RMweb

Abbotswood junction - Original layout - thread now closed please see Abbotswood and Norton Junctions

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

And here we are at the 85A open day - thanks to Mike Smith for the photos

Heres Peter Brown helping on the layout - looks like ECoS is taxing me once again....

attachicon.gifMike Smith 85A Reunion 2013 011 resized.jpg

And an old school chum Andy Lock

attachicon.gifMike Smith 85A Reunion 2013 029 resized.jpg

Prior to recent Toddington open day hadn't seen Andy for many a year.

The 85A open day is essentially about railway people - we are very much made to feel part of that, which is rather nice even if its on an honorary basis!

Phil

Note to self - must paint walls under far side of road overbridge matt black, camera flash is cruel!

What are the dimensions of your layout please Phil? Also would be interesting to see a track plan and behind the scenery, always interesting to see how different folk build everthing.

Keep the piccies coming.

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

Hi Kevin

Layout is 12 x 9 - six 4 x 4 boards (Less centre operating well) plus 2 additional 6 x 1 scenic boards on the front.

Need to draw a decent track plan - will post once done

Phil

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Phil

What an absolutely fantastic layout, how I've missed this before I don't know. I've just been looking through the videos and its the sort of layout you could sit and watch all day. Can't beat watching prototype length trains rolling through the landscape especially with the added bonus of sound. I'm familiar with the area as well as I was a driver at Worcester for a short while in 1999.

Earlier in the thread you mention "stage 2". Are you planning on extending? Would look good with trains rolling in off the Worcester branch I must admit.

A very impressive layout which I will definately now be following with interest.

Marcus.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Marcus

That's very kind thanks v much

An 85A man? Do you get to the reunions? Mostly the steam age boys but a great crowd - see http://www.miac.org.uk/reunion2013.html. What part of the world are you now?

Phase 2 will encompass Norton Junction - the northern boundary will be the M5 overbridge so significant compression - but the general topography will be right. Need to get a track plan on here when I master the software. Operational variety and flexibility will expand rapidly too

Cheers

Phil

• Like 2

Hi Marcus

That's very kind thanks v much

An 85A man? Do you get to the reunions? Mostly the steam age boys but a great crowd - see http://www.miac.org.uk/reunion2013.html. What part of the world are you now?

Phase 2 will encompass Norton Junction - the northern boundary will be the M5 overbridge so significant compression - but the general topography will be right. Need to get a track plan on here when I master the software. Operational variety and flexibility will expand rapidly too

Cheers

Phil

That sounds superb, so the Cotswold line will be incorporated as well. Will really look forward to seeing that develop.

I am currently employed with GBRf in the West Midlands, so not to far away and I live not to far away from Junction 3 of the M5.

So the sounds of those Class 20's whistling away on your layout are a daily occurrence for me at the moment.

Marcus

• Like 1

Hi Phil

Just had a look at the 85a link. There are a few of the current Worcester drivers on there are know. It was a good depot whilst I was there work wise. Unfortunately with the franchise rehash a few years back they lost a lot of their nice work such as Cardiff and Nottingham. Still a bunch of good blokes though.

Marcus

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well we need somewhere to run all those Bacchy 43s that will be out soon

Phase 1 has been built with phase 2 in mind and enabling works are currently in hand - when all the signals work on the current layout phase 2 here we come

Have this in mind for the overbridge at Norton

http://www.thebradnorbranchline.co.uk/Roadover3.html

Heres the prototype

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1930187 although the parapet has been replaced with concrete! :O

Some nice LQ signals to do too.....

Cheers

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Those excellent gentlemen at Narrow Planet have done some super etched signalbox name boards for Abbotswood to replace the current printed ones

post-7138-0-50021300-1386184586.jpg

No connection other than one very happy customer!

Will post some more when painted and attached to signalbox

Cheers

Phil

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Phil

Just had a look at the 85a link. There are a few of the current Worcester drivers on there are know. It was a good depot whilst I was there work wise. Unfortunately with the franchise rehash a few years back they lost a lot of their nice work such as Cardiff and Nottingham. Still a bunch of good blokes though.

Marcus

Apols Marcus - missed this post till now

As you say - a great bunch of blokes. And there are probably more long distance trains form Worcester to south coast locations than ever before. Going north is a different kettle of fish however. Not sure how far the Worcester men go however

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

A few folks have asked to see a track plan

Having played with several packages have settled on Anyrail - heres the result

post-7138-0-72726500-1387838307.jpg

Its still pretty rough and ready but you'll get the drift

12 x 10 ft

Phase 2 to follow!

Cheers

Phil

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ralph

Phase 2 will reveal all - now I have got to grips with software!

That link - plus the apparently disjointed high level track - will meet at Norton junction and form part of a separate high level loop representing the OWW - Worcester to Oford line.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

So projects for the Xmas period -

Now that the ham is baked, the Florentines cooked and the food & drink cupboards stocked...

1. Phase 1 layout plan - done!

1a Add phase 2 to plan

1b Use 1 above to plan routes to programme new ECoS when it arrives Jan week 3

2. Finish shoe horning sound project in to D5901

2a Post videos of the same on here

3. Dependant on what Santa brings: Fit sound chip to D6992 and/or D1067

3a Post photos/videos on here

4. Dependant on what Santa brings: Renumber and name D1677 to D1669

4a Post photos/videos on here

5. Complete working signals on current board (2 more arms to do)

6. Install point rodding

7. Replace damaged point in fiddle yard

All the right jobs - but not necessarily in the right order! If I get that lot done will be nowt short of a miracle

Phil

• RMweb Gold

So here's task 1a completed

Phase 2 added! For clarity phase 1 is all datum height 0 - other datum heights relate to this.

post-7138-0-51935700-1388170680_thumb.jpg

Hope that makes sense!

Tasks 3 / 3a on hold until sound chips are ordered

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 9