gismorail

Update from Friday pm............A real WAZZZZZZER moment .........layout point servo's now working through the control panel with LEDS working    .........now for the truth   :O

In the attempt to get things working I was to be honest having a :scared:  'nightmare' :scared:  ....all the wires were all hooked up and I just couldn't get anything to work. I was checking the megapoint board was in 'slave'mode and that the processor board was in 'master' mode but just nothing was happening.  During my lunch break at work on Friday (yes sad I know) I had a good read through the Megapoints manuals and once I got home and spent an hour watching Dave's instruction videos and suddenly I realised my stupid mistake........ the processor board that is situated in the control panel is the wrong way round this was done so the the connections were easy to wire up and I didn't pick this up when I plugged the servo leads in ....once this was reversed all worked !!!!!!! Have to say that this is testimony to the 'bullet' proof make up of this system as I'm sure that with some lesser systems I would be blown the boards big time.   :butcher:

Another great thing about the system is that if you have wired any servo's the wrong way round direction wise it's just a matter of reversing the movement during programming which saves having to change any wiring !! So it looks as through I can get the boards of their backs this week and get the throw of the turnouts adjusted and hopefully trains will be running ........watch this space :sungum:

Trains Running :O  :no:  :senile:  :sungum: ?????? I'm on my way up mate, WOOOOPIE. :sungum:

Good news about that whatsit board not blowing, that could have been a nightmare.

• Like 1

Trains Running :O  :no:  :senile:  :sungum: ?????? I'm on my way up mate, WOOOOPIE. :sungum:

Good news about that whatsit board not blowing, that could have been a nightmare.

Talking to Dave Fenton Megapoints at the Liverpool Show he was saying that when he was testing the product before releasing it onto the market he tried all the servo leads in all the wrong places to make sure that idiots like me did not blow things up ........ good on him I say gives my great faith in the product for the future to be honest. There were several layouts at the show using the product and all operators were well pleased with the performance. I think that next time I will mount the servo's on the surface and use wire and tube to operate the turnouts where possible just to make installation simple  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Talking to Dave Fenton Megapoints at the Liverpool Show he was saying that when he was testing the product before releasing it onto the market he tried all the servo leads in all the wrong places to make sure that idiots like me did not blow things up ........ good on him I say gives my great faith in the product for the future to be honest. There were several layouts at the show using the product and all operators were well pleased with the performance. I think that next time I will mount the servo's on the surface and use wire and tube to operate the turnouts where possible just to make installation simple  

I definitely think having the servos conveniently placed is the way to go. I built a layout using tortoise motors laid on their sides at the back hidden under removeable scenery the turnouts were operated by brass wire in plastruct tubing. My portable layout has wire in plastruct tubing worked by hand. Just use servos to push/pull the wire and it should be fine.

Don 

The Locomotive run on Chumley End ......at last..... 

Well the layout is back on it's feet and I have fully adjusted all the servo motors and checked through all the turnouts for operation. I have done a temp fix of the control panel to the back of the layout and it's all systems GO GO GO !!!!! :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

post-5136-0-84236800-1493541087.jpg

I have done a movie of the first loco running on the layout but I cannot get it to upload onto RM Web ...will investigate the options and hopefully will post it on later 

• Like 2

The Locomotive run on Chumley End ......at last..... 

Well the layout is back on it's feet and I have fully adjusted all the servo motors and checked through all the turnouts for operation. I have done a temp fix of the control panel to the back of the layout and it's all systems GO GO GO !!!!! :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

attachicon.giffirst running session 001 (750x571).jpg

I have done a movie of the first loco running on the layout but I cannot get it to upload onto RM Web ...will investigate the options and hopefully will post it on later 

The way i post videos is to upload them to YouTube, click on share and copy/paste the link into a post on RMWeb. This usually displays the video in the RMweb post.

Looking forward to seeing the trains running.

Edited by tender

The way i post videos is to upload them to YouTube, click on share and copy/paste the link into a post on RMWeb. This usually displays the video in the RMweb post.

Looking forward to seeing the trains running.

Thanks for that just uploaded it onto youtube took 2hrs 16min !!! 

Fanstastic !  A major milestone reached works wonders for the MoJo, doesn't it ! 

The SLW 24 looks and sounds great too, looking forward to the scenery now !

I wish I could get on with either of my layouts, but, they are both packed away at the moment, pending TT visitors that will be needing to use the room and then a house move a little later on - when we find one !

Edited by andi4x4

Fanstastic !  A major milestone reached works wonders for the MoJo, doesn't it ! 

The SLW 24 looks and sounds great too, looking forward to the scenery now !

I wish I could get on with either of my layouts, but, they are both packed away at the moment, pending TT visitors that will be needing to use the room and then a house move a little later on - when we find one !

Thanks Andi your spot on there mate ...MOJO is well out of control now  :jester:  :jester: Been busy shaping the station platform this morning and the exit bridge to the dairy and MOD depot , also thinking of the other end of the layout out the same time arrrrrrr so much to do  :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:  womderful.......to be honest the making / editing the movie and putting it on youtube is also a major milestone for me it's the first time I've even tried anything like that ......what a hobby  :locomotive:  :locomotive:

• Like 1

Hi Martin, Great to see a Train moving mate, (and a good one to use as well), I'm now looking forward to coming up even more.

Brilliant work.

It's amazing Andy I have a train moving all be it with no scenery .......mmmmm should I rip it up and start again ...!!!!!! :triniti:

• Like 1

Brilliant, Martin, extremely well done. Shall have to come and see it soon!!!! So pleased it works so well. Trevor

Thanks Trev will be in touch later this week still on these draft morning and afternoon shifts at present  :nono:

It's OK Andy I will not be ripping up any track for now so you and Larry are safe in keeping that Monopoly  :jester:

So having got over the shock of running a loco on the layout and posting a clip on ' youtube ' my attention has now turned to the scenery at last ..... I have in my mind's eye what I'm looking to create but it's another thing to turn that into reality. As Chumley End is being built as an exhibition layout am hoping to create a complete scene a bit like a theatre or as Iain Rice calls it a 'Cameo' which is a good way to describe it. 

I started to make up the platform at the station end as the first task and I remember thinking when I laid the track it was going to be a challenge as I had introduced a very slight curve as the line enters the fiddle yard. To determine the line of the platform edge I pinned down a piece of lining paper over the track work and with a thick pencil marked to out the rail nearest the platform edge a bit like a brass rubbing. I then very carefully cut along the line a produce template for the platform profile. There are many ways of producing a platform in our hobby and the one that I have chosen is to craft a piece of 18mm ply board and to use the Peco platform edges as I found that these are 18mm to the base of the coping stone which will then just need some Wills paving sheets to complete the platform surface in which the building can be set within. 

The following photographs will hopefully explain my idea. 

post-5136-0-41511000-1493628799.jpg   This is the Peco platform edging as purchased showing the fixing lugs 

post-5136-0-37112600-1493628814.jpg   I then file off the fixing lugs to leave a smooth edge

post-5136-0-23972700-1493628828.jpg  The 18mm ply board with the edging glued in place 

post-5136-0-02985900-1493628844.jpg I have then faced the platform edge with Slaters plastic card. 

The ramps were very carefully cut with a jig saw with a new blade to make sure that the cut is straight. The last photograph shows the Peco edging with the coping slabs standing clear of the ply-board surface ready for the Wills pavement sheets to complete.

I also pushed on with the scenery foundations around the station area and the bridge exit to the fiddle yard 

post-5136-0-37539500-1493629973.jpg               post-5136-0-37371900-1493629991.jpg

I have again used 18mm ply-board scraps to raise the base of the station yard and the embankments have been shaped with Kingspan insulation left overs from the shed build. The bridge which is only temporary fitted is the Wills single span kit with abutment walls. 

post-5136-0-93514000-1493630444.jpg

post-5136-0-61882600-1493630522.jpg

post-5136-0-61205600-1493630582.jpg

post-5136-0-74853000-1493630607.jpg

post-5136-0-75968500-1493630706.jpg

The platform has like the bridge only been fitted temporary as I need to paint and weather the brick and iron work as well as add the platform paving slabs etc. Some of you might be wondering what the 'yellow' foam that is seeping from beneath scenery work well I have discovered 'Guerrilla' glue from an American Railroading Series that I have started watching and it's an amazing product and available from 'Screwfix' 

Well that's 'progress' to date  :sungum:

• Like 6

Brilliant work Martin, I use the 18mm MDF for my Platforms along with the Peco Edging and it works a treat.

I love the way it's all coming together now. The last couple of pics really define how it will look once the scenic work starts in ernest.

Very good mate.

Brilliant work Martin, I use the 18mm MDF for my Platforms along with the Peco Edging and it works a treat.

I love the way it's all coming together now. The last couple of pics really define how it will look once the scenic work starts in ernest.

Very good mate.

Thanks Andy for you kind comments I ' feel a need to create' at the moment must be an artistic streak (piss artist maybe)  :jester: MOJO has defo moved in  :senile:

• Like 1

Excellent work Martin. At this rate I can see it being finished by the end of the month!! Obviously the end of working on the very complex electrics has released your creative side with a vengeance. Wigan next year? Trevor

• Like 1

Further work yesterday saw the first basic coat of emulsion paint applied onto the the back-scene area which has been a mixture of Valspar 'Big Sky' and 'Ice Blue' to give some depth of perspective rather than a plain flat colour.

post-5136-0-78722200-1493704123.jpg

I have also started to construct the loading bays around the agricultural depot area which will include cattle pens and end unloading area for machinery being delivered to the local machinery dealer  'Chas Jones' 

post-5136-0-48678000-1493704193.jpg

The strange looking cardboard mock up building in the back ground is the start of the construction of ' Griffiths Bros Millers and Seed Merchants mill which will be a reconstruction of the mill at Uffculme Mill. This will be a scratch build low relief construction that will have to blend into the curved back scene .The photograph below should give some idea of what the structure will look like if all goes to plan 

post-5136-0-01627200-1493704901.jpg

There will also unloading facilities for the local cattle auction which will utilise the Ratio plastic kit but much modified to suit the location  

post-5136-0-66003900-1493705412.jpg

From my research I noted that many of the larger cattle unloading areas used to have a concreted 'plinth' at rail level which must have been for drainage during washing off the area after use . I have therefore installed a 'slurry slab' before any ballasting is under taken 

post-5136-0-84696800-1493705440.jpg

Hope my ramblings are of interest that's it for now 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Some nice work there Martin and it was good to see the loco running. I think you mean Gorilla Glue,  Guerrillas might blow the layout up! I use the Gorilla Superglue when I can get it. It is not too runny and works well for me.

Don

Some nice work there Martin and it was good to see the loco running. I think you mean Gorilla Glue,  Guerrillas might blow the layout up! I use the Gorilla Superglue when I can get it. It is not too runny and works well for me.

Don

What a dozy sod I am you spot on there I stand corrected  :no:

I had put it down to the spell checker.

Don

I'd put it down to his age, :drag: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,BUT he's younger than me, hahahhaeee :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:

That's my invite out the window. :sungum:

• Like 1

I'd put it down to his age, :drag: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,BUT he's younger than me, hahahhaeee :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:

That's my invite out the window. :sungum:

Ha Ha your always welcome Andy my old mucker .....mind you with all the work going on in there at present it does look as if a Guerrilla has been in there to be honest . .... I'm a bit of an urban terrorist when MOJO strikes .....nothing else matters  :triniti: 

• Like 2

I think Donw may be right. It's the curse of the spell checker. So long as it's spelled right who cares if it's the right word.

On the other hand, it could be that Andrew P has hit the nail and it is his age. And he's younger than me too!! Trevor

• Like 1