Abbotswood junction - Original layout - thread now closed please see Abbotswood and Norton Junctions

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Don't start that again!!

Have a great weekend, will be awaiting pics/video from afar.

Mike.

Sure we will have a few pictures Mike - the layout juxtaposed with the real thing is always an attractive proposition!

As for videos - weekend of 12th/13th August will be garden set up weekend with filming on the Sunday so some serious filming to follow - the last time on Abbotswood Mk1.

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hoping to pop by and say "hello" on Saturday, it looks like my "bashing plan" has a couple of breaks included.

That's always the balance at these do's isn't it Chris? Am sure we will get out for a bash at some stage too....

Please introduce yourself when you drop by - you too Adrian - I am useless with faces!

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Very much looking forward to it Phil.

Depending on what I'm doing, they're might also be a 'hybrid' Warship making its debut this weekend. I'll also be bringing a few more goodies, though mainly consumable ones!

Very much looking forward to it Phil.

Depending on what I'm doing, they're might also be a 'hybrid' Warship making its debut this weekend. I'll also be bringing a few more goodies, though mainly consumable ones!

Excellent plan Liam. Teri has promised to bake some of her famous Millionaires Shortbread too but you will need to get there before the vultures from the Worcester Locomotive Society!

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Sure we will have a few pictures Mike - the layout juxtaposed with the real thing is always an attractive proposition!

As for videos - weekend of 12th/13th August will be garden set up weekend with filming on the Sunday so some serious filming to follow - the last time on Abbotswood Mk1.

Phil

I shall be in your country that weekend, it's now quite a battle between a family wedding and Abbotswood combined with millionaires shortbread, although as far as I'm concerned it's no contest!

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So Downs was interesting - particularly from the people side.....met up with Phil Tandy, one of the family running the tinplate Templeford layout, haven't seen him since 1974 when school finished....

Also the sister of another acquaintance/colleague, Alistair Munro - who is also connected to Brian R of this parish. The world gets smaller as we get older.....Alistair's sister and partner were there with the Warley MRC junior section layout.

Next event is another favourite....GWSR diesel gala at the end of July, a chance to play amongst the big boys....

Note to self - get some soft soled shoes, that concrete floor in the engine shed is lethal!

Have modified signature to include this event plus others for this year, see below

And will soon be starting a new thread when we start the rebuild....

Phil

Shoes are not the answer. Take a piece of carpet or mat to stand on.

Depending on what I'm doing, they're might also be a 'hybrid' Warship making its debut this weekend.

What ? - you mean you're going to put a scale Maybach or MAN in one to supplement the electric motor :)

I'll get me coat

What ? - you mean you're going to put a scale Maybach or MAN in one to supplement the electric motor :)

I'll get me coat

No, no, no! Simply a Mainline body on a Hornby chassis. Or is it the other way round? ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Toddington weekend coming up!

Heljan D1013 replaced by Dapol version.....and theres bound to be a few Class 43s scuttling around. Some guest power also likely to appear including Downendian's Class 44 D6 - or is that 6???

Phil

D6 will be there! Looking forward to it Phil.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

D6 will be there! Looking forward to it Phil.

Neil

And will be great to see you Neil

Meanwhile ... tonight theres a great line up outside the shed....

post-7138-0-01785900-1501190468_thumb.jpg

And what do you mean the wheels are too far apart....????

post-7138-0-32517500-1501190503_thumb.jpg

A great weekend in prospect

Phil

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jon

I hope the brakes on that 37 are on properly!

At the moment I'm detailing (or perhaps making a mess of) two Bachy 37's, so the buffer beam view is quite useful with it being so clean.

Best wishes for your weekend.

John.

Happy to get more if needed John

How far are you going with the pipework?

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Was a good day yesterday - heres the crew, Mr TV and SVRlad

post-7138-0-66481200-1501308609_thumb.jpg

Someone kindly parked this classic combo outside

post-7138-0-00476300-1501308583_thumb.jpg

A bit of snagging to do throughout day but generally all ran well

Footfall low but interest high - lots of families with kids who really enjoyed having a drive

Cheers

Phil

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Was a good day yesterday - heres the crew, Mr TV and SVRlad

attachicon.gifDSC_0624.JPG

Someone kindly parked this classic combo outside

attachicon.gifDSC_0623.JPG

A bit of snagging to do throughout day but generally all ran well

Footfall low but interest high - lots of families with kids who really enjoyed having a drive

Cheers

Phil

That's all well and good, but what about the important stuff, like, how was the millionaires shortbread?

Mike.

Hi Jon

Happy to get more if needed John

How far are you going with the pipework?

Phil

Thanks Phil, but I think I'm fine for gen now.

I'm tempted to answer your question by "round the bend", but seriously I think vac., steam, mu, two bits of wire each side under the buffer for air hoses, and maybe a horizontal blackened effort directly under the buffer beam for effect. I'm using version 2 of the Bachmann product, which involves sawing off the buffers and lifting by 1.5 - 2 mm, enabling the overlong buffer skirts to be trimmed. The Bachy buffers don't look much like Oleos as fitted to 37's anyway. The two I have with central headcode boxes won't be getting the saw to correct the defect as I can live with them being a bit high.

The decision to stick with version 2 (D6707, D6826 and 37038) is based on the fact they were bought new for a lot less than they would be now, plus it seems other errors have crept in with later variants, such as cantrail gouges and too thick nose mouldings.

That's modellers for you, always ready to whinge!

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

• RMweb Gold

So Saturday was a bit busier

All was well except in the S&T department where 3 damaged signals meant I didn't install the signalling....that's a shame but still had very many favourable comments

On the operational side Zambesi made her debut, and that is D862 in the bridge which is to follow.....

post-7138-0-77854300-1501395142_thumb.jpg

as did Superb and Downendian's brilliant D6 - am sure photos will appear of that later.

The Hattons warwells and Oxford carflats both ran impeccably, must load the car flats today with the Mk1 transits

Crew were Downendian, Tarifa, Pierre le Brun and SVR lad who presented me with a bottle of beer from his school - Ampleforth Abbey - much appreciated, thanks Liam! So as we have strayed in to the comestibles zone, and a teaser for Mr Enterprising Western ...

post-7138-0-11847400-1501395075_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-46492100-1501395109_thumb.jpg

SWMBO's famous millionaires shortbread! Note the generous ratio of caramel and chocolate to biscuit, which is always a beautifully short biscuit. Mmmmm....there was nearly a riot when I opened the cake tin yesterday.

And finally the next outing for the layout is in the garden in two weeks time - given the inundation on a previous garden day Pierre is already taking precautions...

post-7138-0-23001300-1501395175_thumb.jpg

Back to it today!

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Lovely day out Yesterday helping with Abbotswood, and what a venue with the occasional waft of burnt diesel and the roar of first generation diesels in the background. I'll post some photos later, but first I have the small issue of a book to finish.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

Thank you ever so much Phil and the rest of the crew for making me feel very welcome and for operating a lot of the time (and a special thank you for the brake van). Hope you enjoy your beer!

If there was a mileage tracker in my Toad then it would be a lot higher now after all those circuits behind that 37!

All the best,

Liam

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well here's some photos - I took loads and a bit disappointed with the results with my new camera- depth of field the main issue.

Will need to experiment more, and use a smaller aperture setting next time.

post-6925-0-94424100-1501442352_thumb.jpg

post-6925-0-81220300-1501442377_thumb.jpg

post-6925-0-11426900-1501442400_thumb.jpg

post-6925-0-81565500-1501442421_thumb.jpg

post-6925-0-66607400-1501442442_thumb.jpg

post-6925-0-65027000-1501442463_thumb.jpg

post-6925-0-00193100-1501442481_thumb.jpg

• Like 12