Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Abbotswood junction - Original layout - thread now closed please see Abbotswood and Norton Junctions

Phil Bullock

I think I'm becoming prone to taking wrong turnings, as instead of anticipating the 50th Redditch show I appear to be in North Yorkshire!

Seriously Phil, enjoy the show, a very special one, and I hope lots of photos will follow. It'll make a nice change to be in a warm school building instead of a draughty loco shed! (It was a hot day mind, at GWSR).

Any chance of a small piece of SWMBO's millionaire shortbread afterwards? ;) ;)

Hope all goes well Phil. I've also been out in the garage doing a couple of jobs and loading Readham onto the racking for its journey to Devon tomorrow for the Culm Valley Model Railway Exhibition on Saturday. Might see you at Go Transport when picking up my Luton van

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hope all goes well Phil. I've also been out in the garage doing a couple of jobs and loading Readham onto the racking for its journey to Devon tomorrow for the Culm Valley Model Railway Exhibition on Saturday. Might see you at Go Transport when picking up my Luton van

Cheers Steve

But think you got there before me - no Luton available for us, so back to loading by hand!

Hope all goes well in Glorious Devon

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think I'm becoming prone to taking wrong turnings, as instead of anticipating the 50th Redditch show I appear to be in North Yorkshire!

Seriously Phil, enjoy the show, a very special one, and I hope lots of photos will follow. It'll make a nice change to be in a warm school building instead of a draughty loco shed! (It was a hot day mind, at GWSR).

Any chance of a small piece of SWMBO's millionaire shortbread afterwards? ;) ;)

Sorry you cant make this one Liam - but there will plenty more.

Have let SWMBO off baking for this show....it was her birthday this week, a trip to Dublin followed so neither of us has had much time...

Now get back to those studies! Hee hee

Phil

I am definitely going to the show, cant wait. :)

Alex

Come and say hello Alex!

Phil

All being well should get in the last couple of hours due to early shift in central Brum, it will be good to see progress and even better to be just a visitor!

Robert  

Was that you on the door at TINGS last weekend Robert?

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Hi ,

Yes I was the "welcome host" at TINGS and roving steward , DEMU stand on Sunday, all good fun and no hassles.

- hopefully like the layout this weekend

Robert  

Twas a good show too! No reason to suspect layout wont behave, sufficiently mature to know the foibles. Running with a circuit breaker between ECoS and the layout this time too, hopefully the automatic reset on that will result in less down time due to derailment induced shorts.

Sorry I can't be there Phil, I'm driving daughter 2 to her University.

Neil

No worries Neil you know you are always welcome whenever things work for you! What is she reading? The balance between professional, domestic, piscatorial and modelling activities is a fine line too. D6 still here - OK if she has another run out?

Thanks all

Phil

Cheers Steve

But think you got there before me - no Luton available for us, so back to loading by hand!

Hope all goes well in Glorious Devon

Phil

Sorry about that Phil I need the tail lift now as I've modified the racking, put it on heavy duty casters and all 8 boards and the support trusses fit on 2 mobile racks - much quicker and less risk of damage. Looking forward to this exhibition as my nephew is a member of the club that runs it and it's also the club that 'serves' my home town.

You and James will have to be part of 'Team Readham' at some of my future booked exhibitions

Guest Midland Mole

It was fantastic to see the layout up close today, really impressive. :)

I apologise for not introducing myself, but when the opportunity arose my lifelong shyness got the better of me. It always seems to rear it's ugly head at the worst times.

Still, hopefully I will get to see it again one day at another show.

Alex

It was fantastic to see the layout up close today, really impressive. :)

I apologise for not introducing myself, but when the opportunity arose my lifelong shyness got the better of me. It always seems to rear it's ugly head at the worst times.

Still, hopefully I will get to see it again one day at another show.

Alex

Abbotswood Junction is one of those amazing layouts that makes you feel you're actually on the lineside, notebook (and sausage roll, crisps and lemonade) handy and watching the never-ending display of diesels pass by. Even when there aren't any diesels, the skylarks always sing!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the kind comments gentlemen

Shame you couldn't engage Alex but fully understand - I know how that feels myself although have overcome a good few years ago. Another time perhaps?

It was a great show - very friendly, with a steady flow of visitors allowing us to engage whilst running a hopefully entertaining service.

Had Pierre, Taigatrommel and D9502 on Saturday crew, with Dagworth taking over from D9502 on Sunday. Thank you gentlemen - the running gets better each show, that's a huge complement to the operators for sure. All I seemed to do was fettle signals.....to mixed effect.

Issuing the tickets and gripping them went down well with the younger visitors too

Thanks also to the Redditch club for the invite - good friends who always make us welcome.

So all back home - although the stock boxes are still stacked in the hall, must get those out of the way this evening

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So jobs to do before Swansea....

Signal repairs - again!

And then ....how close to ready can I get the next batch of Warships?

Then theres that Wickham trolley sitting on the workbench glaring back at me, just daring me to try....

Hee hee

Swansea crew is Peter and Digby, many thanks gentlemen - but if anyone more local would like to come and have a driving session drop me a PM and we will see what we can do, the ECoS set up is very intuitive...

Cheers

Phil

Signal repairs - again!

Then theres that Wickham trolley sitting on the workbench glaring back at me, just daring me to try....

Hee hee

Swansea crew is Peter and Digby, many thanks gentlemen - but if anyone more local would like to come and have a driving session drop me a PM and we will see what we can do, the ECoS set up is very intuitive...

Cheers

Phil

I might take you up on that Phil. If I can get a pass out from Blowers Green.

Paul J.

• Like 1

Signal repairs - again!

Hee hee

Cheers

Phil

Agree about ECoS! After GWSR I was very tempted to go that way myself but the price was a little off putting . . .

It must feel a little odd bumbling along in a Wickham trolley on a main line such as the Birmingham to Bristol line. I went in one a few years ago from Bewdley to Foley Park tunnel during the winter maintenance season on the SVR. Quite fun, but a bit of a squeeze with 8 in the back seating section!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Twas a good show too! No reason to suspect layout wont behave, sufficiently mature to know the foibles. Running with a circuit breaker between ECoS and the layout this time too, hopefully the automatic reset on that will result in less down time due to derailment induced shorts.

No worries Neil you know you are always welcome whenever things work for you! What is she reading? The balance between professional, domestic, piscatorial and modelling activities is a fine line too. D6 still here - OK if she has another run out?

Thanks all

Phil

Missed this Phil, she's at Bournemouth studying Sociology, bit of a drive from Bristol.

I would be very happy to see pics of D6 "in service".

Again can't make another Abbotswood outing due to a US trip for work, hopefully the next one or first with Abbotswood 2.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

The vigilant on this forum (No not D861!) noticed something missing from our August videos - 1547 arrived in the up loop on coke hoppers but failed to depart! Just disappeared in to thin air...

Well, she has now been found!

https://youtu.be/Wq6eneAHqxc

Along with a little extra....

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Final preparations for trip to Swansea tonight

Signals repaired - again - hee hee

Went to CMC lunch time for sundries - track rubbers, superglue and accelerator, 2mm brass nuts

And there are lovely baking smells coming from the kitchen........

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Who - me????

Sorry we didn't have any at Redditch Mike but If we don't take some comestibles with us to The Gower they will make us eat laverbread!

Are you over for Warley perchance?

Phil