New N gauge Crowdfunded Class 92 electric locomotive project

DJM Dave

Try and get the N gauge one done first Dave :angel: That way we can actually see the level of detail on the smaller one and then imagine what the OO gauge one looks like... :jester:

The level of detail should be standard setting to be honest, and will stem from the benefits of having both gauges done at the same time. I'll be doing the same thing as i did with the Award winning Western and letting people comment, but i'm also hoping that it will be at such a stage that comments will be minimal.

Luckily, i have 10 years of producing award winning models for the UK RTR scene, so i know myself an my factory can and will do a fantastic model.

The level of detail should be standard setting to be honest, and will stem from the benefits of having both gauges done at the same time. I'll be doing the same thing as i did with the Award winning Western and letting people comment, but i'm also hoping that it will be at such a stage that comments will be minimal.

Luckily, i have 10 years of producing award winning models for the UK RTR scene, so i know myself an my factory can and will do a fantastic model.

I'm aware of that Dave, however I raised the point as there'll be some difference between N and OO

Eg: wall thickness, detail thickness, etc. Using the Class 52 Western as an example the N gauge one has moulded handrails on the face whereas the OO gauge one doesn't Maybe CAD's are easy to modify or maybe not.

Anyway I hope the CAD work can be see around the time of the Warley exhibition.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave,

Oh and to reply to a PM on here, the pantographs will be a pair of fine sprung models that will 'ride the wire' and not be poseable in both gauges.

But will pantographs still pose flat in the well for us 3rd-railers?  Also, ISTR there are exhibition layouts with ohl posts/gantries but without 'wire to ride', will they be viable?

Regards, Gerry.

I remove all of the springs from pantographs, because they constantly smack the posts and break the wires, posts or themselves. You cant keep a wire constantly taught enough and still have the boards break down for an exhibition layout. All it needs to do is for the loco to hit a rogue piece of ballast or mis-aligned track, the loco tips slightly and the pantograph jumps off the wire and precedes to rip the whole lot down.

A poseable one in N is much better, as you can set it just below the wires and it still looks right. The 00 you could get away with it as there is more head space for the wire to move around.

Well the best of worlds is to have a small 'chock' that you can set the pants ride height for.

The panto's will be sprung and be able to be stored flat, so being able to pose them below the arm of a mast as well, makes perfect sense.

Was it Arnold where the screw coming up underneath the pantograph from inside the body was adjustable - the further you screwed it inwards the more it restricted the ride height of the pantograph?

Useful when your own catenary uses elastic thread, but the pantograph could pick up current for those using posher stuff.

It has been a lot of years (over 25) since I had a fleet of Arnold, Fleischmann and Minitrix classes 110,111, 140 and 141 so I may be a little hazy in my memory..

Les

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

While the model is being finalized in cad/cam, i thought i'd give you all an update of sorts.

Well, orders are still flowing in with commitments in deposits paid helping move things along.

I'm busy drawing up the 'little things' for the 92 in both gauges, so that like the Class 71, the detail will simply pop, to use an Americanism.

Pipe runs, underfloor equipment, roof well equipment are high on the list at the moment.

Also it's deciding what to mold in situ and what to have as separately applied parts. I prefer the latter for definition, but it comes with the drawback of being more fragile.

Essentially in both gauges we are talking about moving the boundaries upwards again by having the parts as separate and with better definition.

Fans are another thing i'm working on too (that will make you think) as i think that the set up allows this feature to be modelled in both gauges too.

I did toy with a random panto head spark too, and still might have one that is switchable, but it has to be so small so as not to be intrusive as the panto head itself is so fine.

I've sussed out the flush glazing effect as well, so things are ticking along nicely.

I'll be announcing a couple of surprises this week that affect both scales which i'm sure you might enjoy reading about, and have 1 quite huge announcement for the N gauge model which should come in time for Warley too that i am in the final stages of negotiating.

Cheers for now

Dave

Hi everyone,

While the model is being finalized in cad/cam, i thought i'd give you all an update of sorts.

Well, orders are still flowing in with commitments in deposits paid helping move things along.

I'm busy drawing up the 'little things' for the 92 in both gauges, so that like the Class 71, the detail will simply pop, to use an Americanism.

Pipe runs, underfloor equipment, roof well equipment are high on the list at the moment.

Also it's deciding what to mold in situ and what to have as separately applied parts. I prefer the latter for definition, but it comes with the drawback of being more fragile.

Essentially in both gauges we are talking about moving the boundaries upwards again by having the parts as separate and with better definition.

Fans are another thing i'm working on too (that will make you think) as i think that the set up allows this feature to be modelled in both gauges too.

I did toy with a random panto head spark too, and still might have one that is switchable, but it has to be so small so as not to be intrusive as the panto head itself is so fine.

I've sussed out the flush glazing effect as well, so things are ticking along nicely.

I'll be announcing a couple of surprises this week that affect both scales which i'm sure you might enjoy reading about, and have 1 quite huge announcement for the N gauge model which should come in time for Warley too that i am in the final stages of negotiating.

Cheers for now

Dave

I'll be waiting...!

Hi everyone,

I am delighted to say that i have taken council and decided to add 2 more versions of the class 92 model for crowd funding and these are available to 'pre order' immediately from my web site.

These are as follows:

DJM-L-N-00001G    92029 Triple Grey EWS bodyside Logo

DJM-L-N-00001GS  92029 Triple Grey EWS bodyside Logo (DCC Sound fitted)

And, listening to customers and being one to give ideas i might think won,t work a try, a limited run (i need 50 to make it work financially)

of.

Please  note the number will be completely missing as to include it is to use another mask at a cost for just 2 digits.

DJM-L-N-00001H    92xxx  Triple Grey Unbranded / Un-numbered

DJM-L-N-00001HS  92xxx  Triple Grey Unbranded / Un-numbered (DCC Sound Fitted)

post-1144-0-25027400-1476794552_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I'm back now from my jaunts to the east....then to the west (or further to the east) if you look at the globe.  :scratchhead:

Anyway, i'm delighted to say chassis testing on both gauges of class 92 is complete and i'm hoping to further surprise people interested in both gauges just before Warley weekend.  

Cad/Cam's on both models is progressing and there is lots of detail that i feel confident will place it among the top models available RTR in both gauges.

It's worth remembering that although i do a lot of the design work here in the UK, and as a UK company doing this full time, not part time, i have access to all the engineers that have aided me to win 16 award winning model of the year awards, either as a stand alone owner or as an employee of my last company.

With this experience, you can guarantee that all my knowledge and ability is going into both models to set new standards in RTR OO and N gauge locomotives.

Anyway, back to the 92. The detail going into this model is exemplary, and will rank with some of the North American models in terms of etches, detail, replacement / alternate parts, running, features and livery application.

I have been asked a lot of questions on the projects while i've been away and will spend some of tomorrow collating and answering these questions, putting it as a Q & A on my website and on here tomorrow in both N and OO gauge sections.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It was more the bit about diamthermy gauge of class 92 that bamboozled me.

I shall check here for drawings, but agree timing is peculiar and likely to be overshadowed by other simultaneous events at Warley.

It was more the bit about diamthermy gauge of class 92 that bamboozled me.

I shall check here for drawings, but agree timing is peculiar and likely to be overshadowed by other simultaneous events at Warley.

Yep, agree. My understanding was that diathermy was an electric current treatment for arthritis.

G.

He's going to post the drawings up on RMweb, but why wait until Saturday is odd as a great many modellers will be at Warley.

HTH

G.

Maybe a 3 for 1 offer - 00 gauge Class 92, N gauge Class 92, and the N scale cars.

Or maybe to prompt people to check out what is going on at Warley with other people's happening projects, and new announcements.

As you are all probably aware, I launched 2 crowdfunding initiatives recently for the Class 92 electric locomotive.

This has been very successful and both are proceeding apace.

Deposits have been taken for those that have registered an interest and cad/cam design is at an advanced stage for both locomotives.

However, what hasn’t been shown before is the crowdfunded price and cad/cams in both gauges.

So today I am delighted to announce the RRP for when the model eventually goes to the retail market, and the Crowdfunded prices and bonuses for those wanting more than 1 locomotive

I am also showing for the first time, the N gauge models cad/cam’s in 3 parts, to show the detail going into the N gauge class 92 that will make it a market leading N gauge locomotive for the gauge.

With a lot of assistance from Brush Traction, GBRF and Caledonian Railways, I have had unfettered access to the locomotives enabling measurements to be double checked against published and in house drawings, and over 1000 high resolution close up photographs of every part of the real thing, enabling the design to come to fruition ready for tooling with very few alterations needed to make the loco ‘just right’.

The cad/cam designs attached aren’t the finished article and those with sharp eyes will readily spot the areas that need adjustment. These are expected to take another 7-14 days.

As you can see from the N gauge cad design here, the roof (apart from being wrong in a few places) has lots of shiny sections on various assemblies. These are in fact added etched steel grilles and detail parts. Some of you might also see the fan in its bell housing below 1 particular grille. This shows you the level of detail going into the N gauge version and you can probably imagine how the OO version will end up like.

It is worth noting that every different colour you see is a different component and this model will have lots more colour on future iterations.

These are models for the modeller.

Now to the prices……

The benefits of Crowdfunding are sometimes ‘blurry’ and you don’t really get to see any benefit to waiting for the model to come to fruition and paying up front. Well, I agree. And as such, in keeping with the American system of doing this process, I am offering a fair bonus for those that want to buy more than 1 and a very fair price for a single model……and there are no limits to the amount of models you can order.

The N gauge Class 92 will have, when it eventually gets released to the trade, an RRP of £139.95 per model

The Crowd Funded N gauge Class 92 will cost, for the first model ordered £115.00!

Any subsequent models ordered after the first one will cost £105.00 each! (YES £105.00 each)

Sound Versions will be an extra £90.00 for each model ordered.

These prices do not include postage, which will be at cost worldwide, and be added to the final invoice. You can order as many at £105.00 as you wish, and if you want to order multiple models in the same livery, please mail me directly info@djmodels.co.uk  and I’ll invoice for the total deposit payable.

Crowdfunding will stay open until January 31st as that is when I expect to be into the tooling phase of the model. And if all goes well show EP samples around April taking into account Chinese New Year delays and restarts etc.

The OO version will, despite the N gauge version being pretty good already, have more finesse within the details, and be along at around the same time, give or take a few weeks. (subject to factory slots etc).

I’ll publish cad/cams of this as and when I get them.

The OO gauge Class 92 will have, when it eventually gets released to the trade, an RRP of £159.95 per model

The Crowd Funded Class 92 will cost for the first model ordered £134.95

Any subsequent models ordered after the first one will cost £124.95 each!

Sound Versions will be an extra £95.00 for each model ordered.

These prices do not include postage, which will be at cost worldwide, and be added to the final invoice. You can order as many at £119.95 as you wish, and if you want to order multiple models in the same livery, please mail me directly info@djmodels.co.uk  and I’ll invoice for the total deposit payable.

Crowdfunding will stay open until January 31st as that is when I expect to be into the tooling phase of the model. And if all goes well show EP samples around April taking into account Chinese New Year delays and restarts etc.

There is more great news to announce on both of these projects and I will do so as and when contracts are signed and sealed.

Please visit my website www.djmodels.co.uk or any of the online forums and the press for releases when I have them to publish.

post-1144-0-95979100-1480162840_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-06941300-1480162858_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-97338000-1480162863_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Any update now? Surely it's been more than both 7 and 14 days... :jester:

I've got a completed cad/cam date to come through to me of December 19th, so if that comes to pass I shall post pics here for all to see.

Cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

As close to the promised update as possible, i publish the latest DJM Crowdfunded N gauge Class 92 cad/cams

Sorry for the 2 day delay but i've been out at meetings etc this last couple of days and been reviewing the cad/cams at night when home.

Issues have been corrected and i only have a couple of minor ones left that will probably get done this next week or so.

I'm not happy about the bogies and want the sort of detail on the N and OO version that sets the 71 in OO apart. The detail must give a definition or 'weight' to the look of the loco and that's what my revisions will show. No transponder on these you'll note as i will have them printed in the correct positions on the bodyside for the relevant loco.

I have also shown for the first time a proper look down to the detail in the roof well, and yes that's N gauge, and the roof well has been designed to allow the roof components to be correctly modeled in shape, size, relief etc and get painted 'off model' before final assembly. If you want the detail and the correct details, its the only way to do this. Setting new standards for UK outline RTR N gauge i believe!

You might also note the shoulder 'valances' are a different colour. That's because they are a separate moulding and correctly feature gaps you will see daylight through as per the prototype., and this allows the 'legs' that support the valance to also be moulded....plus it's another part that will allow painting of the roof well properly.

The 2 versions of front end lighting are also featured and the revised MK5 coach Caledonian coupler height will be done once the height and works drawing comes available, and my sources tell me that may be a while yet so there is time to tool the model in the next few weeks.

Oh, and lastly look at the services pipes along the bottom of the body :-)

Anyway, N'joy the cad's and please feel free to ask any questions or point out any errors you may thing affect the model adversely.

Seasons greetings to you all.

Cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-47603100-1482408239_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-17815500-1482408246_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-00989300-1482408269_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-11940400-1482408275_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-74205600-1482408280_thumb.jpg

• Like 3