Dapol Class 22

DLPG

• RMweb Premium

Is anyone aware of any news on release dates for these babies ?

It's gone a bit quiet but possibly because of the anticipation of other models not least the well tanks. The best that can be gleaned from a round-up of retailer's web sites is "sometime this winter" and Dapol's own site is as ever silent on the matter.

• 2 weeks later...

The numbers (as applied to the examples on show today) are oversized and the glazing looked a little milky but the overall impression for me is very good. There's a lot to capture on a such a relatively small loco but I think Dapol have done a great job. From what I saw today, the headcode box apertures could do with being opened out a bit more but the 'face' looks good.

With the various livey options and detail differences between class members, there's going to be some enjoyable modelling ahead. By the late 60s, no two seemed to be alike!

Nidge ;)

Hi guys,

to clarify the models on display.

these were first EP or 'first shots' from the tooling that i picked up last week when in China.

they do not have all the detail you would expect from a finished model as this is added in the second stage (2nd EP stage) the immediately preceeds production.

So all the bogie pipes, rivets etc will come in about a month.

in fact the paint jobs were created from scratch whilst over there in 2 days for all those colours, and to be honest for that length of time taken i didnt really care about the final livery application as i just wanted something green on the stand. sorry.

As for the milky glazing? easy answer, once second EP stage proceeds then the tool is polished to create clear glazing. :)

so please bear all this in mind when you see pictures of the model either here or on our web site on monday.

the best is yet to come.

Cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys,

to clarify the models on display.

these were first EP or 'first shots' from the tooling that i picked up last week when in China.

they do not have all the detail you would expect from a finished model as this is added in the second stage (2nd EP stage) the immediately preceeds production.

So all the bogie pipes, rivets etc will come in about a month.

in fact the paint jobs were created from scratch whilst over there in 2 days for all those colours, and to be honest for that length of time taken i didnt really care about the final livery application as i just wanted something green on the stand. sorry.

As for the milky glazing? easy answer, once second EP stage proceeds then the tool is polished to create clear glazing. :)

so please bear all this in mind when you see pictures of the model either here or on our web site on monday.

the best is yet to come.

Cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

No need to be sorry Dave - it looked pretty good apart from those numbers (and the worksplate as I also mentioned to youwink.gif) but by then it was clear that the 'decoration' was largely irrelevant for the very reasons you outline above. What now clearly counts at this stage is the basic shape and overall arrangement of things such as grilles etc and in that respect from what I saw of it you have 'caught' the loco. Nice wheels too guv (even if they couldn't be seen to best advantage).

I'm looking forward to having at least one 'on trial' in a miniature South Wales.

Likewise from me too Dave - my comments weren't meant as any form of criticism, far from it, just a general first impression really. Thanks for clearing up those points in your post too. I looked at the 22s long and hard yesterday and walked away with a smile on my face, the very 'squat' nature of the real machines has been captured to a tee as far as I'm concerned and I look forward to giving at least one example a typical 'Laira' paint job in due course!

Time to dig out those old photos again methinks, then decide which ones to 'do'.... ;)

Nidge

• RMweb Premium

It's been a very long wait (not Dapol's fault - they kept us in the picture) and it seems it will still be another six months until the 22s arrive. I'll continue to wait patiently and with the extra time consider whether I can justify a third on top of my existing orders.

• RMweb Gold

Is this the 22 in another thread pic.

http://www.rmweb.co....234#entry262234

Background and lower?

Yes, it appears in the Warley thread as well I think; nice little job it is and I believe that Kernow have the licence for a weathered version but talking to Chris it seems the Chinese have latched on to the lure of factory weathered locos and stock and are beginning to price accordingly.

I had a close look at the model and I felt that even though it needs a bit of "spit and polish" (by Dapol's own admission), it captures the class 22 well. Certainly I didn't spot and glaring errors with the "face" of the loco, which is such a key feature of these little hydraulics. Roll on May!

• RMweb Gold

I had a close look at the model and I felt that even though it needs a bit of "spit and polish" (by Dapol's own admission), it captures the class 22 well. Certainly I didn't spot and glaring errors with the "face" of the loco, which is such a key feature of these little hydraulics. Roll on May!

Bodes well for the 21/29 they announced too.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, it appears in the Warley thread as well I think; nice little job it is and I believe that Kernow have the licence for a weathered version but talking to Chris it seems the Chinese have latched on to the lure of factory weathered locos and stock and are beginning to price accordingly.

Kernow have gone on record as saying that their "Unsilver Bullets" will be the last of their kind owing to the large cost hikes coming from China making such superb workmanship no longer commercially attractive. If the 22's were to be done to the same standard (and bearing in mind they were often seen with white radiator "spill" along with the normal road dirt) we should have superb little locos. If the "weathering" were just an extra spray in the painting stage then the cost may be more palatable and attractive but the end result would be all of them looking the same and just like every other factory weathered loco.

If weathered ones were to be produced please please please do not apply Dapol "red oxide" wagon-style weathering!

• Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

Other weathering sources are available...! ;)

I'm quite impressed with the 'face' of the loco which appears to capture the classic look of the NBL types very well. It certainly bids well for the DE versions.

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

Mainly directed to Dapol Dave:

Looking at the Kernow web site it states the following locos will be in blue:

Ref D1000A D6322 and

Ref D1000B D6333

My records state that both these locos had the original blue repaint style with the B.R arrows below the numbers. Are Dapol due to be making the variant with the later style of repaint i.e the arrows positioned above the numbers?

HI All

Boy is my wallet going to be screaming next year, with the BTW coming out and the class 22, have two on order, 3F and 7F as well ……….going to be a poor but happy man!:D

Roll on next year.

All the best

Darren01

• RMweb Gold

I've had a D63XX on order for some time, now backed it up with a D6XX Warship, and having seen the photos of the D63XX I can see a second one being ordered if my wallet can stand the strain. Does anyone know if Alan Gibson, or anybody else, is going to produce the distinctive spoked wheels to a standard suitable for EM conversion?

• RMweb Gold

anyone know if Alan Gibson, or anybody else, is going to produce the distinctive spoked wheels to a standard suitable for EM conversion?

Ultrascale do a spoked S.R. tender wheelset, which is the right diameter and number of spokes for one of these, and I ordered a set in P4 for my Silver Fox version. They also do them for OO and EM.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mainly directed to Dapol Dave:

Looking at the Kernow web site it states the following locos will be in blue:

Ref D1000A D6322 and

Ref D1000B D6333

My records state that both these locos had the original blue repaint style with the B.R arrows below the numbers. Are Dapol due to be making the variant with the later style of repaint i.e the arrows positioned above the numbers?

If D6333 looks anything like this i will be well pleased. Will buy another blue version as well if in the last Swindon style.

Will have to weather my Limby milk tankers in the meantime.

Great pic of a preproduction Dapol 22 in this months RM- looks the business. It's been a good time 7Fs and now this, though the wallet doesn't think so.

Neil

post-6925-026674000 1292669143_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

D6333 ended its days in blue as shown; that's not green as it has a TOPS data panel and does not have a green era logo. How many green locos wore the barbed wire? A few 22's which were repainted very late had the later numeral font without the D. Earlier ones - in common with other classes - retained the D and used the same font as per maroon and green livery styles.