Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

The idea is not to model Bradford but have a terminus which also has two through tracks (which enables the reverse loops) all under one overall roof and make a back drop give the impression that the station is much larger! It will however look like part of Bradford and could be operated as a four track termini.

Perhaps it should be called Bladford or something. The trains traveling from Queensbury enter a tunnel and then would use the long route around the 9' loop.

I have rearranged the viaducts to eliminate too many diamond crossings which would be a disaster waiting to happen with a 4 train roundy roundy.

The peco 3rd and 4th radius curves will all be hidden and gradients no less than 1 in 80 with the exception of the goods line which will be modeled on light railway restrictions to serve a large warehouse. 

The tram will run back and fourth through the mill town streets.

post-8964-0-56252000-1396846805_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

No table. All open frame sections!

I'll begin with sheets of hard board or 1/4" MDF on which a full size plan will be drawn.

Not intending to do it all at once either. Goathlands extension and the hidden sidings will be first then Queensbury and the loops, the long sweeping curve into the town, the viaducts and Bragflood last!  

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Yes I am kind of retired!  Enjoying the 70 degree weather today getting all those garden jobs done and some restructuring in the barn!

We're waiting for the morel   mushrooms to come up. When they do we'll be up in the woods hunting for them. Yum yum!!

Yes I am kind of retired!  Enjoying the 70 degree weather today getting all those garden jobs done and some restructuring in the barn!

We're waiting for the morel   mushrooms to come up. When they do we'll be up in the woods hunting for them. Yum yum!!

Are you sure you don't mean Magic Mushrooms?

Bodge :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

You're sure going to think I've been at some kind of mushrooms when you see what modeling went on this evening!

Found this little HO kit for $7 at the weekend and thought it might make a good Luftwaffe victim set at the back of the layout. It is a post war layout after all.  

post-8964-0-53370500-1396948983_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Andy, my model is nothing on Dave Shakespears bomb site. His is a work of art!

Jaz. No Linka just used what was in the box.  HO scale models add a lot of depth to a layout when placed at the back! I have a Walthers warehouse which when kit bashed will be 30" or so and this will form a brick mill structure at the back atop a cutting and slope. Some of those Dapol semis will be placed at the front of the layout. 

Al. The plan needs some fine tuning and will make a 1/12th drawing first! 

Brit Farmer. I think it was made by Pola but can be found in the AHM minikits, Tyco and Model Power ranges. It goes by the name of "Urban renewal Project" There's another called "building Under Demolition". They come with a nice model of Demolition plant Too!!! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Procrastination continues over the grand scheme. One problem has occurred to me and that is although there is plenty of space for Queensbury it needs to be the other way up.

As my plan is drawn, the Halifax line goes to Keighley and the Keighley line runs to Halifax!  :umbrage:  .

The easy solution would be to put Goathland at the bottom of the plan and Keighley at the top but then Goathland wont fit because the Abbey would obstruct the line which passes over to the Halifax hidden sidings!

Solution number two would be to model the mill town on Halifax instead of Keighley. :cry:

Edit: Solution number 3.view Goathland from the other side. MMMMmmmmmmmmmm................ 

HELP!!!! :help: :help: :help: :help:   

Edited by Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

I say rename Keighley as Halifax. As you have already modelled one preserved station with Goathland, then it may grate on you in future that the layout version of Keighley bears little resemblance to the real location, especially with the Oxenhope branch being missing. Halifax had a maze of lines too, mills galore (with some impressively huge ones still in existence) and a backscene of steep valley sides.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes!

Looking at the plan where I'm not intending to model either station, it might be best to take the best of both and make a town scape that captures the essence of the area. It wont make any difference from an operational point of view as trains end up in the hidden sidings after leaving Queensbury which ever way they go!

On the plus side two trains could be left running on the clock wise outer round circuits while a train could be driven from Bardford to Queensbury, then on to the mill town round through Goathland back into the mill town over the other viaduct, on to the hidden sidings behind Goathland through Queensbury on a different platform and back to Bradflood! All anti clockwise, stopping at all stations!! (Well over a 200foot run). Nice!!!!!  

Train movements could be made from any part of the layout to any of the hidden sidings. From one set of hidden sidings through some scenic sections to another set of sidings or from one feature to another, say from Goathland sidings around the reverse loops and on to the warehouse branch below the viaducts!  

Squatch. Wide awake and no doubt as to why .

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1

IF you turn Goathland around you lose all your lovely modelling....but it is only hidden from general view, and can still be photographed....and you know it is there (it is YOUR) layout....if Goathland works the other way and does not involve a major restructure... :swoon: it is worth  considering. Do we get to see more of the Abbey then??? :sungum:

And from personal experience...I have seen Kal say...we'll just change THIS LITTLE BIT......oh yeah I remember where that got us!!!!!!

• RMweb Premium

The original plan is old school having evolved from a plan in a Hornby track plan book (the big one in 4th edition)  which had two return loops, this was extended to include "Lostock Junction" which appeared in the Railway Modeler at about the same time. The Lostock Junc track layout will still be included which is a four track mainline splitting to two separate lines.

I'm just lucky that I have the space to include Goathland. The Queensbury idea fits better with the double return loops. Bradford because I always have had the inkling to model a terminus and it fits with Queensbury.  After seeing a few American layouts I realized how I could meld all this together!!!

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Oh Jaz you're right. The Abbey can't be viewed from the back as I only modeled the front!

I think what I'm going to do is model the mill town on aspects of several places and not just Keighley! That way trains heading to Halifax or Keighley from Queensbury can take the long route!!

The first bit to get done will be the Goathland extension.

The Barn remodeling is going very well and I am ahead of schedule. The machines might well be out of the garage sooner  than the end of next week. I could well end up with two free weeks for layout building. I should get an order in for track etc.

Edit: Managed to get almost everything needed to complete the barn conversion today. Just need some glass but that can wait. 

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 3