Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

I've just seen the new Bachmann LBSCR E4 tank locomotives.

The decision has been made to go back to my roots and ditch all the LNER/Grim up North and go green, I'm thinking deepest darkest Sussex here. Lets just hope it's not just

a poor silly fad.    

• Like 2

Not what your expecting, not what I was expecting either. There I was rearranging the layouts and generally tidying up then went to move one of Dunsters boards which made a tearing noise. Something nightmarish... :O

Latrodectus Hesperus  more commonly know as Black widow spider. Nasty. Very poisonous and nesting in my bunker! :triniti:

So I carefully turned the layout section around and there she was, nested up on top of the level crossing mechanism. I poked her with a stick and she made a run for it, and strung a thread dropping down through 3 access holes. I had to turn the board over and then it ran a short way across the floor before curling up and playing dead. So I crushed the bitch and her guts burst out across the concrete.

It gave me shivers and I've been edgy ever since!  :scared:   

attachicon.gifNasty ######.JPG

attachicon.gifBitch.JPG

Enough of the horror stories, more about what's been happening.

Two sets of legs were knocked up in my shop this afternoon. Some ply off cuts were ripped down and cut to length. All glued and stapled together very light weight and strong.

attachicon.gifNew legs.JPGattachicon.gifLeg joint detail.JPG

Here we see the old connection whereby the boards just slot together. This male end will need removing. The new connection will involve marring up the boards with clamps and boring out for 4 coach bolts with wing nuts and washers. Track tomorrow, grass by Friday. :jester:     

attachicon.gifOld board conection.JPG

Motive power lineup!

attachicon.gifMotive power line up.JPG

NYMR resident BR Mogul 76079  making a pilot trip.

attachicon.gif76079 B&W.JPG

That does my arachnophobia no good at all - I don't mind little shiny black spiders that can't kill you, but I don't like the big hairy 'house' spiders we get in England - I could never live abroad where BIG hairy spiders live! (The snakes you get in the same countries wouldn't bother me - I breed those!)

• RMweb Premium

It'll probably fade once you get to tomorrow (2nd April)!

It does look nice though... Join GWR/ SR!.....

Well spotted Sp1!

Seriously though I've always been able to avoid the temptation to go Southern. have you ever visited Horstead Keynes Station. It's like stepping back in time there. I have always wanted to model it. Along with Ventnor west on the IOW! would make the perfect little terminus layout.

Regards Shaun  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Some one we know here in Medford was bitten by a brown recluse spider. Their arm looks like half a blood orange has appeared under the skin.

I need to be more careful about sealing door up huh!

Snakes are OK. I particularly  like to see gopher snakes. They like to trick you into thinking that they're rattlers!

Some one we know here in Medford was bitten by a brown recluse spider. Their arm looks like half a blood orange has appeared under the skin.

I need to be more careful about sealing door up huh!

Snakes are OK. I particularly  like to see gopher snakes. They like to trick you into thinking that they're rattlers!

The whole Gopher/ Pine/ bullsnake family are interesting - not only do they do an impressive rattle, but have you ever heard one hiss when you pick them up- they do this even when they are 'tame' if they are annoyed: it's usually just bluff, but you never know! (My wife doesn't like them - another excuse to keep them ;-) ...just joking!
  • Like 3

Well spotted Sp1!

Seriously though I've always been able to avoid the temptation to go Southern. have you ever visited Horstead Keynes Station. It's like stepping back in time there. I have always wanted to model it. Along with Ventnor west on the IOW! would make the perfect little terminus layout.

Regards Shaun

I live about ten miles from Birmingham (the real one, not Alabama!) so it would have to be GWR/ LNWR (LMS) (one of our local schools is named after Sir Gilbert Claughton - some interesting history there!) : that's why I'm planning a model of the GWR in Devon ... :-).

I do also have LNER leanings, and have a long term plan for a layout there......

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yesterdays progress started with marrying up the new section. I didn't expect a good match and had to take 11mm off of the bottom of the legs at front.

post-8964-0-38110900-1427907861_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-35524900-1427907909_thumb.jpg

The discrepancies  in the scenic contours have been made up by chiseling out the existing foam and hot gluing in a new strip which was then rasped down.

I cut out all the track sections and fitted all the joiners. Holes have been drilled for all the droppers.

post-8964-0-34043000-1427907925_thumb.jpg

The track on the station board needed lifting to loose the gradient adjustment which existed to counter the change to level track that was laid on the old end section. Removing the ballast here proved tricky and replacing the fish plate even harder.  

I removed the old cast wall section and will make one long wall by scribing foam board and making a clean knife cut at the baseboard joint when complete.

post-8964-0-28449900-1427907941_thumb.jpg

Here's a moody shot of the Abbey at the other end of the layout.

Squatch.    

post-8964-0-05763200-1427907963_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

The whole Gopher/ Pine/ bullsnake family are interesting - not only do they do an impressive rattle, but have you ever heard one hiss when you pick them up- they do this even when they are 'tame' if they are annoyed: it's usually just bluff, but you never know! (My wife doesn't like them - another excuse to keep them ;-) ...just joking!

Mrs. S. picks them up and they doo hiss at her. Me, I'm more into grabbing the camera. One of our cats brings in all sorts including alligator lizards, they hiss too. There was one behind the kitchen trash can last year hissing quite loudly too it was. I was a bit cautious as it was about 12" long.

I live about ten miles from Birmingham (the real one, not Alabama!) so it would have to be GWR/ LNWR (LMS) (one of our local schools is named after Sir Gilbert Claughton - some interesting history there!) : that's why I'm planning a model of the GWR in Devon ... :-).

I do also have LNER leanings, and have a long term plan for a layout there......

Always like layouts built around two railway companies.

Dunster will be put back in the attic room before winter and plans are afoot to build Minehead and turn it into a U shaped end to end layout!

Grim Up North will be GNR and L&Y! With of course, Goathland which is NER. If I could squeeze in a Cheshire lines branch then I'd have all my favorites in one layout!

Crazy I know but so what I'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it!!!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi Shaun

Looks like the improvements / changes are progressing well. Looking forward to seeing the two sections blended together

Hi Duncan.

Looks strange at the moment. I have set myself a work bench up in there and hope to get the track down this afternoon when it warms up a bit. Solder iron time YEaA.

First the dogs want to take me up the mountain though!

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Got the track down and the trains running. The weather has turned cold so I've retreated back to the dining table and the warmth of the wood fire.

Much detailing on the signal cabin. (Lots of fiddly bits that might never get noticed which are real fun to make. I said back on page one of this thread that one day I'd do this so here goes...

Chimney repaint and new pot from a Peco column.

post-8964-0-06485500-1428436127.jpg

Added details to the front are lintels and seals from strip and a brick arch.

post-8964-0-94679200-1428436163_thumb.jpg

The insert is a push fit. the chair was fiddly to make, other bits are from the Ratio kit.

post-8964-0-44209800-1428436180.jpg

Details on the back wall all from scraps. The paneling is cut from paint sample cards!

post-8964-0-87587700-1428436103.jpg

The view through the doorway.

post-8964-0-71306200-1428436140.jpg

A new wall has been scribed out for the new layout section. More on this later..  

post-8964-0-74881900-1428436200_thumb.jpg  

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I've just seen the new Bachmann LBSCR E4 tank locomotives.

The decision has been made to go back to my roots and ditch all the LNER/Grim up North and go green, I'm thinking deepest darkest Sussex here. Lets just hope it's not just

a poor silly fad.    

It's gorgeous.  :sungum:

Need I say more?

Shaun,

I love your chair.  I have made a few so I know how difficult they are.  How did you do the upholstery, and what colour is it?

Shaun, I love the chair, too.  It looks so lived in.

And, in an individual jam pot, I just have the ideal thing - some thin strips of leather which tore off a well worn leather seat on one of our chairs.  Now I know what to do with it, with a bit of ageing and weathering, and Ray has a signals kit just waiting to be built and put in the signal box.

Thanks for the inspiration.

post-14049-0-56812600-1428440723.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The sides were found on a sprure of HO parts in a bag of windows for $1 at a show. The upholstery was fashioned from styrene rectangular tube and dappled with pewter grey acrylic.  Getting the mahogany colour right isn't easy.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks guys and girls!

This would have been finished today but we have spent all day searching for one of our cats who unusually went out at 6ish yesterday evening without a full stomach and  must have wandered off into the woods. :cry:

Edited by Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

Work on the signal cabin is nearing completion. I have added new finials from Scale Link, redone some of the windows and added the ends of the exposed purlins. 

post-8964-0-16684700-1428869543.jpg

post-8964-0-98782600-1428869528.jpg

I'm not too happy with the name boards so will get my friend to print me some off.

post-8964-0-76528300-1428869457.jpg

Inside, block instruments have been installed along with more telephones etc. I don't know how N gauge modelers do it, but  I find painting such small details a bug bare!

post-8964-0-14096300-1428869557.jpg

Next Up will be attention to the signaling. WTS. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Very observant of you Edward66. It started life as a Peco column so it's well past it's prime. The problem has been dealt with.

Here's a picture of the cabin in place on the layout. (complete with fully erect chimney).

And two poor close ups with the interior lighting. Will get better shots of it after dark!

post-8964-0-69354200-1428964248_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-72054200-1428964261_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-68115000-1428964275_thumb.jpg

• Like 10