New N gauge Crowdfunded Class 92 electric locomotive project

DJM Dave

Thanks for that Dave I've put my order in again this time for the sound versions and the one pack of cars that I originally wanted.

Hi everyone,

I have a mini update here for you, and i shall be putting an updated graph on here later to show you how things are getting along.

If your still undecided please make an expression of interest. You can still cancel later when things start rolling.

If you know someone who doesnt have ready internet access but is possibly interested, tell them. Numbers mean everything in this, but if all goes to plan i'm hoping we will have something tangible on or before Warley this year in both gauges.

If you have already 'expressed' i thank you.

As for the mini update.....well.....

I've decided that for even greater traction the 92 will be fitted with traction tyres on 1 axle........ yes you read correctly, traction tyres. Now before i get inundated with complaints about why i shouldn't, let me tell you why i should, and throw something 'out there'. OK the 92 will be quite heavy, i'd like it to pull more. Now we all know you cannot get a quart into a pint pot, and there comes a time when you cant put any more weight within the model without choosing to lose features.

I could lose the sound speaker space for instance but that's just silly, so i'm going to fit a pair of traction tyres on 1 axle only. Roco and Fleischmann have been being it for years without problems.

But, i also know the arguments about dirt, 2mm conversion and just not wanting them...so.........the packaging will have an extra wheel set in it, for you to simply pop off the bogie moulding, unclip the offending article and replace with the non grooved non traction tyre wheel set.  Either way it all a simple solution that should please everyone.

I have some more news on the project, but as it's not finalized yet i cant go live, but maybe by the end of nest week i'll be able to.

I'll leave you with 2 pictures, 1 taken at the back of Brush during construction and the other showing you that you can with these loco's have a short train behind it if you prefer. :locomotive:

To place an 'expression of interest' please click this link......  http://djmodels.co.uk/?page_id=47

Cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-76806200-1473592835_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-94585800-1473592842_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Just a thought on the traction tyres,

Some of the Continental manufacturers fit ONE tyred wheel on the innermost axle of BOTH bogies, with the tyres on opposite sides of the loco (the same side of each bogie which are fitted identically but face oppositely.)

Advantages are that the two bogies are fitted up identically, less room for errors in the factory, and that the loco seems to have fewer stuttering issues than if both tyres are on the same axle.

The disadvantage would be that you needed to supply two untyred spare wheelsets, though you might cater for those who want all untyred wheels more cheaply with a freepost address to write in for a set as I suspect the majority wouldn't bother with them.

All the very best

Les

Hi everyone,

Now the advertising campaign has started, more 'expressions' are coming in.

so here is an updated graph of whats going and whats not.

Again no figures as others might be watching.

cheers

Dave

Hi everyone,

I've been collating figures and numbers today for this project and have put them down in a chart which  will update every week.

To keep figures secret from prying eyes, I've made each block count for x amount of items 'expressed' but it gives you all an idea of the split between models people require. I found it very interesting looking at that. (oh and the OO and N are different figures so their chart looks different.

Anyway, for now, enjoy speculating and don't forget to 'express an interest' soon.

Follow this link to 'express' yourself......  http://djmodels.co.uk/?page_id=47

Cheers

Dave

Each block represents 5-10 votes?

Each block represents 5-10 votes?

Hi Gang,

Well, as a minimum...each block must represent 1 vote or a multiple thereof.....so extrapolating the data, there must be 'expressions' for 47....or 94...or 141.....and so on.

I sincerely hope that those who wish a 92 ( and I would like another to add to the one I already own) achieve their ultimate aim of getting one before their remaining number of heartbeats run out. With other manufacturers promising locos (40/50/59/68), coaches (DBSO/Mk3 buffets) etc......I feel that cost and timescales are spiralling out of control (perhaps a tad strong).....I would hate to wait another 5 years for a loco that should have been done ages ago.

I fear that if this crowdfunding project fails, for whatever reason, the desire by another manufacturer to produce one may be further postponed........ultimately, a 92 will come but when and by whom???

If you are wondering, I won't be ordering from DJM and providing money up front....for my own reasons.

Later,

Stu from EGDL

Edited by Stu from EGDL

Hi everyone,

Now the advertising campaign has started, more 'expressions' are coming in.

so here is an updated graph of whats going and whats not.

Again no figures as others might be watching.

cheers

Dave

Dave

Can we please see the corosponding graph in the OO Class92 Topic

John

Edited by John ks

Hi,

please put in another order, and i'll try and delete your one from the system in the meantime.

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

I put in a new order back on 9th September for sound fitted EWS and sound fitted SNCF, but I still haven't had email confirmation. Can you confirm the order went through okay?

Thanks again,

Harry

Hi Dave,

I put in a new order back on 9th September for sound fitted EWS and sound fitted SNCF, but I still haven't had email confirmation. Can you confirm the order went through okay?

Thanks again,

Harry

Hi Harry,

Yes it did, and i've reserved you the 2 models.

cheers

Dave

EXCITING NEW NEWS!

Today i have been granted permission to use the new Caledonian livery of Teal Blue with the white side stag emblem for the N gauge and OO gauge class 92.

This model will now this evening be added to the 'expressions of interest' / reservation page for you to reserve your model

Each model will come with a limited edition certificate signed by both myself and David Simpson, Production Director of Caledonian Railways.

and feature a purpose designed sleeve in N and Box in OO gauge designed in collaboration with Caledonian.

However that's not all. Due to changes in design of the real thing i will be following this with each model of the class 92, and as such the Caledonian 92's will have the raised couplers, a 3rd variation of the lower front valance and alternate lighting arrangements, amongst other changes that will be announced as the project gathers further pace.

The N gauge version will now have switchable cab lighting and corridor lighting along side its OO brother.

As both expressions of interest have proved totally successful I am delighted to announce that work has now gone on to such an extent that the cad/cam for this loco is due around Warley time, with metal cutting soon thereafter on both gauges with a view to fast tracking the models for period 3 of next year.

With this in mind I will start invoicing those who expressed an interest within 24 hours, for the initial deposit of £30.00 per locomotive.

Thank you to all those that have had faith in me, and have joined me on the worlds second fully crowdfunded British RTR model locomotive in both N and OO gauges.

post-1144-0-24712700-1475076158_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-56039800-1475076467_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

EXCITING NEW NEWS!

Today i have been granted permission to use the new Caledonian livery of Teal Blue with the white side stag emblem for the N gauge and OO gauge class 92.

This model will now this evening be added to the 'expressions of interest' / reservation page for you to reserve your model

Each model will come with a limited edition certificate signed by both myself and David Simpson, Production Director of Caledonian Railways.

and feature a purpose designed sleeve in N and Box in OO gauge designed in collaboration with Caledonian.

However that's not all. Due to changes in design of the real thing i will be following this with each model of the class 92, and as such the Caledonian 92's will have the raised couplers, a 3rd variation of the lower front valance and alternate lighting arrangements, amongst other changes that will be announced as the project gathers further pace.

The N gauge version will now have switchable cab lighting and corridor lighting along side its OO brother.

As both expressions of interest have proved totally successful I am delighted to announce that work has now gone on to such an extent that the cad/cam for this loco is due around Warley time, with metal cutting soon thereafter on both gauges with a view to fast tracking the models for period 3 of next year.

With this in mind I will start invoicing those who expressed an interest within 24 hours, for the initial deposit of £30.00 per locomotive.

Thank you to all those that have had faith in me, and have joined me on the worlds second fully crowdfunded British RTR model locomotive in both N and OO gauges.

Hi Dave,

I'm absolutely taken aback by the news, this is exactly what I've been wanting. I've personally not expressed my interest as this was done for me by a relative who has decided to gift one to me. Can the expression of interest be changed? I think from EWS to Caledonian or something?

Glad to know the expressions of interest have been totally successful.

Just a thought--wouldn't 92s have looked great in BR Rail Blue? (takes cover rapidly)

100% agree....

Hi Dave,

I'm absolutely taken aback by the news, this is exactly what I've been wanting. I've personally not expressed my interest as this was done for me by a relative who has decided to gift one to me. Can the expression of interest be changed? I think from EWS to Caledonian or something?

Glad to know the expressions of interest have been totally successful.

100% agree....

Hi,

When i start sending out the invoices, just make sure that the payment has the note box filled in with your change of choice, and i'll sort if for you.

cheers

Dave

Hi,

When i start sending out the invoices, just make sure that the payment has the note box filled in with your change of choice, and i'll sort if for you.

cheers

Dave

Thank you Dave, I shall tell my uncle of mine about the change.

PS: Should I still express my interest in a Caledonian model?

Well, I have had a change of mind and put myself down for a GBRf Europorte version, DCC fitted. 

This may have been asked before, so forgive me if it has:

What decoder is fitted in the DCC-fitted versions, please, Dave?

EDIT: Ooops!! That should have been posted in the OO model's topic. Please ignore this post and I'll repost it in the correct section.  :sorry:  :fool_mini:

Edited by SRman