Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

I sympathise with

1. the carpet monster......ggggrrrrrrrrrr

and

2. the avoiding getting bored.....

Have you considered working in a tray with lipped sides?

My railway-room was the Master's Bedroom - ######-pile carpet... (no, Jaz, don't go there  :nono: ) I left it in... IDIOT!!! :O  :O  :O

(memo to self: stop typing if you ever want to model again!)

Hal

EDIT: Damn RMweb robot deleted a legitimate word! OK... lie-down-and-have-a-cuddle-pile carpet... )

Edited by HAL 'O THE WYND

• RMweb Premium

The tray idea is good, trouble is the bits are so small they fly off into the abyss   when cutting  out and remember the left hand is pretty useless so can't hold the tiny parts without tweezers!

Why is it that I bother getting down on hand and knee to look for them, when I should have learnt by now it's always quicker to make a new part!

No modeling these past few evenings as I've been rather tired for some reason. We'll see how it goes tonight after todays heavy work load.

Squatch. Feeling like a mid day nap.      

• RMweb Premium

Had a nice running session this afternoon. I have solved the wheel slip on the gradient through Goathland station by adding a shim under each foot at the Whitby end of the layout. Simple solution huh!

The mill needed a temporary home so I've stood It on the inside of the curve next to the Abbey board.

It has received its new name in honor of the late Dave Shakespeare who inspired it!

post-8964-0-61393200-1421730155.jpg

A4 #4482 Golden Eagle has had its details added (after 20 years ( pat on the back)) and various details have been picked out in apple green such as her hand rails and pony wheels! This has improved the overall appearance no end.

post-8964-0-60584000-1421730279_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-38193100-1421730299_thumb.jpg

After taking on water at Goathland she continues on her journey South.

post-8964-0-15034500-1421730396_thumb.jpg 

Picking up a bit of speed on the down grade over Pottyshire viaduct, 4482 plunges into Abbey Hill tunnel.

post-8964-0-03584600-1421730377_thumb.jpg

Before the smoke had settled new arrival J11 trudges North with a loco coal train.

post-8964-0-09820000-1421730208_thumb.jpg

Ex Hull & Barnsley stock bringing up the rear.

post-8964-0-22152900-1421730186.jpg

post-8964-0-63751800-1421730255_thumb.jpg

And before Andy P. complains about missing loco staff, they are taking advantage of Goathlands gentlemens facilities!

post-8964-0-17583200-1421730224_thumb.jpg

The locals at the Birch Hall seem undisturbed by Preserved GNR N2 tank while enjoying The Last Of The afternoon Wine.

post-8964-0-29807900-1421730171_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Superb shots, Shaun.

Now is that dawn or dusk with that give away lighting in the station?

Must be dusk as "the locals at the Birch Hall...[are] enjoying The Last Of The afternoon Wine."

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks guys! Really nice to get such positive feedback!

Polly, the pictures were taken at dusk but represent dawn. When I get things organized properly this part of my dream plan will be turned around rectifying that.

Most of my day is free today so my intention is to tackle the track and alignment on the extension I built.

Other progress includes the application of primer in readiness for the carmine on the stock builds, some work on the twin set interiors and the acquisition of a Hornby N2 for a sensible price in readiness for the next loco project the N1! It was second hand from ebay and I was disappointed to find a non runner. I have stripped it down only to find it had been lubricated with what looks like ear wax!

Squatch   With a fresh pack of cotton buds to hand.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Far too nice for modeling today so the dogs took me up the mountain 4 miles up, about 2400' and 4 back down. Most of the way in my t-shirt.

We found a new dirt track to walk up where some old growth firs towered 200' one tree had fallen. Someone had cut through it with a chain saw just wide enough to get a jeep through so we stopped to count the rings. 237 years old!  Next time we're gonna do the last half mile and 950' to the top.

post-8964-0-75870000-1422158818_thumb.jpg

Mt. McLoughlin left of center and crater lake at left (62 miles away)

I did find one of my drawings on the phone of all places so here's a copy and the build I produced from it.. 

post-8964-0-17844500-1422158886_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-87068800-1422159024.jpg

Sasquatch, in his element!

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 7

Morning Andy mate.

The dogs were cream crackered. I bet they don't ache half as much as me this morning though!

It was so nice we might have to try it again today.

Not quite the same ATMOSPHERE as Brighton though mate, ahhahah

I have only one complaint over the compilation of pictures. I would have liked to ask question regards different pictures. e.g.for instance i would like to state that I am in thrall over that gorgeous mill in the back ground with the wonderful abbey displayed to its left. The perspective you have achieved is marvellous........green with envy........wonderful modelling....

.....so wish it was in this country so that i could con my way into coming and having a look at it close up.

That mill was worth every single window that drove you bonkers.......

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Seeing as you're not going to make the 11000 mile round trip any time soon, here is a retouched version.
What I did was position the camera as far back as I dared and zoom in. It makes it all look a lot closer together than it really is!

post-8964-0-32072100-1422242182_thumb.jpg

Call me nuts but I've got two more mills planned, several streets of terraced houses and three huge warehouse kit bash builds. I'm itching to make them as it's my absolute favorite modeling subject.

These are the mills and warehouses on which I plan to base my models.

post-8964-0-35446400-1422242199.jpgpost-8964-0-13828400-1422242210.jpg

post-8964-0-49114500-1422242224.jpgpost-8964-0-19271300-1422242250.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Two of them appear to be brick built, Shaun. That will never do for West Riding :)

The windows in the mill I'm currently building are driving me insane; not the Microstrip part (that is done) but the painting of the frames in mucky green. I am having to paint the sides of the 10 thou strips individually. 16 hours so far and just over half done. Makes it look even grubbier though...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Picked up two Walthers warehouse kits for a song and want to anglesize them into a new build factory, well new for 1950 anyhow.

The Cheshire lines warehouse will assume the CLC had running rights across the Pennines to my fictitious mill town over the L&YNWJR or something to a low level goods depot. You've got to admit it's going to make one hell of a goods shed. It has been started and was meant to go on Avon Park which got ditched! The other two are Gibson Mill near Hebden Bridge and that derelict mill in Keighley!

No sympathy from me where the windows are concerned, I thought I'd earned the straight jacket just trying to fit the 100 odd on my mill. Seems like I'll have to sew your name in it now. Full respect though Jason. I found Tarkovsky helped somewhat!!!!!

• Like 7

You can get 'modelling' paints that imitate the lead in stained glass windows. I wonder if you could add it with a lining pen (perhaps seeing if you need to thin the consistency) onto plastic sheet at the core angle then later cut it into the required squares......

oh LOL,  know what I mean, and it seems daunting to me......hat..coat....gone.....

• RMweb Premium

Jock, I have to ask, what is indecipherable about my post? Although there are some brick built warehouses and mills in the area around Bradford, Keighley and Halifax, they are very much the exceptions.

Of course, it may have been a mistake, especially as this was one of my more normal posts... :)

• Like 2

Two of them appear to be brick built, Shaun. That will never do for West Riding :)

The windows in the mill I'm currently building are driving me insane; not the Microstrip part (that is done) but the painting of the frames in mucky green. I am having to paint the sides of the 10 thou strips individually. 16 hours so far and just over half done. Makes it look even grubbier though...

Pleased about the mucky green. Like my previous perona, I have a thing against crisp white frames. (Which is easy for me to say having built none in mill-like quantity. For the record, Bacup is influencing me intensely. Trouble is, there were few mills north of the Tyne, so I have to seek out factories with a similar look. Trouble is, most are brick and I'm finding it impossible painting brick in quantity. It's virtually brick by brick, so I sympathise regarding the time and effort factor.

Regards,

Hal 

• RMweb Premium

Morning Shaun, will you be modelling the Leaded Windows in the Cheshire Lines Warehouse?

Brave man, but very talented.

I cheated and used rectangles cut from a plastic sack that garlic comes in. It's buried in a box somewhere, when I get 10 minutes I'll dig it out and get a picture. I built it years ago and the brickwork looks quite good seeing as it's HO scale!

You can get 'modelling' paints that imitate the lead in stained glass windows. I wonder if you could add it with a lining pen (perhaps seeing if you need to thin the consistency) onto plastic sheet at the core angle then later cut it into the required squares......

oh LOL,  know what I mean, and it seems daunting to me......hat..coat....gone.....

That's good to know about the paint. I have just realized that I painted the windows the wrong colour!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thread update.

The interiors for the twin set.

Mirrors are punched sticky back aluminium foil, seats with arm rests added from .020x.080" strip. The N gauge prints came from the free posters and signs from Model rail way back! The passengers are 1/70 scale circus crowd!

post-8964-0-17691700-1422300841_thumb.jpg

Sections primed and ready for air brushing.

post-8964-0-00430000-1422300824_thumb.jpg

A Parkside SR utility I built last year also ready for crimson! Much detailing as per the normal Sasquatch builds.

post-8964-0-91393200-1422300855.jpg

The Cheshire lines Warehouse as promised.

post-8964-0-57522200-1422300931_thumb.jpg

DPM modulars with large Slaters lettering and capitals from the scrap-booking section at the local art store.

post-8964-0-85834400-1422300954.jpg

I still need to make the roof which will involve casting 2 different sections 8 times.

post-8964-0-03387400-1422300897_thumb.jpg

And.......... I also found Avon parks other goods shed it's from the Wills kit with a roof from an American kit!

post-8964-0-59758300-1422301008_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-79448200-1422300973.jpgpost-8964-0-09601300-1422300991_thumb.jpg

Grim up north will feature a back drop of quite a few Bashed American model kits.

squatch  

• Like 2

Jock, I have to ask, what is indecipherable about my post? Although there are some brick built warehouses and mills in the area around Bradford, Keighley and Halifax, they are very much the exceptions.

Of course, it may have been a mistake, especially as this was one of my more normal posts... :)

Sincere apologies mate, simply thick finger syndrome now corrected - put it down to my age! I'll have to start using a pointer on the iPad!!

Kind regards,

Jock.