The Longsight Patriot

Just a few comments on the photos posted last night.

Question to self: have I put the oil pots on with the bottom facing out? Oh B*****r! It looks like it. Thank heavens for soldered construction.

The reach rod had a small brass rivet soldered at one end. This will mate with the crank on the frames and will be left loose so the body and frames can be separated. The reach rod needs to be sprung very slighhtly down to make teh joint so it will hold in place. The reach rod itself is secured by another small rivet through its support bracket and therefore free to move fore and aft.

I had a plan to fit the ejector once the top feed pipes had been fitted. [Note to self: increase the quantity of thick copper wire in the kits, there is insufficient as packed]. However, with the iron warmed up I decided to move to the front end and do the buffer stocks (MOK self contained to match the tender), AWS protection plate, lamp irons and finally the small oil pots by the splashers.

The holes for the handrail knobs have been enlarged and joy of joys they are in a straight line along the smokebox, boiler and firebox.

So just a few jobs left before clean up and priming: cab doors, ejector pipework, smokebox blister and down pipe, lubricators and associated oil pipes, large oil pots, smoke box door catch and handle and handrails. So long as I don't get too blatted tonight (it being Friday after all) and the lubricator oil pipework goes OK, loco construction may conclude tomorrow..............

• Like 3

Looks good, I am hoping a Jubilee will be next up on the bench, I have not made many LMS locos.

Not to much more to do now. Will it be in red? I think the colour suits the 4-6-0´s.

Both Rebuilt Jubilees were Crimson Lake too.

I don't think they were. They were converted in 1942 which is after the abandonment of lake.

According to the LMS Locomotive Monographs book on the Jubilee's they both were Crimson Lake after being rebuilt. Neither received any form of LMS black, first time one of them was black was 45735 which got the LNWR style BR Black.

I did not think the jubilees were rebuilt, were they not built with tapered boilers. I thought it was only Scotts and patriots that changed from parallel to tapered. 

The two Jubilees referred to, Phoenix & Comet, were rebuilt with larger boilers (2A?) similar to the rebuilt Scots and Patriots. IIRC it was at the request of the traffic dept. for 2 extra class 6's (Jubilees being only 5XP at the time).

Ray.

According to the LMS Locomotive Monographs book on the Jubilee's they both were Crimson Lake after being rebuilt. Neither received any form of LMS black, first time one of them was black was 45735 which got the LNWR style BR Black.

Checking my one photograph to hand shows 5736 lined as per crimson lake (although I think it's actually photographic grey) so that indicates you're correct, Brocp.

Obviously a side issue to the Longsight Patriot, which is neither a Jubilee nor destined for crimson lake, thanks David for allowing this diversion.

• Like 1

Checking my one photograph to hand shows 5736 lined as per crimson lake (although I think it's actually photographic grey) so that indicates you're correct, Brocp.

Obviously a side issue to the Longsight Patriot, which is neither a Jubilee nor destined for crimson lake, thanks David for allowing this diversion.

David Clarke in his book ' LMS/BR Class 7 4-6-0 rebuilds' clearly states that 5735 Comet and 5736 Phoenix were both out shopped in black with shaded yellow lettering, following the LMS decision in 1940, that all locomotives needing painting, were to be black.

Sandy

Sandy

Yesterday I managed to do quite a bit: fit the ejector pipework, smokebox furniture and handrails so I hoped I would finish today but not quite finished: I feel a bit lethargic today!

But I did manage to drill out the lubricators and oil pots to take the pipes: and I broke only one drill in the process!

post-13840-0-16661600-1483183958_thumb.jpg

The smoke deflectors took some time to assemble. These have to be left off for the painter, but I cam up with a ruse to get them to fit. There are a couple of brackets at the top which hang over the handrail but silly me cut the handrail too short. However, I was then able to solder a small length of tube to one of the brackets.

post-13840-0-73432700-1483183965_thumb.jpg

This then slides over the handrail ahead of the leading handrail knob, holding it in place.

post-13840-0-51097900-1483183961_thumb.jpg

I have also spent some time producing a fixing for the cab doors. More on that tomorrow.

• Like 5

A Happy New Year to you all!

Cab doors - a day later than promised. Here is the simple bracket and tube attached to the dore etch. The excess length of unwanted hinge was cut form the door. The bracket is soldered inside the cab wall and teh door held in place with some 0.5mm wire. It works!

post-13840-0-33465000-1483349608_thumb.jpg

I glued the lubricators to the running plate.

post-13840-0-78279200-1483349611_thumb.jpg

And finally here he is awaiting priming.

post-13840-0-73502200-1483349614_thumb.jpg

post-13840-0-44588900-1483349619_thumb.jpg

post-13840-0-72674700-1483349622_thumb.jpg

Runs nicely too, so barring any last minute disasters, definitely ready for Bristol (in primer).

So now to think about the next jobs. I have decided to have a go at multi-tasking. Sometimes the mojo disappears if a job is not going as hoped, so I am going to start a Gladiator Stanier Mogul and a Finney West Country at the same time. This will either result in double depression or more rapid progress!!!

• Like 10

so I am going to start a Gladiator Stanier Mogul and a Finney West Country at the same time. This will either result in double depression or more rapid progress!!!

Hi David,

Can I remind you that our revised Bulleid Light Pacific instructions are available to download from our website www.finney7.co.uk

Cheers,

Richard Lambert

Finney7

Hi David,

Can I remind you that our revised Bulleid Light Pacific instructions are available to download from our website www.finney7.co.uk

Cheers,

Richard Lambert

Finney7

Duly reminded!

A quick look through the leftover bits revealed a front vacuum pipe so this is now on. Glad I found that before priming.

Sorry David, but is it planned to be showed at an event? If so, please can you let me know where?

Kind regards,

Mookie

Hi! Sir Frank will be on the Gladiator stall at the Bristol 0 gauge show on 22 January.

Edited by david.hill64
  • Like 1

Guest Isambarduk

Very tidy ... except those truly dreadful drawhooks!  They look very much like those supplied with RTR locos from the San Cheng Crafts factory (Bachmann, Tower, FineScaleBrass) - even Randolph Chang, the factory owner, said that they were a mistake and he would have replaced them but the casters had made thousands of them for him when they were not busy.  I am sure that your model deserves better than these?

Many modellers replace them on their models; I always have replaced the drawhook but I have reused one or both of the shackles, depending on whether the prototype had a D shackle or two separate top links:

StanierBogieBefore.jpg

Drawgear as supplied on a RTR Black Five

8105-3_4Front-s.jpg

A replacement drawhook and two single top links fitted to a 8F

Details of this and other reworkings at www.davidlosmith.co.uk/LMS_Black_Five_Jubilee.htm and www.davidlosmith.co.uk/LMS_8F.htm

David

• 3 months later...

Very nice David but oh! those boiler bands!!!!! :nono:

Sandy

They are a bit chunky! I now know that the painters would prefer them left off, so I think that the current mogul build may be the last to have them on.

• 4 weeks later...