If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

G'Day from Perth Australia

Andy Mac

Hello everyone....

Long time lurker here.... Finally decided to come out into the open!!

I'm Andrew, and originally from Glasgow now living in Perth Australia for 8 years...

My interests are playing with my 40,000 ton, 1:1 scale iron ore freight train set whilst I'm at work (train controller for BHP) and on a smaller scale, OO gauge modern (ish) image Br Blue onwards....

So looking forward to getting involved in some discussions and hopefully find some fellow modellers out here in the most remote capital city in the world to catch up with and talk model trains!

• RMweb Premium

Welcome aboard Andy. There are quite a few members of the British Railway Modellers of Australia in and around Perth that would be only too happy to talk trains. Getting some of them to stop talking is a different story...

Thanks gents for the welcome.....

Dutch.... Working on a freight iron ore railway, it gets pretty repetitive!!! We run a pair of SD70's with 132 wagons... Each wagon holds about 136tons of ore.... We then double up the consist and run the trains as 2 Sd70's, 132 cars, 2Sd70's 132 cars... When the get to the port for dumping we then split them into the two original consist and send them to one of 5 car dumpers.... On a busy day we can do 25/26 double trains but are currently running below this.... The forces that these loaded trains exert on the track and infrastructure are immense.... You can imagineers doesn't take long before the techs are out trying to fix the points if they have had a few movements of loadeds in reverse!

Also trains are just under 3km long, so if something goes wrong can take an awful long time to walk the train and stick up to 264 hand brakes on!

MGR, who are you hoping to drive with? I've got a rather distinctive accent amongst all the Aussie controllers so hard to miss!

ST Enodoc, I'll be glad to talk proper trains with some other British modellers!

hi, i am 'just up the road' in Geraldton, driving slightly smaller iron ore trains, and i run the British railway modelling in Australia Facebook group. theres over 125 modellers in the group so far :-)

its surprising how many people actually model british stuff here

Thanks for the message 47606.... Hmmm.... You might have heard my voice on the radio's maybe 4 years ago....I'd have been on mid west control with west net/Brookfield rail down in Perth...... The Scottish one! I'll try and find you on Facebook.....

• RMweb Premium

Thanks gents for the welcome.....

Dutch.... Working on a freight iron ore railway, it gets pretty repetitive!!! We run a pair of SD70's with 132 wagons... Each wagon holds about 136tons of ore.... We then double up the consist and run the trains as 2 Sd70's, 132 cars, 2Sd70's 132 cars... When the get to the port for dumping we then split them into the two original consist and send them to one of 5 car dumpers.... On a busy day we can do 25/26 double trains but are currently running below this.... The forces that these loaded trains exert on the track and infrastructure are immense.... You can imagineers doesn't take long before the techs are out trying to fix the points if they have had a few movements of loadeds in reverse!

Also trains are just under 3km long, so if something goes wrong can take an awful long time to walk the train and stick up to 264 hand brakes on!

MGR, who are you hoping to drive with? I've got a rather distinctive accent amongst all the Aussie controllers so hard to miss!

ST Enodoc, I'll be glad to talk proper trains with some other British modellers!

Andy, if you haven't found it yet the BRMA website is at www.brma.org.au.

• 4 months later...

Hello Andrew.

This is Fred.  I retired from the RAF and now live in Mandurah. I cannot find any enthusiasts living locally. I contacted AMRA but they refused to give any contacts because I am not  member.

Hello from the eastern states... you'll enjoy BRMA.... we (I think I can say that as having been a member for some thing like 25 or 26 years... my first TCH was no 50!) get together in each state and annually we have a convention. This year it is here in Melbourne I think.

Above has been mentioned that there is a fair number of British modellers around... well BRMA has about 500 members Australia wide. I think there must be a large contingent that is not a member who model British but aren't into the association.

Check out stockrington on RMweb Scott I think is in your part of the continent!

Archived