New N gauge Crowdfunded Class 92 electric locomotive project

DJM Dave

I've found one error that's hung around from day one... as stated images of the prototype or a Hornby/Graham Farish Class 60 can be used as a reference. And also the windows on the cab side.

post-27484-0-75481300-1482411831_thumb.jpg

post-27484-0-14296400-1482412462_thumb.jpg

I will do some scrutinizing of the roof a bit later.

Cheers and seasons greetings to you as well.

Edited by MGR Hooper!

As one who has a constant battle with file size when posting to RMWeb I think that might not be possible....

Les

1) Just a page back there are actually better quality pictures, so it is possible. RevolutioN have posted clear pictures of theirs without any issue. DJ himself has posted CAD images many a time with no issue. It's basically the quality spoilt because of the CAD package's rendering and zooming out too much. I think DJ can get better feedback if more pictures of the model are posted as close-ups (cab, body, roof is 3 parts etc).

2) As Alistair said it could be just linked to his page, which hasn't been updated yet with these images.

Of course another reason could be not wishing to give away too much detailed  information to a competitor.... 

Les

Well then there is barely any point to share CAD images right? Most secretive new developments will be part of the actually inner workings of the model. DJ has already given us certain specs about what details we can see on the body. I cannot think of anything on the outside that can be so secretive.

I cannot think of anything on the outside that can be so secretive.

Yep, especially as both companies are trying to replicate a real locomotive as accurately as possible that as been in the public domain for many years.

G.

• 1 month later...

N and OO gauge Class 92 Crowdfunded models

DJModels have been approached by some customers who have ‘pre ordered’ these models in both gauges to extend the ‘cut off’ date for deposits due to the long January and Christmas coming so close to the cut off date, not helping them with their cash flow.

With this in mind I will be extending the cut off date for these models by a month, and the new closing date will be Suday (midnight) 6th of March.

Reminders will also be sent out to those that may have forgotten this project.

It also leaves new orders available for those that didn’t know these models were going ahead.

As an update on both projects, the final cad/cam is due as soon as Chinese New Year is over and I will be authorising tooling immediately after that date.

With this in mind the 50% tooling deposit invoice will be sent to all crowdfunders before or on the 5th of March.

Dave Jones

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Latest OO gauge cad/cam now up on the OO gauge 92 thread.

N gauge one a bit later this week after I've added a couple of things to both gauges design.

Otherwise, whatever you see on the OO one except the coupling, you will be getting on the N gauge one.

The release I've typed there pretty much works for the N gauge one too.

Cheers

Dave

• 2 months later...

Morning All,

I've kept fairly quiet regarding the DJM 92, having been a follower of the N thread, however after the recent announcement from the other supplier, I thought I'd see the latest with the DJ version, since it has been very quiet. I then found the prompt from the N thread that more info is available on this thread. I hadn't realised quite how far past the suggested milestones we were, and was quite dismayed at the lack of any news.

Can I suggest that one of the biggest issues regarding the comments on this thread is that feedback is being given from OO and N modellers; the OO modellers being "all for it" since it is the only source of an improved model, whereas the N modellers have another offering for a quality model from an alternative source. Perhaps the discussions for the N model should be kept to the N thread, as long as there are sufficient updates from the supplier; it is only a matter of copying and pasting an update to both threads.

On the basis that it appears that the N model is not yet guaranteed (it's not even on the progress chart on the website), it leaves me in a position where I have paid my £30 deposit, having already cancelled my initial order to re-order the later advertised livery (I could easily have jumped ship at that time having had the refund). I am now seeing development of the alternative sources model ahead of the order I have placed, and at a lower price. Knowing what the N market is like for these things, if the other source sells out quickly, the only source will be extortionately priced models from eBay. If the DJ model then doesn't come to fruition, I would be left having to buy at stupid prices from potentially untrustworthy eBay sellers.

Cheers,

Mark

P.S. I copied and pasted this from the OO thread took about 30 seconds!

• 1 month later...

Is this project for an N gauge class 92 still alive?

I ask as I have in recent weeks expressed an interest in 3 models using the DJM web site, twice sent and no reply.

Sent an email to the address as per the web page - ditto response - i.e nothing.

Now joined RMWeb as this forum seems at times to elicit a response on what the position is.

Strange as DJM want crowd funders and repeatedly ask for support, all I want to know is am I wasting my time? dependant on this response is my willingness to place a further order for a rule 1 King.

• Like 1

Good morning everyone,

just a quick update from me today, on the progress of this project and please note this and the OO version really go hand in hand so this post is almost the same as the OO one.

Firstly the project is not 'still born' or dead or cancelled or defunct. Far from it, I have enough orders from stockists and crowdfunders to push this model over the line reasonably easily.

I am currently talking to the factory about slots, which is not easy this time of year, for tooling and model manufacture unless you've booked well in advance.

I'm hoping to have all the 'T's and 'I's crossed and dotted soon so that i can send invoices out to you all for the tooling to commence. This will be the same for both gauges and i sincerely hope to have something tangible on the stand for Warley this year to show off to you all.

Negotiations with railway companies about proposed new liveries and exclusivity etc are still on going, as these things tend to be slow due to painting the real thing, namings etc, so its possible something might get announced today or next month on these.

The Pantograph is causing some debate and rightly so, especially since the powered panto on the 90 is such an interesting development for UK RTR model railways, but as with a poseable pantograph, there will always be compromises in the design to help the head ride the wire. 

More from me as soon as i have it.

cheers

Dave

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone,

unfortunately the 3D printed N gauge class 92 wasnt delivered in time for Warley, but if you'll forgive me and only to illustrate how good this model will be, i attach the OO version 3D printed model to whet the appetite, as the N gauge production one is created from the OO Cad/Cam.

Things to note....... the roof detail is exemplary, even in a printed model, including areas that will be etched steel (10 on the roof in total) 2 on the bodyside, 2 ectched windscreen wipers, and so on and forth.

Anyway it gives you a great idea of how the N gauge model will turn out.

Speaking of which, i also attach a pic of the 'N' gauge one next to an N loco and its OO gauge big brother. It seems the 3D peeps made a horlicks somehow as the 'T' gauge tiny model should have been the N gauge one, but if you look carefully, as some did at Warley, you can still see the detail of the OO one on that little thing.

More when i have it, and don't forget this week you will be able to order the Stobart Rail model as well.

Cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-89705800-1511890133_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-52644800-1511890149_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-56865200-1511890165_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-00200000-1511890191_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-29300800-1511890202_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

A belated posting as i got the 3D prints and they are 'ok' but not brilliant, so here they are primed and photographed for your delictation.

Please note the roof will be as detailed as the OO version and if you look closely you can see the fans, and fine detail etc.

Remember that this model will be proceeding at the end of January with the second stage deposits being invoiced. If you have yet to receive your first payment deposit invoice please PM me here so i can get the ball rolling for you.

Oh, and the reason there are 2 bodies is that there are 2 different headlight configurations.

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-46608100-1515175186_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-76351700-1515175199_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-18428100-1515175211_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Ged,

Sorry this is taking so long, my web guy is having to relearn the systems, and for the life of me i couldn't do it, as i simply don't understand this black art. Lord knows posting here is as good as it gets for me.

so i'm hoping the N gauge one will go live this week, and i'll post here when it is.

cheers

Dave

Stobart Rail N gauge class 92 order page now live!

Hi everyone, i'm pleased to say that the N gauge Class 92 in Stobart Rail livery order page is now live.

Please note this is strictly limited edition and i will not be making anymore other than what i have to order and a few spares for exchange etc.

Also worth noting is the cost is higher than crowdfunders 'normal' models to cater for the license payment that Stobart Rail require me to adhere too, plus the complex overlay graphics mean the factory will have more rejects than normal and this also must be catered for. The models therefore are £167.95 each

Please click on this link to order yours now!   http://djmodels.co.uk/?page_id=948

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-06579300-1515597469_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Dave, I followed the link the other night to place my order/expression of interested for one of the n gauge Stobart Class 92s. However, I’ve never received any email confirmation to say that it’s gone through ok. Is this correct? Just a little concerned that there’s maybe a glitch in the system and that it hasn’t gone through.

Thanks, Steve

Hi Steve,

No, no confirmations get sent out now, all you get is a confirmation screen saying your ‘order’ was successful when you press the button.

And ive checked, yes it was ;-)

HTH

Cheers

Dave

Hi Steve,

No, no confirmations get sent out now, all you get is a confirmation screen saying your ‘order’ was successful when you press the button.

And ive checked, yes it was ;-)

HTH

Cheers

Dave

That’s great Dave. Thanks for confirming that everything’s gone through ok.

Cheers, Steve