The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

What 'unsolved mysteries' interests you the most?

OnTheBranchline

• RMweb Premium

Hello everyone,

For me, the unsolved mystery that interests me the most is the case of George Mallory and Andrew Irvine climbing Everest in 1924. Although George Mallory's body was found in 1999, the questions still remain. Did they make the summit? What happened to Andrew Irvine? What happened to Irvine's camera?

Hello everyone,

For me, the unsolved mystery that interests me the most is the case of George Mallory and Andrew Irvine climbing Everest in 1924. Although George Mallory's body was found in 1999, the questions still remain. Did they make the summit? What happened to Andrew Irvine? What happened to Irvine's camera?

I'm also intruiged by this, especially the possibility that the camera might be found, complete with a photo of them at the summit. It's a remote chance, but the film from the long lost 'Ornen' balloon expedition was found and developed decades later. 

That reminds me of another mystery: what happened to the body of Prime Minister Harold Holt?

The wildlife here wastes no time in turning you into part of the food chain. No Chinese submarine necessary, just one or two large predator/scavengers and a whole host of invertebrates.

It's not just in the water either. A while ago I spent half an hour lying in the bushes following a motorcycle crash and was subsequently amazed at the variety of small (and not so small) crawling and wriggling things which fell out of my clothing in A&E :O. They must have thought all their carrion Christmases had come at once.

• RMweb Premium

Why do some people like Russell Brand? To me he is just a gobby objectionable*****. On a more serious note, I'm fascinated by the whole subject of the advanced armaments programs of Germany in WW2 and second guessing which were genuine as most of that stuff is just myth and hearsay..

The concept of time.

It appears to move consecutively and consistently, though this is only because we are the ones moving through it. Thus, time is subjective to any one viewpoint at any moment in time. Anything that happens after that instant, is the future, and before is the past. Though this view is only supported because we are the ones going through it. Though that could be defined as any moment that (currently) has happened or will happen. So, technically, it is possible that every moment in time is happening simultaneously, though it doesn't appear so because of our subjective viewpoints.

By example, 'my' time could run 5 minutes behind everyone else. But because I post this at a specific moment in time, it would appear relative to everyone elses timeline (so you'd see it 5 mins before I actually post it). Thus you would see this before I actually post it. Think of it like Skyping a friend on the other side of the world - there'd be a delay; well this is the reverse. You'd hear me say something before I actually say it, thus time would appear relative. Who's to say my time doesn't run faster than someone elses time; a year in my time may appear to go quicker than someone elses, but because it is defined by a common unit - 'a year' - it becomes relative. 1 minute to me, may actually be 4 minutes to someone else, but because of the common unit of 'a minute' the different lengths may still be defined as being the same thing, but experienced at different speeds.

Regards,

Matt

• RMweb Premium

The concept of time.

It appears to move consecutively and consistently, though this is only because we are the ones moving through it. Thus, time is subjective to any one viewpoint at any moment in time. Anything that happens after that instant, is the future, and before is the past. Though this view is only supported because we are the ones going through it. Though that could be defined as any moment that (currently) has happened or will happen. So, technically, it is possible that every moment in time is happening simultaneously, though it doesn't appear so because of our subjective viewpoints.

By example, 'my' time could run 5 minutes behind everyone else. But because I post this at a specific moment in time, it would appear relative to everyone elses timeline (so you'd see it 5 mins before I actually post it). Thus you would see this before I actually post it. Think of it like Skyping a friend on the other side of the world - there'd be a delay; well this is the reverse. You'd hear me say something before I actually say it, thus time would appear relative. Who's to say my time doesn't run faster than someone elses time; a year in my time may appear to go quicker than someone elses, but because it is defined by a common unit - 'a year' - it becomes relative. 1 minute to me, may actually be 4 minutes to someone else, but because of the common unit of 'a minute' the different lengths may still be defined as being the same thing, but experienced at different speeds.

Regards,

Matt

Moving away from mysteries now, but I find quantum theory and its implications and possibilities to be baffling, a bit scary and utterly fascinating.

What was in Custer's mind as he divided his command into smaller and smaller groups even though he'd seen how many enemies he was facing.

Whilst I'm fully aware that it's fictional rather than historical, I've always thoroughly enjoyed Flashman's take on Custer, particularly the line, with regard to General Terry, "I suspect the last thing he wanted was Custer loose about the place with machine guns".

Moving away from mysteries now, but I find quantum theory and its implications and possibilities to be baffling, a bit scary and utterly fascinating.

Yes, black holes fascinate me. And the possibility that they may distort time so much that they provide an entry into another dimension.

Scientists say there may be very large black holes at the centre of each galaxy, but why at the centre? Are galaxies rotating around black holes because they are there, or despite their presence? If a black hole is merely a giant collapsed star, there ought to be more of them scattered throughout galaxies.

What happened to what was left of Crassus's legions after they were defeated by the Parthians. I've read quite a few books on the subject and no one knows. But it's amazing how 10,000 legionaries simply vanished off the face of the earth.

Big James

Sasquatch et al

Yup this is the one for me currently. I've watched endless footage that makes me think – fake but in contrast some of the eye witness accounts remain compelling as does the odd bit of film.

The other one that has me interested is the 411 Missing investigations. Folks who literally just vanish, often to be found, usually dead, in places that have already been searched multiple times.

Then for the really weird is the Elisa Lam case…

The wildlife here wastes no time in turning you into part of the food chain. .....was subsequently amazed at the variety of small (and not so small) crawling and wriggling things which fell out of my clothing in A&E :O. They must have thought all their carrion Christmases had come at once.

What disturbs me most about this is that you were still alive at the time.....

Archived