Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

Posted in the prototype questions forum::

Two questions.

Has anyone got pictures of the wooden station buildings?

There where two basic types from what I can tell from looking on the internet. Which I believe to be 50 & 70 feet in length. Each side of the triangle had a small and a long building. The Keighley-Bradford and Keighley-Halifax sides had the longer buildings on the inside of the triangle and both large and small buildings appear identical.

The Bradford- Halifax side however had the longer building on the outside and from what I can tell the two buildings there were a mirror image of the others.

Can anyone confirm this?

My next Question is the colour. I'm presuming that Queensbury received a coat of paint after the second world war along with all other LNER stations. This should have been Green and cream. Cream paneling above waist height and green below was normal. Would the window frames have been green also. They don't appear to be white in any of the pictures.

The station closed to passengers in 1955 and I doubt BR ever sent the painters in, so confirmation again please?

One thing for sure is grime seems to dominate.

Same for the signal box (only the East box remained after the war) which looks like brown to me in black and white pics but it's green, right?

Edit: One last thing. When did the awnings get taken down?

Any information would be ggggggrrrrreat!!

Regards Shaun.

Hi Shaun,

I've PM'd you some pics which may help although only one shows the Bradford-Halifax platforms. Can't help with the colour, though your educated guesses tie in with my own research. I have pics showing the awnings from 1905 and sometime in the 1920s, otherwise they'd been removed in all post war pics.

The Green and Cream would have taken place some time after Grouping (1924? - I'm hopeless on dates)After the war would come the *mid-blue and cream/white if the region was North Eastern. I don't know your area at all I'm afraid but a search for post-grouping areas shouldn't be hard. Where it gets complex is if it is station where regions meet and share...

*It was almost mid-fifties when my local station - Monkseaton - was painted - and I hated it!

Thanks for your response on my layout vid - I really wanted you to see it so you would know where I'm coming from. Jaz posting it in a YouTube window was very kind and supportive.

Tony.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jason tells me it was a joint line! Every detail looks Great Northern to me though, so built by them at least. 

Here are some links if anyone is interested.
http://www.queensburyrailway.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/2h.html
http://www.queensburyrailway.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/2i.html
http://www.queensburyrailway.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/2k.html
Am not too excited at the thought of making all those window glazing bars on the platform buildings.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The motive power will include N1 in lined black with lion on wheel. N1 in plain black. Grubby J39s, B1s, J50, O4s, WD8f and more!

Stock : Thompson suburbans, Gresley Twin sets Composite/5comp brake 3rd and some ex GNR NPCS and quintuplet set. 

Not to mention Every kind of mixed goods and diversion trains.

Knowing me there'll be plenty of modelers license when it come to DMUs and BR standard classes! 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Passenger services stopped in 1955 but trains were still using single track working through there right up until 1964 when the rails got lifted!

Of course the pacifics will get run I'll even get my old Lima flying banana out  and run that. (Check the last link in post 429)!! :smoke:

Edit: Ooo, oo, I have a castle!  Given to me by Joe from Micro Trains It's red though, with a Hogwarts crest on it. :nono:  

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1

Passenger services stopped in 1955 but trains were still using single track working through there right up until 1964 when the rails got lifted!

Of course the pacifics will get run I'll even get my old Lima flying banana out  and run that. (Check the last link in post 429)!! :smoke:

Edit: Ooo, oo, I have a castle!  Given to me by Joe from Micro Trains It's red though, with a Hogwarts crest on it. :nono:

Don't tell a soul but I've a Hornby Great Western Castle. It looks so elegant pulling a train of Pullmans with an observation car.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Got to compress things Jason, not stretch it! Ha ha!!

An Ivatt class 4 with short stanier rake would look just the ticket snaking through Queensbury don't you think?

I'm wondering how to mix up this LNER green as used on stations.

Not worried about the shade of cream as the grime will do wonders.

Next concern is the foot bridge's. I wont be able to model the ornate work on the stairways. Unless someone comes forward with some old D&S etched kit that's been long forgotten about, I think I'll just have to settle with Ratio kits without the roofs.   

• Like 1

The section between Halifax North Bridge and Holmfield and the High Level Lines from Holmfield to Halifax St Pauls were joint GNR/L&YR and generally run by the GN. Plenty of evidence for ex-L&YR stuff on these sections though.

Regards unusual motive power for the line it was used for DMU driver training 55-56 ish. The only pacific that is known (well as far as I know anyway) to have ever traversed the lines was A3 60081 Shotover when it was used for scientific tests (along with a couple of then brand new class 20s) in the Lees Moor tunnel in 1958. Speed was limited to 25mph for the duration.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Still waiting for the Hornby N2 chassis I purchased on eBay two weeks ago. Will be onto Shapeways as soon as it arrives.

I think 69467 in lined black will look good. Was that a super heated boiler example?

• RMweb Premium

A couple of hours this morning was spent building the staircase. This was achieved by placing 40x100thou micro strip in the modeling miter box which was clamped to the corner of the table. The fine rule was clamped into the miter box also to allow accurate spacing. Small saw cuts were made at 45° and 5mm apart. One left hand and one right.
The treads were cut from a strip of suitable plastic siding, one rip of 10mm across the grooves then chopped with the Stanley knife.
Assembly involved cementing the top and bottom treads in place and allowing to set before adding the other 15 which sat nicely in the saw cuts.

This evening I have filled the gaps, filed the corner courses, built up the veranda end and walkway.
The guard rail uses staples cut to an L shape and attached under the foot boards with cyano. The rail is attached with 5 second cyano firstly on the ends and then by adding a tiny amount to the other staples.
The rest of it is just Evergreen styrene strip.
Hopefully some more tomorrow.

post-8964-0-21519800-1391846380.jpgpost-8964-0-82588500-1391846414_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Shaun

That looks like a great location to model and something of a challenge. I can never decide on whether it is better to have a reference that has loads of information where you can measure it all up, or sparse information where people cannot pick us up on our compromises :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't think it matters too much Kal as long as I'm happy with it!

What makes me happy is watching the trains leaning into the cant on curved viaducts or seeing one pull away from a platform and head down grade on a curve into the gloom of a tunnel and the signal return to danger. When you're watching that kind of thing you never gonna notice that the steps on the signal cabin have 11 inch risers! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

You are right there Kal mate. I could have just settled for the Heljan Signal Box kit.

Am sitting here studying pictures of Keighley and think I might just end up modeling half the town! There's one spot which Jason has pointed out which has a derelict mill on the canal with the railway behind and populated hill side beyond with nice stone architecture and an inviting Pub. Just crying out to be modeled.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy.

Been working on those gradients too. There won't be any straight track and most of it will be on the gradients even the storage loops! Is that even possible.

I'm coming close to a final plan and should get out a board and make a 1/12th plan. 

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Am looking into having a back and forth tram diving about in the mill town.

Anyway here is how I made the chimney pot. A piece of hollow plastic tube turned in the cordless with emery stick and chisel scalpel.

post-8964-0-42988100-1391904269.jpg

Sample stone work using Humbrol 84 which has been hiding in the paint drawer for a decade.  

post-8964-0-61467900-1391904296_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Not been a fan of enamel paint for quite some time. It’s OK when spraying stock with the appropriate mask but for sitting in doors with the windows shut, having had double pneumonia which lasted 4 months I find the fumes too much. This evening I went to great lengths to mix up some crafters acrylic to match the humbrol.
Chimney has been detailed and received the acrylic stone base coat.
For the life of me I can only find one valence from the Knightwing kit so am building the other from plastic strip. Very tedious job!!

post-8964-0-73237100-1391918577.png

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1