gismorail

looks really great Martin and well worth doing well.

Can you clarify the Humbrol 86 Matt Brown / Orange.

Morning Andy the Humbrol orange is 82 which i use in the rust mix and not 86 mix is a brown and used to give a first coat to the track

Edited by gismorail

Good afternoon all just a quick update just to prove that I've not fallen asleep at the work bench  :boast: .......firstly many thanks for all the kind comments regarding the building of Chumley End it is good to know that others are enjoying this little project as much as I am and I hope it is helping others with ways of tackling some of the basic tasks involved in creating a little bit of railway fantasy  :sungum:

I have been searching for an appropriate goods shed for the general goods siding and in  Iain Rice's sketches of the layout plan that Chumley End is based on there is only a small track side building based on an Arthur Pain design which were used throughout the Culm Valley line and as my interpretation of the layout is based in the thriving agricultural area of Cheshire I felt that a larger structure was needed. I have searched through what is available in the kit and ready to plant buildings and the one that seemed to fit the location had been the Bachmann Scenecraft Wooden Goods Shed but alas it has been discontinued for some time and many enquiries have been drawing a blank. I had started to make some sketches with the idea of scratch building something similar but suddenly last week out of the blue one became available thanks to TMC Model Centre and was ordered and arrived this morning and I have been busy positioning the new purchase.......

post-5136-0-82165700-1496339863.jpg                post-5136-0-36700400-1496339877.jpg

post-5136-0-73737700-1496339890.jpg                post-5136-0-07871500-1496339852.jpg

post-5136-0-03856000-1496339843.jpg

I have added an extension loading bay using 18mm ply board faced with Peco platform edging and this will be covered in paving and a loading crane will be added to complete the scene. I have to admit that I have become a bit of a fan of some of these 'ready to plant' buildings and if one is careful as to where they are purchased their not that expensive compared to kits at today's prices plus there is a re-sale value in the future from what I have witnessed on Ebay. I will be detailing the interior and adding lighting to bring this scenic section to life. 

I have also started to add point rodding to the lever frame at the goods yard entrance prior to ballasting and I just need to do some research as to how this would have been laid out before completing what you can see in the following picture. 

post-5136-0-57767900-1496339898.jpg

• Like 10

I do like that goods shed, it looks beautifully made - any chance of a few close ups of the walls/windows and roof?

The rest is coming on as well, looking good.

I do like that goods shed, it looks beautifully made - any chance of a few close ups of the walls/windows and roof?

The rest is coming on as well, looking good.

Hi Kevin 

I fell in love with it too just felt the right building for the location not any particular railway company but was more than likely been built by a local private contractor . I will post some close up pictures tomorrow no problem 

As promised here are some close up pictures of the wooden Bachmann goods shed as supplied.  

post-5136-0-61209700-1496735432.jpgpost-5136-0-25549800-1496735442.jpgpost-5136-0-97170300-1496735452.jpgpost-5136-0-49834300-1496735466.jpgpost-5136-0-93490300-1496735477.jpgpost-5136-0-93490300-1496735477.jpgpost-5136-0-34009300-1496735488.jpgpost-5136-0-28059300-1496735503.jpg

I imagine that the Cheshire Lines Commitee would have sub-contracted out the building of this structure to a local builder. This seemed to be a common practice at the time of the formation of railways in the area and two examples that come to mind is the station buildings at Liverpool Road Chester and Wrexham Central which has been compared with a religious building which was not surprising as it was ordered from an 'iron chapel' manufacturer 

The basic building is a wooden structure that has been built on a brick base the style of which is in keeping with many of the agricultural buildings throughout the area. I intend to white wash the interior walls which will enhance the detail that I am going to add to bring the building to life. A wall will have to be added to the interior where the office space is at present and I will install  lighting both interior and externally and this should also enhance the general scene. I have started to lay out some of the Wills cobbling sheets around the outside of the shed and will carry on down to the end of the goods platform which will also be faced with Wills paving and block work on the sides. I need to complete this work in a basic form before the surrounding track work gets ballasted as the base of the goods shed and loading dock will be fixed to the base boards but the main building will be removable. 

• Like 3

Even more impressed when seen close up.

The quality of ready made buildings is getting better and better.......

Thanks for posting.

What colour are you going to do the cobbles?

Even more impressed when seen close up.

The quality of ready made buildings is getting better and better.......

Thanks for posting.

What colour are you going to do the cobbles?

Your correct about the quality of these 'ready to plant' buildings as Andy Peters calls them, there is some excellent details on them and with some extra 'bashing' it's amazing what one can achieve in a short space of time. Not sure exactly what colour the cobbles will land up being to be honest there will be some over grown areas where I will enhance with static grass and weeds and general muck all around the approach to the whole scene. I used the Greenscene general textured weathering paints to good effect on  my Chester Northgate Shed layout.

post-5136-0-43573000-1496745907.jpg

• Like 3

Well following on from my post this morning I have spent a couple of hours filing  & cutting the Wills cobble sets to make them fit around the goods shed. As I mentioned the idea is to fix the goods dock's to the base boards and the actual shed itself will be removable mainly for safety but also to keep the weight of the layout down as much as possible for the times when it is transported to exhibitions. Once the internal dock had been glued down I very carefully removed the steps that lead up to the office so that they could be incorporated into the outside loading dock 

post-5136-0-66160400-1496787091.jpg

My thought process on this was it made the removal of the building a straight lift which is important as I will be fitting a very small electrical conduct through the baseboard for the lighting that will eventually fitted. 

post-5136-0-27224300-1496787361.jpg

• Like 2

Well following on from my post this morning I have spent a couple of hours filing  & cutting the Wills cobble sets to make them fit around the goods shed. As I mentioned the idea is to fix the goods dock's to the base boards and the actual shed itself will be removable mainly for safety but also to keep the weight of the layout down as much as possible for the times when it is transported to exhibitions. Once the internal dock had been glued down I very carefully removed the steps that lead up to the office so that they could be incorporated into the outside loading dock 

post-5136-0-66160400-1496787091.jpg

This made the removal of the building into a straight lift which will become important as I'm going to fit a very small electrical connection into the base to power internal lighting later on in the build. 

post-5136-0-27224300-1496787361.jpg

Once the cobble sets were fitted I secured the sheets to the base boards using Evo-stick and the joins were disguised using filler which is very carefully rubbed into the textured surface. 

post-5136-0-65003000-1496788032.jpg

The goods shed is fairly close to the baseboard joint as this shot shows which was another good reason to make it removable. The cobble sets will continue for a short distance on the other baseboard as a small PW depot is planned on the other side of the coal siding which runs alongside the goods yard. 

post-5136-0-17921100-1496788354.jpg

As normal sod's law stopped play in the end as I have run out of cobble set sheets but more have been ordered today so work can be continued. The main goods dock has yet to be fixed to the base board as the side walling and paving has still to be painted which will be much easy to do at the work bench. The GW siphon is an old Lima model which is still in original condition with 'plastic wheel sets' :triniti:  and I have been using this vehicle to prove the platform / dock  clearances as it is as wide a gauge that will run on Chumley End. 

• Like 2

Evening all trust that everyone has enjoyed a relaxing weekend all ready for another hectic week ahead but without the boring election news being too over powering on the media channels. I personally have a fun packed week planned which will start with a trip over the Settle and Carlisle line on the Dalesman Railtour on Tuesday and a further trip on Friday to the Great Central Railway Model Event which should be very enjoyable  :sungum:    oh the joys of semi-retirement  :jester:

Being someone who is always on the look out for a bargain I was in Wilko yesterday and stumbled upon a set of artist's paint brushs  for £3.50 which contented 12 fairly good quality brushes and with the prospect of plenty of painting ahead on Chumley End I snapped them up especially as there are some good quality 'flaty' brushes which are essential for dry brushing ..... so if your looking for some go get them  :triniti:

post-5136-0-42683200-1497216851.jpg

I finally managed to complete the rodding for the lever frame which is set alongside the three way turnout at the goods yard head shunt and have spent this evening setting the ballast in place  all ready for adding the PVA glue mixture which I apply with a lab dropper. 

post-5136-0-78187500-1497217415.jpg                                                                                                        post-5136-0-40119000-1497217431.jpg

A couple of shots of the lever frame complete with rodding 

post-5136-0-71635600-1497217521.jpg

And the final picture for tonight's update shows the head shunt ballasted prior to the PVA glue mixture being added.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifHead shunt 01 001 (221x400).jpg

I finally managed to complete the rodding for the lever frame which is set alongside the three way turnout at the goods yard head shunt and have spent this evening setting the ballast in place  all ready for adding the PVA glue mixture which I apply with a lab dropper. 

Very nice.

If you don't mind me asking, is the ground frame scratch built or is it a kit ?

Thanks

Adrian