gismorail

Thanks Kevin for your kind words.... praise indeed from the master of scenic modelling. The trees will be the main challenge and in my mind will made or break the whole scenic success of Chumley End. 

Kevin is the inspiration for fine scale Tree modelling Martin, I keep looking at his Trees on LM and think to myself, Naaaa I'll just do Depot.

I'm sure you will do a splendid job of them, after all you have LOADS of the real thing on your doorstep.

I've been looking at Kevin's cake box challenges. You need some sage brush to try to match his trees. They're fantastic! Trevor

Your spot on with 'fantastic' Trevor although as I have to some how match that level of modelling I would use the word 'daunting '  :scared:  :scared: but the challenges is there and I will be sourcing some sage brush on my American trip later this year. 

• Like 1

Further progress today with the completion of the  back scene. It's a fairly raw scene at present but I thought it would be of interest to show what there is to work with prior any scenery being added. 

post-5136-0-01659700-1521412265.jpg

post-5136-0-68690700-1521412341.jpg

post-5136-0-65929400-1521413855.jpg

post-5136-0-72871100-1521412392.jpg

A major drawback for using 'ready to stick' back scenes is the fact that one is restricted with the content within the scene set out by the manufacturer. This particular set contents three rolls and I have needed five to complete the whole length of the back scene on Chumley End which means that part of the set has had to be repeated at the opposite end of the layout. More by luck rather than planning the mill building is hiding part of the repeated scene so I have got away with a major problem. It would appear that the end of the scene can be run into the beginning of the set if that makes sense but unfortunately there is a colour / exposure difference which does slightly spoil the effect but I am not to worried as I'm fairly confident that once scenic details have been added it will not spoil the final scene. 

• Like 10

Its a good start, Martin. The only real problem I can see is a slight nick in the skyline in picture 3 near the water tower, which I'm sure you'll easily sort out. Otherwise it looks really good. Your curved ends to the support really help to make it. Trevor

Edited by shedman

Your quite correct Trevor I'm afraid that when I was positioning the scene I had to use masking tape to line up each length of back scene and it was a bit too sticky which damaged a small corner but I'm going to touch it up which a bit of paint which should hide the damage . It has happened on the join where the exposure is slightly different so it will be well hidden by scenery / tree's all being well. Your spot on about the curved corners it really does make a massive difference and allows the scene to flow around the corner which distracts the eye away from the change of direction and gives a much deeper field of vision. There is a lot of work involved in making the back scene this way and it has to be planned in the initial construction but it really does make the complete scenic impression. 

• Like 1

Thanks Andy your right it looks a lot bigger than it really is now the back scene has been added. I have realised over the weekend why Kevin is so much into his photography I think I need to update my camera to get the best out of model photography  :stinker:

• Like 1

Thanks Andy your right it looks a lot bigger than it really is now the back scene has been added. I have realised over the weekend why Kevin is so much into his photography I think I need to update my camera to get the best out of model photography  :stinker:

Sometimes a compact camera can give a better impression because you can squeeze it into the scene between items of scenery. A digital SLR can be difficult to get in properly. I think that's what Kevin uses though, if my memory serves, and look at the pictures he gets! I know Andy uses a compact. Trevor

Sometimes a compact camera can give a better impression because you can squeeze it into the scene between items of scenery. A digital SLR can be difficult to get in properly. I think that's what Kevin uses though, if my memory serves, and look at the pictures he gets! I know Andy uses a compact. Trevor

Thank guys

I use Panasonic TZ 100

Thanks for the info guys I totally agree that a compact camera is the way to go . I have a Sony SLR and Andy you are spot on about the lenses just to much messing about for me ... the pictures on this thread are taken with a Canon SX 210 S Power shot  which has been an excellent camera which is now nearly seven years old and as with a lot of digital cameras it doesn't seem to perform as it used to maybe the Pixies are dying off inside  :jester: I have heard good reports about the  Panasonic TZ 100  Kevin does it have a video facility ??

Thanks for the info guys I totally agree that a compact camera is the way to go . I have a Sony SLR and Andy you are spot on about the lenses just to much messing about for me ... the pictures on this thread are taken with a Canon SX 210 S Power shot  which has been an excellent camera which is now nearly seven years old and as with a lot of digital cameras it doesn't seem to perform as it used to maybe the Pixies are dying off inside  :jester: I have heard good reports about the  Panasonic TZ 100  Kevin does it have a video facility ??

I got great advice from Rich / Mash Lane as he is a Pro photographer and is happy to help,  and was very helpful.

I wish I could show a pic I took with the Nikon DSLR and the same with the Cannon Compact. The Loco was about 300 yds away, with the std lens on the Nikon the whole Loco was a Blur where as the Cannon was at least the number was readable. Both these taken with the Cannon Compact.

post-9335-0-97455000-1521496493_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-32758700-1521496335_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

My best camera for close up, distance and Movie is my Fuji f5700, that I dropped, and is now held together with an elastic band.

attachicon.gif5000-FujiS57003QUART-1.jpg

Nice little cameras Andy, i've got the Finepix S version.

BTW how did you photograph that camera ?  :jester:

G

It certainly does and it uses the MP4 format for the post focus pictures which is in essence a 1 sec video taken at different focal points from 30mm to infinity.

I thought rather than look everything up and answer piecemeal it would be easier if I attached the advanced operating instructions for it so you can see if it does everything you need.

All I will say is that it's the best little camera I've owned and if it broke down I would automatically buy the same one again.....

Edited by KNP

Thanks for the camera advice gentlemen very interesting information. I will have a good browse through that down load Kevin many thanks  :sungum:

I managed to get into the railway room on Monday after a busy morning doing some paper work  :triniti:  but due to a very early start this morning I did not get time to post an update. One of the interesting things about a cameo style layout is the need for a balance to the scene and having studied many of the books on the subject it is something that I wanted to achieve on Chumley End.

At the mill end of the layout I have been messing about with a couple of buildings to balance the back of the scene. 

post-5136-0-25415400-1521580711.jpg

I was conscious that the old mill building was a bit of a 'shock ending' to the back set of buildings and have felt that a couple of buildings that are not as tall would balance the scene nicely. I have taken a couple of 'ready to plant buildings' and very carefully cut them down the middle so that they will fit nicely alongside the other buildings.  A slight gap between the mill and the barn again will leave a nice area to create a scene going into the back scene area and I will eventually site a tree and bushes set behind a gate and style in the foreground. 

I have had a fancy to model a stretch of canal at the other end of the layout as the original Iain Rice plan had suggested a river meadow area opposite the station area with a water course running through it. The following photo's are only at the very early stage but it shows how I have put the base of the canal side scene into layout.  

post-5136-0-13470300-1521582313.jpg

post-5136-0-38842300-1521582417.jpg 

post-5136-0-82754200-1521582434.jpg

I wanted this canal to be slightly below the line of the railway as situated towards the back of the layout it will give a lot of depth to the final result once the embankments etc are in place. I firstly made a template in cardboard and then using a couple off cuts of 18mm MDF I then cut out a channel to form the main canal structure. Following some cutting out of the main layout frame  :butcher: the cut out formation was then glued into place. 

More to follow  :sungum:

• Like 3

The new Buildings do improve things Martin, and I do like the Canal idea, that should really add some depth and scenic interest mate.

Thanks Andy I will be reading your canal building exploits from Kings Moreton so that i can get the water colour and look right 

• Like 1

There's something special when summer time finally arrives, ok we lose an hour in bed on a Sunday morning but I side stepped that by being up early to watch the first Grand Prix of the season  :sungum: even though it wasn't the result I'd hoped for  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead: the real bonus comes in the evening when the light evenings start and all those jobs suddenly become possible to carry out ...... not that I did much tonight as I'd got stuck into further additions to the building stock on Chumley End. 

post-5136-0-98988300-1522012250.jpg                   post-5136-0-28441300-1522012263.jpg

I have added two more 'ready to plant ' buildings,  one of which is a Bachmann low relief warehouse which will become 'Chas Jones Agricultural Machinery Dealer' and it is joined by the remaining part of the canal side workers cottage which is a Hornby product. These resin buildings are not cheap to purchase so it's good get value for money  :sungum:

post-5136-0-78489200-1522013140.jpg           post-5136-0-46314300-1522013198.jpg

post-5136-0-51440700-1522013214.jpg           post-5136-0-60717500-1522013180.jpg

post-5136-0-59330900-1522013228.jpg

I have also set the buildings in cobbled sets to form a boundary between the roadside which I still have to add but feel that the scene around the agricultural area is starting to come together nicely. I think that will be enough buildings for this part of the layout as the main village is about a mile down the road from the railway which was so often the case in the rural areas and in so many cases led to the closure of so many country branches. 

• Like 3

Wow mate, don't those Buildings blend in nice. well done mate.

As for the Race, I had to wait till C4 at 14.30, not a good result at all.

More Building pics soon I hope. and some running?