Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

Shaun, I was going to hit you with a great big DISAGREE on that score mate, its looking really good and its probably the fact that your seeing it close up and every day that stops you appreciating the workmanship you have achieved.

Andy :sungum:

Agree with Andy. I've tried scribing buildings and know how difficult it can be. Not only is your scribing very good but the paint finish really sets the whole thing off!

Hope you got your hare sorted. Very cute!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The girls at wildlifeimages were very happy to take him. They seemed  very confident about knowing their stuff having saved jack rabbits before and are knowledgeable  about the needs of babies.

Hope to get these windows done today as Mrs. S. is due home late which also means I'm cooking. So a full roast chicken dinner me thinks.

I leave you with another staged shot of 8F and a flying pig at Goathlands summit.

post-8964-0-49020800-1394316882_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Today I managed to make the last 5 windows, form the roof from Wills slate, paint and fix the windows.

In hindsight the interior could have been done before assembly. Next time I make a building with this method, the half paneling, fire places etc will be scribed on and painted first. 

Tomorrow, doors, chimneys, details. . 

post-8964-0-16317900-1394439163.jpg

post-8964-0-62085300-1394439174.jpg

post-8964-0-83696800-1394439196.jpg

post-8964-0-71842800-1394439184.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Lee, Thanks! The scribing is addictive but these windows aren't.  Now I'm trying isnta bond cyano. It is very slow work and difficult not getting the glue on the clear glazing.

No progress yesterday due to a blocked sink, which took up most of the day.   Mrs. S. is having an early night so perfect chance to make a few windows.

The windows on the mill are next as I've put this job off for too long. Get the jobs that I'm not enjoying out of the way then I will treat myself to a fun little project!

You could...........try this, it also comes with a  fine applicator............G-S Hypo Cement.

http://scaleartparts.com/page22.html

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/832748168.html

• RMweb Premium

Thanks dt!

Had resorted to dipping the tiny parts in a small puddle of cyano and wiping most off before placing very carefully. The particular glue used is clear so the misplacements don't show up too bad.

Painting them after was a nightmare in itself! I messed up on the open one but it will be under an awning behind the walkway so hardly seen.

• Like 1

I was going to reply to the last but one building when the windows were white and say.....if you get them a good colur they'll look lovely....and they do....I agree when one is close to something you get hyper critical. The building is looking really good.

Thanks dt!

Had resorted to dipping the tiny parts in a small puddle of cyano and wiping most off before placing very carefully. The particular glue used is clear so the misplacements don't show up too bad.

Painting them after was a nightmare in itself! I messed up on the open one but it will be under an awning behind the walkway so hardly seen.

Hi Shaun

I was going to ask how you did those and made such a good job of them, but I think I can guess :)

Great work so far.

• RMweb Premium

More pictures of the real thing with kind permission of John Alsop.

The booking hall was accessed via a walkway/foot bridge as it is situated at one corner of Queensbury triangle.

post-8964-0-58397200-1394508293.jpg

post-8964-0-53060000-1394509025_thumb.jpg

This picture taken above the Queensbury tunnel in the sixties, shows the building at top right with the approach road and viaduct over Hole Bottom.

The small pit was serviced by a rope worked tramway which has been subjected to land-fill in this view.

The siding within the triangle will not be modeled as it was added in the sixties probably for land-fill purposes.  

post-8964-0-84669800-1394509657.jpg

More great reading http://www.communigate.co.uk/brad/claytonhistorygroup/page11.phtml

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

The idea for the layout would be to view the scene from the opposite of that in the picture above. The viewer would be looking up hill under the viaduct towards the tunnel and up towards Queensbury beyond!

The link in my previous post suggests that trains were timed to arrive 3 at a time enabling connections between all three towns. Not complicated if you think about it but more expense on my part!  

After seeing Als footbridge on Bakewell I'm tempted to have a go at scratch building the footbridge and two walkways rather than raid the bank account for 3 Ratio footbridge kits.

All tunnels and bridges will be done using the scribing technique.

Base board construction will be open frame and utilize off cuts from my cabinet making business and house renovation.

Some older tender driven locos might get put up for auction to raise funds for the loco projects involved (They never get run anyhow) 

We have boxfuls of scenics.

That just leaves the track, point motors and signals!

Excited Sasquatch.

• Like 6

Morning Shaun, I'd love to see you build a Footbridge, but I wouldn't attempt it myself. The pic of the complete Triangle is really impressive and is just SHOUTING model me.

All the best,

Andy :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

This is encouraging! Not sure how to faithfully reproduce those ornate railings there are 180 fancy bits :O. I wont be able to afford to commission an etch. They look too fine to get lazar cut. Scale link don't make anything like it. So might just hack up some Hornby footbridges or might just have to bite the bullet and get some ratio kits!

• Like 3

Scroll down on this page and there is some fancy cast iron fencing Maybe could be cut up? 

http://www.langley-models.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_OO_Scale_Accessories_NEW_Items_F220_onwards_19.html

or this? 

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/372-21426

Link for Walthers and the fencing, can't see anything else that is of use but maybe worth a look? 

http://www.walthers.com/exec/search?category=&scale=H&manu=&item=&keywords=fence+fencing&words=extend&instock=Q&split=300&Submit=Search

Edited by thebritfarmer

• RMweb Premium

LNER N1 with twin set en-route from Keighley  to Bradford.

It looks like Coopercraft have their Kirk coach kits back on the market, so am making enquiries  to see if the parts needed to construct this pair of coaches can be obtained.

post-8964-0-05123600-1394828885.jpg

• Like 7

Lovely to see you are getting hold of old reference material, this will help you get more detail......and as you solve how to model it, we can learn from your experience.. :sungum:

If you decide to model the footbridge, act_mr has some good work on how to heat the and hold the shape.

• Like 1

Sasquatch

I have to say having taken your advice to try a Wills kit, I am seriously impressed with you dedication to these kits, the material takes ages to scribe even a single small half sheet. 

Also thank you very much for all the pointers you gave me on PMs, you have certainly saved me a major learning curve.I am almost ready to paint the second sheet. This building may take a while.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jaz, you are most welcome!

Wills craftsman kits are a little labor intensive but I find as will you that they are well worth every minute spent.

I have kind of moved away from Will sheets, not because of their toughness but due to the fact my buildings got much larger! Also I have been spurred on by other great works on here mainly Lees(Freebs) station, goods shed, Als (ACG-mr) Bakewell, Stubbys work, Jason(Sandside), Bacup, Messrs   Robinson and downs and yourself to try other methods which have worked out wonderfully and saved me a small fortune in postal charges!!  My local hobby suppliers have not been restocking either, so now I'm liking this scribing even more.

Regards Shaun 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

After a discussion about detonator placers today on Andy's Kingsley thread I thought I'd investigate. As they don't seem to be as common as I thought... 

Or are they.......?

Detonators were used to warn drivers of danger after passing a signal at danger or placed by the train crew 1 1/4 miles for and aft of a crippled train. All trains carry ten, usually in the guard's compartment.

Detonator placers were/are operated by levers in the signal cabin. These levers are black with white chevron markings pointing up for the up line and down for down lines. Some LNER cabins have stirrups in place of levers.

There are two of these at Goathland! more-here

And.......It just so happens that there was one at Queensbury which I've been puzzling over. Lever number 35 was painted to suit as per the lever function list for the East box  provided by Andrew AJ427.

post-8964-0-31806000-1395295545.jpg

post-8964-0-92175700-1395295565.jpg

Upon inspection of a few old images I think that the detonator placer is on the Keighley-Bradford line adjacent to the platform building. Why it's there is the big question?

post-8964-0-22741500-1395295609.jpg

post-8964-0-23957400-1395295584.jpg

So how to model it?

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Posting to share a couple of observations in the above two pics.

N1 69434 has two square cornered windowed Thompson 52'ers which seem to be in crimson. The Hornby variants have rounded corners to the windows! (not going to mention the wrong number of rivets)  

The permanent way has 60' curved sections with a low level of ballast and quite a canter. it is this canter that made judging the height of the station building difficult.

• RMweb Premium

I knew I was right about it, the two at Goathland are there to help protect against accidents on the single line passing loop! Let me see if I can find a picture of them there!!