you for sharing

Are you talking about the baseboards or the join between my palm and fingers?

• RMweb Premium

I like them too, but funds are bound elsewhere just now. The were a nightmare apparently - kept catching fire! BTW, average speeds are much slower than we sometimes think - 25mph for an unfitted goods train was quick! I prefer lower geared locos with greater haulage capacity.

Let me know what you think of my layout video when your connections back up to speed.

Tony.

It hasn't caught fire yet Tony, not to say it wont if I just add one more van to its rake and run it round a couple O hundred times more.

More on my Dunster thread

post-8964-0-01086800-1386666176_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Off topic.
This recent cold spell has put a downer on things. Temperatures have gotten down to -17C pipes have frozen up, cars wont start and the log pile has taken a real pilfering. There's a good 6 inches of powdery snow which is pretty though!
post-8964-0-26224100-1386709227_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 3

Off topic.

This recent cold spell has put a downer on things. Temperatures have gotten down to -17C pipes have frozen up, cars wont start and the log pile has taken a real pilfering. There's a good 6 inches of powdery snow which is pretty though!

attachicon.gifBrrrrr.JPG

- Logs down? - time to get your lass out 'wi the chainsaw.

T.

• RMweb Premium

Brrr and they say Canada is the the frozen North :) we have a light dusting and only about -6C here today.

It is unusual.

- Logs down? - time to get your lass out 'wi the chainsaw.

T.

Axe more like!

Off topic.

attachicon.gifBrrrrr.JPG

Much to cold for me, I'm more of a Mediterranean person myself, I like it hot.

Bodgit the No Man :stinker:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The scenic boards are 31" wide. Layout measures 20'x7' but there's only 18feet of scenic (as it's not finished).
The fiddle yard is 16"wide, not enough and track level is 42" from the floor.
From the beck behind the station to the tippy top of that abbey measures 24 1/2" a scale 153feet! We have trees taller than that which kind of puts things into perspective!
Thanks for all the likes BTW

Regards Shaun.

Edited by Sasquatch