Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

Two caps were placed on the rails which gave an unmistakable  bang to alert the driver of impending danger.

They were used a lot in fog signaling before electronic devices!

There is a link above where our friend Boris explains more!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

After spending most of the week up in my barn hoping to convert it into a work shop thus freeing up the garage for the new last great project, work has come to a halt due to some rare owls who have made a home in the roof space there.

Unable to disturb the owls by law, it looks like the garage will have to remain as the woodwork shop and won't be housing grim up north after all.

It also means that there isn't a room big enough for Goathland so I'm putting it up for sale.

Please PM me to discus if you are interested.

Regards Shaun.  

Edited by Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

I hope this is an April Fools prank mate but if not, treat it as a setback rather than the end of your plans.

Are there any laws forbidding you to dress up like an owl and screeching an eviction notice at them whilst vigorously flapping your wings?

My tie that I chose to wear today has owls on it (it is a beauty, as I am sure you can imagine). All of a sudden, I no longer like it.

J.

• RMweb Premium

So the owls aren't resident only migrating through and now it's spring the owls have moved on! Funny how they know that spring begins on the first of April init!

Next time I wont be so hasty when throwing scratch built stations in the trash!!!  

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to hear about the barn Shaun and of course Goathland, it won't be the same when I go there now as I always had your layout in mind whenever I visited.

All the best

Jim

I'd better gat a move on if you are planning a trip any time soon.  Most projects around here are on hold while we are planting a veg garden and preparing for summer.

There is a trip planned to Eugene Or. this Saturday as there is a model train fair going on there. I will be on the look out for good second hand rail and items for kit bashing.

Up date on the textile mill:

I have mastered a new technique for installing all those windows and am currently 1/3 way through.

After the glazing fell out of the 26 already prepared a new type of glue was needed. After an accident I discovered that "Hobby Tac" which is used as  for placement of figures etc. Is great for sticking in windows as it doesn't actually dry out! It also dries clear!!

For fixing the windows into the building I am using "Mod Podge", which not only holds them but fills the gaps , allows for adjustment and also dries clear! But it is a slow job. 

Shaun. Off to spend a couple of hours on the barn project.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

All this mild weather has me beat this week! There's been very little time for RMweb and no energy left for modeling.

The barn is coming along very nicely and I hope to begin the last stage of the garage conversion in May!

I have been looking at some North American model railroad builds and think that their approach could work for what I have in mind for Grim Up North. There is however a flaw in my plan which involves a duck under which needs to be addressed.

The latest madness involves building a section of Bradford exchange, which would make sense as trains from Queensbury would terminate there.

Edited by Sasquatch

Hi Shaun, I like the Terminus idea, having spent time in the company of Mr T and Bacup I did enjoy the shunting and reasons for the Locos running around and the DMU in and out as well.

Good luck with the Garage / Barn.

I'm looking at a gate instead of a lifting flap for TLGP as I wont be able to duck under if I have my hip done.

All the best mate.

Bodge :sungum:

Sounds interesting do you have a design layout for it?

At least with Owls gone  xD you can get it done....and once it's all done.....you'll not only have a nice home....where you know all the ins and outs....so no surprises......but you'll be free to do the really important stuff, i.e. the layout :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Day out.

The owls we have here are either huge or tiny. When we lived at the lake there was a pigmy owl (6-7") that sat in the cherry tree one day watching us through our kitchen window. I've seen a couple of great grey owls once or twice which stood a good 27" with a 6' wingspan!    

Had a great day out with my friend Andy today at the Model Railroad fair up in Eugene. The vendors stalls were brimming with bargains, one very nice and accomplished narrow gauge modeler was selling off all kinds of great stuff like automatic reversing units, frets of etched lettering, bags of scenic stuff and bundles of styrene strip. We stopped in at Eugene Toy & Hobby who stock lots of goodies and had a fish and chip supper in a restaurant in Roseburg that occupies the old station building there. Oh and got mocca's at the drive through caboose coffee stop (that's a very American thing in case you're wondering)!  

Knackered and near broke     Sasquatch!

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Back on topic

Working in the garage seemed like a good idea at the time as I intended to do all the work like making all the stuff like new doors and cabinetry for our house in there. It's 20 feet away!

But....... there has been some urgent paid work for other family members which was dam near impossible in such a small space. 23X19 isn't so big when you have 14 wood machines and two work benches. The barn job is urgent as there seems to be some more work coming my way! So coupled with the veg garden and all the other projects on the go around here, it's all hands on deck (well almost). :nono:

Queensbury's foot bridges will need to be scratch built, the masters for the 6 wooden platform buildings are top of the to do list and I'm toying with the idea to cast the name boards too. Six the same to read        QUEENS BURY 

CHANGE    FOR

Then add.............................................................. Bradford, Keighley and Halifax ..........................................  to 2 each!

There is a J50 under construction from a Lima body and a Bachmann pannier tank chassis (progress is slow although I'm happy with the ride height).

post-8964-0-25807700-1396767233.jpg

post-8964-0-63212900-1396767284.jpg post-8964-0-07773700-1396767297.jpg

post-8964-0-42648400-1396770852_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic of the mill warehouse windows which have been on hold since July! :pardon:  :pardon:

post-8964-0-08604900-1396770981.jpg

Now for the much anticipated grim up north plan.....................................................

The revised plan bends back on itself allowing for viewing from 3 angles and squeezing in a small loco depot to serve the much compressed Bradford terminus and creating out and back running as well as the double return loop! Not in my sketch are the hidden storage sidings behind Goathland . The lower section which will be a post war mill town based on Keighley might end up looking like a miniature Slaithwaite. It will have two viaducts at one end with goods line next to the canal beneath. There is actually less track and fewer gradients than my original plan! Less is more! More or less!!

post-8964-0-42380800-1396771592_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the rough sketch, there just isn't time to make one on the lap top. 

Sasquatch...... and coffee just don't mix well!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like the PERFECT DAY out mate.

Bodge :sungum:

Thanks Andy! We spent a good 6 hours in the truck and at least 5 browsing through all the second hand goodies.

I'm still wide awake!!!

Looks like you have had a couple of nice trips yourself! :sungum:  :sungum:

After  Bradford Queensbury looks tight up against the track (is that just because of the quick drawing)? I was wondering if you did not take the walking in access so far  could you widen Queensbury?

Glad you had a great day out....'cos if you got goodies....in the course of time so will we :sungum: . Hope everything goes ok with the carpentry....real life has to take precedence....however much we wish it didn't.

Haven't hear any reference to Mrs Sasquatch recently hope she is ok. And has her mind on sorting your scenic details... :jester:

The mill warehouse is looking spectacular......

Edited by Jaz

• RMweb Premium

After  Bradford Queensbury looks tight up against the track (is that just because of the quick drawing)? I was wondering if you did not take the walking in access so far  could you widen Queensbury?

Haven't hear any reference to Mrs Sasquatch recently hope she is ok. And has her mind on sorting your scenic details... :jester:

There's 23 feet. less16" for the tracks either end and 2'6" walkway 10' out and back loop leaves just under 10' for Queensbury!

It is just a rough sketch.

I have modified it a little more this morning more on that later!

Yes I did buy some scenic stuff yesterday and Mrs Squatch asked if that was for her! She is busy with planting 1/1 scale scenic at the moment!!!

Edited by Sasquatch