Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

Thanks guys! :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

It's modeling on the cheap!! Had I gone to my local hobby store they probably won't have what I need as I have stripped the styrene display racks of all that is useful and when they order in it takes weeks. Anyhow the arches in the stonework have worked out perfectly and as the next set of pictures will show this is the best method I have come across that lines up the corner stones!

Today I have started the back section of the building.

The end off cut from the first build was saved and used to line up all the courses and lintels.

Then the corner stones are scribed on first.

post-8964-0-36271900-1393800362_thumb.jpg

First I have scored through the corners on the back before cutting out.

post-8964-0-74814900-1393800597_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-63210000-1393800614_thumb.jpg

Then out to the workshop to sand the miters in the back very carefully so as to not sand through the front card.

The sander was found at a garage sale for $20 it has a 40" belt and an 8" disc which has a small table that tilts down to 45 degrees, ideal for this job!

post-8964-0-83915600-1393800888.jpg

Here's a close up of the corner stones.

post-8964-0-17735800-1393800935_thumb.jpg

Cross eyed Squatch with writers cramp.  :crazy:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Shaun

Stunning signal box. :fan:  :fan:  Especially the repaired wall behind the drain pipe. :fan:  :fan:

Now I'm looking forward to what you will do with the booking office. :sungum:

Duncan

The drain pipe got knocked and the cyano pulled the paint away! It needs touching up but in view of your comment I might just leave it.

The windows are of a certain type so I think I'll go in for the scribed Plastic sheet with styrene frame surrounds.

This build is going extremely  quickly but I don't think I'd take on a whole street of houses as on Jasons Bacup or a mill. There are some wonderful bridges and tunnel mouths that need making and then there are the platform edges. So I think this method will be used for all the stone work on the Queensbury section of GUN!

Regards Shaun   

• Like 2

Thanks guys! :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

It's modeling on the cheap!! Had I gone to my local hobby store they probably won't have what I need as I have stripped the styrene display racks of all that is useful and when they order in it takes weeks. Anyhow the arches in the stonework have worked out perfectly and as the next set of pictures will show this is the best method I have come across that lines up the corner stones!

Today I have started the back section of the building.

The end off cut from the first build was saved and used to line up all the courses and lintels.

Then the corner stones are scribed on first.

attachicon.gif1.JPG

First I have scored through the corners on the back before cutting out.

attachicon.gif2.JPG

attachicon.gif3.JPG

Then out to the workshop to sand the miters in the back very carefully so as to not sand through the front card.

The sander was found at a garage sale for $20 it has a 40" belt and an 8" disc which has a small table that tilts down to 45 degrees, ideal for this job!

attachicon.gif4.JPG

Here's a close up of the corner stones.

attachicon.gif5.JPG

Cross eyed Squatch with writers cramp.  :crazy:

Crossed eyed with writers cramp.......that image will be enduring  :D  :haha:   :lol: ...................................... :jester:

I really like Bacup, can't beat it for atmosphere. But if you do 4-6 houses I think you would give it a massive flavour on the same idea, you could get that one small run to be a believable street (especially if you add a mirror!!!!) and get pictures of it Tricky but do-able.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This is the street I have in mind Jaz.

The kind of thing that could only be West Riding!

Perfect for the back of the layout. Less the skip of course, I was thinking horse and cart coal delivery.

post-8964-0-71546300-1393838522_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-21158500-1393838510.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Latest on the stone building at Queensbury.
Window and door openings have been cleaned up, squared off with a fine file & had their corner courses filed in.
Both sections are glued around a floor with PVA and held with tape.
A string course has been added at first floor level. Touch up paint applied.

post-8964-0-17729400-1393839028_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-62087700-1393839041_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-91407300-1393839051_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Check out the picture of Keighley station circ.1987in this link.

Details of note are the track. Nothing level here and a mixture of  wood and concrete sleepers.
The blackness of some of the stonework and those streets again!

http://www.lostrailwayswestyorkshire.co.uk/images/donations/David%20Walbank/Keighley/Keighley%20Station.jpg

• RMweb Premium

What I've got planed is to make one house front and one house back which will be used to make an RV mold. I can then cast as many house fronts as I need in two part plastic. Just like I did that abbey!

You would be welcome to the molds mate!

Regards Shaun.

PS. When casting in two part plastic rather than plaster, not only are the castings a thousand times stronger but more details are possible such as window bars. You just need to use injection molded windows from kits so as to create a slight taper on the bars enabling easy removal from the mold!  

• RMweb Premium

Here is the first window. Not happy with the scribing I have added .020"x.020" Evergreen strip glazing bars. Thinking that they should also be green, some Quantity of styrene strip will be applied to some masking tape and painted before proceeding.  

Resizing of images will become intense due to macro shots showing up flaws which are not noticeable to the naked eye. ;)

post-8964-0-40938100-1393914311.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thinned acrylic sandstone paint is applied a few square inches at a time and wiped off with a paper towel to represent the mortar.

The sheen left helps tone down the olive tones of the base coat.

post-8964-0-39466100-1393919654.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi Lee, Thanks! The scribing is addictive but these windows aren't.  Now I'm trying isnta bond cyano. It is very slow work and difficult not getting the glue on the clear glazing.

No progress yesterday due to a blocked sink, which took up most of the day.   Mrs. S. is having an early night so perfect chance to make a few windows.

The windows on the mill are next as I've put this job off for too long. Get the jobs that I'm not enjoying out of the way then I will treat myself to a fun little project!

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 2

Have started a new topic related to this one on the next fun project Locos-for-Queensbury

Morning Shaun, I just had a look in that section and will pop by again to keep and eye on its progress.

I just love the colouring of that Mill, its really coming on well.

All the best,

Andy :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Slowly getting the windows made. Painting the styrene strip before assembly was a waste of time due to the paint bleeding and chipping.

Mrs S. is complaining of head aches due to the cyano glue so that has slowed things up even more. 

It is starting to look like something out of Jekyll and Hyde and not like a station at all.

post-8964-0-18264100-1394174109.jpg

post-8964-0-04778900-1394174123.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 7

Slowly getting the windows made. Painting the styrene strip before assembly was a waste of time due to the paint bleeding and chipping.

Mrs S. is complaining of head aches due to the cyano glue so that has slowed things up even more. 

It is starting to look like something out of Jekyll and Hyde and not like a station at all.

attachicon.gifS1.JPG

attachicon.gifS2.JPG

Shaun, I was going to hit you with a great big DISAGREE on that score mate, its looking really good and its probably the fact that your seeing it close up and every day that stops you appreciating the workmanship you have achieved.

Andy :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Was looking forward to getting this building finished today..............but the cat dragged in a baby Jack Rabbit last night. They're actually hares and very delicate creatures so I have called around and the local wild life place are going to be very happy to take it. I've no other choice as returning it to mother is a no go. I just hope he makes it cos the place is quite a ways and is gonna cost half a tank of diesel.    I must be hopping mad.

post-8964-0-90270500-1394302681_thumb.jpg

• Like 6