Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

The scenic boards are 31" wide. Layout measures 20'x7' but there's only 18feet of scenic (as it's not finished).

The fiddle yard is 16"wide, not enough and track level is 42" from the floor.

From the beck behind the station to the tippy top of that abbey measures 24 1/2" a scale 153feet! We have trees taller than that which kind of puts things into perspective!

Thanks for all the likes BTW

Regards Shaun.

Thanks Shaun, that's no baby that's for sure, and 42 inches is a nice height, my Exhibition layouts are on 40 inch legs, plus about 3 inches for the layout frame so my track is normally about 43 inches or so.

Bodge :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My spare attic room is 16 x 14 at 42 inches and I might have to hack 2 inches of off Dunsters legs if I'm to go ahead with this Minehead idea. That will involve building a new fiddle yard for the Goathland/ Grim Up North garage project. Well I guess those points will come in handy huh!

• Like 1

My spare attic room is 16 x 14 at 42 inches and I might have to hack 2 inches of off Dunsters legs if I'm to go ahead with this Minehead idea. That will involve building a new fiddle yard for the Goathland/ Grim Up North garage project. Well I guess those points will come in handy huh!

Curious... If Goatland and GUN are linked(?) are you keeping the NE paint for Goatland and all locos pre-grouping? I very nearly purchased the Goatland set some time ago - for a supposed branch - but was going to repaint the woodwork accordingly. In retrospect I rather wish I had, as time-wise my main-line is going nowhere - literally!

Afterword regarding Goatland foot-bridge: They were almost common on the Coastal Electric Loop on Tyneside, when I was a bairn. Funny how things you take for granted become iconic at a later date.

Tony.

• RMweb Premium

Tony.
The model will hopefully depict the west riding from any time between 1939 and 1965. So no colour light signals,  lots of factories and mills but no modern office blocks. A disused canal and more than one railway company. L&Y, NE and GN. And if I can squeeze it in somewhere a goods only terminus maybe a fictitious CLC line.
Some of the buildings need to be removable to allow access to lighting and some tracks. This gives opportunity to switch them out!

One place I have stuck in my mind is Greetland to Hollywell Green. Most of the infrastructure is still in place and the line can be clearly seen on google earth.

Instead of trying to recreate an actual line or place I will take bits of the north and meld them together to hopefully create a believable fictitious place.

The layout wont have a name as such but will be called something like   "It were grim up north during t' war"     The sort of place you drive through on a rainy day when lost that you can never find again 10 years later but sticks in your mind because the atmosphere of the place is unrivaled!!  

• Like 3

Tony.

The model will hopefully depict the west riding from any time between 1939 and 1965. So no colour light signals,  lots of factories and mills but no modern office blocks. A disused canal and more than one railway company. L&Y, NE and GN. And if I can squeeze it in somewhere a goods only terminus maybe a fictitious CLC line.

Some of the buildings need to be removable to allow access to lighting and some tracks. This gives opportunity to switch them out!

One place I have stuck in my mind is Greetland to Hollywell Green. Most of the infrastructure is still in place and the line can be clearly seen on google earth.

Instead of trying to recreate an actual line or place I will take bits of the north and meld them together to hopefully create a believable fictitious place.

The layout wont have a name as such but will be called something like   "It were grim up north during t' war"     The sort of place you drive through on a rainy day when lost that you can never find again 10 years later but sticks in your mind because the atmosphere of the place is unrivaled!!

Sounds wonderful! And not a million miles in flavour from what I'm (not :( ) doing, except mine's relative to the ECML. Interesting about the name - or lack of it. Mine is/was provisionally "Scotsward Road" having a slight Sir Walter Scott ring to it, relative to the ECML. But I like the idea of a "Damp, Dark 'n Dour" poesy... I shall dwell upon that. (Actually, the off the top o' me 'ead 3Ds is not utterly useless?) Hmmmmm. So, essentially, if you are 1939 plus, you are post-grouping - LNER up to and including BR Which means... "Goatland gets green and cream paint - Huzzah!" Or Blue and white like Grosmont. I hated it when, as a toddler, my local station went from green and cream - which lasted till about 1953 - to the blue and white. Still think it's horrible, although - with the tangerine name-boards it can weather to really filthy which makes it almost tolerable-ish.

Take care. B'ware bears and babes in the woods. Panto Season. ;-)

Tony.

PS. I do realise that you have a fantastical bent to maintain which means G'lnd keeps the NE red... Sort of quantum entanglement.

Edited by Brass0four

• RMweb Premium

Tony.

PS. I do realise that you have a fantastical bent to maintain which means G'lnd keeps the NE red... Sort of quantum entanglement.

One day when/if I find the time I wish to scratch build a new set of buildings. So yes, maybe the blue and white or the green and cream. Decisions, decisions. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The title of this topic has been changed to accommodate the huge garage layout that Goathland will become a part of.
My aim is to build something very scenic in which to watch the trains run. There'll be lots of gradients, viaducts, tunnels and big mills.
Two double running lines with varying routes. No fiddle yard as such but hidden passing loops instead.
The outer main will include Goathland and a four track line splitting to two tracks at a large junction on the outskirts of a mill town.The inner line will include a model of Queensbury station , the triangle will enable trains to negotiate a double direction reverse loop.
The four track mainline is to be Lancs. & Yorks. Queensbury Gt. Northern of course.

The short fall is no large terminus as I had always wanted but there will be a total of 10 platforms throughout so mustn't grumble.

First step is to draw up a full plan on large paper and check all gradients will be possible. 

This plan has been evolving over 15 years. Last night the old grey cells went berserk  after two glasses of wine all the ideas came together. Now we will see if it pans out. 

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/q/queensbury/

• Like 3

Great stuff mate, that sounds like my type of layout, I am trying to get all that and more into about 16ft x 10ft but it wont fit, can I come over and borrow a corner of your shed.

All the best and really really looking forward to the build.

:sungum: Andy :sungum: :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I am sure you already know this mate, but the Queensbury lines were joint GN & L&Y, which opens up the possibilities even more.

In one of Jeff's threads (KL or the Lounge), I posted up some photos of Hewenden Viaduct at the weekend, taken from a walk up there last weekend. Amazing structure, fascinating and with some utterly bonkers engineering and gradients; the C12's used on the line had to have brakes fitted to the front pony truck to be able to cope with them (I know this because Frank from the club, who had them made up as etches for his London Road kit - which doesn't come with them as they weren't needed anywhere else - informed me the other night).

There isn't much left of the line nowadays other than the viaducts but I am more than willing to get out and get more photos for you, it's 10 minutes drive from here.

p.s. it isn't grim up by the viaduct, it's beautiful countryside :)

• RMweb Premium

Great stuff mate, that sounds like my type of layout, I am trying to get all that and more into about 16ft x 10ft but it wont fit, can I come over and borrow a corner of your shed.

All the best and really really looking forward to the build.

:sungum: Andy :sungum: :sungum:

You could always switch to N Andy mate! :jester: :jester:

• RMweb Premium

I am sure you already know this mate, but the Queensbury lines were joint GN & L&Y, which opens up the possibilities even more.

In one of Jeff's threads (KL or the Lounge), I posted up some photos of Hewenden Viaduct at the weekend, taken from a walk up there last weekend. Amazing structure, fascinating and with some utterly bonkers engineering and gradients; the C12's used on the line had to have brakes fitted to the front pony truck to be able to cope with them (I know this because Frank from the club, who had them made up as etches for his London Road kit - which doesn't come with them as they weren't needed anywhere else - informed me the other night).

There isn't much left of the line nowadays other than the viaducts but I am more than willing to get out and get more photos for you, it's 10 minutes drive from here.

p.s. it isn't grim up by the viaduct, it's beautiful countryside :)

I was not aware they were!! But what a bonus.

Projects in the post include an N1 and J50.  Later I will move to scratch building a J6 and am adding the C12 to the list.

Funny as I was looking up that route including the viaduct on Google Earth just the other day. I know it's far from grim up there. the grim end of the layout will be the mill town. Which I'm thinking about basing on Keighley . It is a lot of work Queensbury alone has 6 curved platforms with seven station buildings and 3 signal boxes.

It has been 20 years since I was in your neck of the woods mate and am itching to visit. don't get me wrong it's wonderful here with all the mountains and forests but that's all there is. No heritage to go visit! The mountain biking is not for wimps ;)

• RMweb Premium

Not only did Queensbury have six platforms but one of those was built on a viaduct and a cable hauled colliery incline went through the middle too: http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/q/queensbury/index.shtml

You could build a whole layout based on the station alone and it would be a winner :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So here's the plan of how it will fit together.
Basically three levels but then not much will be on the level anyhow. Goathland isn't!
There will be 4 continuous runs. Blue and purple around the outside. Green, a simple small loop (still bigger than Goathland at present) and orange taking in two passes of Queensbury and the low level return loop! Through the tunnel at A.

There could be a small tunnel at B allowing the line to be hidden behind a small goods terminus.

The scissor crossing at C will enable the whole layout to be switched to an inverted figure 8 allowing trains a run of 120' or more. :drag:   That's over 3000 scale yards if my calculations are right. Nice.

post-8964-0-08723100-1390641656_thumb.png 

Edit; There's something not right with the junction at bottom center!!!

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Now for some specs. B)  B) 
Peco and Shinohara track because I'll be in my 90s if I try to build it myself. All live frogs. :sarcastic: 
Tight curves to be hidden. :blind: 
Gradients 1 in 50 or greater. :superstition: 
Open frame baseboards which come apart for easy wiring/working , in case we need to move the layout and to allow the rails to expand in the hot summers here in Oregon.
No more kits or RTP but exceptions will be made.
To be built in stages although I'm not sure in what order. :scratchhead: 
NE,GN,L&Y railways during 1940s, 1950s & 1960s.
I suppose this means I'll have to backdate Goathland and be very nice to Mrs Sasquatch who has offered her help with the scenics. She's better at it than me, her words not mine.  :secret:

:sungum: 

• Like 4

Look forward to it with interest.

I cannot comment on turnouts, because, I think some of mine are un prototypical listening to some conversations.

I have one comment, having been there before myself, that sharp loop at the top which also includes an incline? , will I think be a right royal pain. I know it is not scale in the drawing but my helix, was 4 feet wide and needed two and a half loops to raise by 4 inches. Even then it was such a pain in the preverbal,  I gave up on it.

Now saying that, different craftsman skills, different stock etc, it may be fine for you, but forewarned is forearmed.

Edited by Kal