Dapol Class 22

DLPG

• RMweb Gold

Hi gang,

re drawings for NBL diesels - not all were drawn in Glasgow, my Dad worked in an office in Bath and it did drawings for many parts. Dad drew up the parts for the fan drive after shown an "approved" set that would have sheared first time power applied !

The offices were a sub part of Stothert and Pitt. My dads loco training at Hunslets and the other ex Swindon man were ignored and gents who designed conveyors and cranes did the loco drawings except when NBL visited when drawings were dumped on all boards - spin is not a new evil.

If only the good Dapol boys will do a N version ! Mind you the Gauge one is a real monster!

Robert Shrives

I have been trying to work out which locos can be represented accurately by the Dapol model, together with their liveries and allocations.

Mid 1967: D6313 GSY 83A, D6314 BSY 84A, D6315 GSY 83A, D6316 GSY 83A, D6318 BFY 83A, D6319 GSY 83A, D6320 GSY 83A, D6321 GSY 82A, D6324 GSY 82A, D6325 BFY 82A.

Mid 1968: D6314 BSY 84A, D6315 GSY 84A, D6318 BFY 84A, D6319 GSY 82A, D6320 GSY 82A, D6324 GSY 82A, D6325 BFY 82A.

Mid 1969: D6315 GSY 84A, D6318 BFY 84A, D6319 GSY 84A, D6320 GSY 82A.

Mid 1970: D6315 GSY 84A, D6318 BFY 84A, D6319 GSY 84A, D6320 GSY 82A.

Mid 1971: D6319 BFY 84A.

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that comprehensive piece of work Geoff

Is that based on the assumption that all the Dapol 22s announced have the same body shell as the one we have seen - D6319?

Kind regards

Phil Bullock

• 1 month later...

Chatting to some dealers recently it seems that the 22 will be in the shops in around a fortnight. Could this be true?

I would certainly doubt that; it's currently having some minor amendments made to the tooling.

• Like 1

The DEMU sample only got the the UK 7am on the Saturday and its not got any rivet detail added yet or the printing fixed. Don't think production batches are starting for a while yet. Not a prototype I know much about but the sample was impressive on the stand.

The DEMU sample only got the the UK 7am on the Saturday and its not got any rivet detail added yet or the printing fixed. Don't think production batches are starting for a while yet. Not a prototype I know much about but the sample was impressive on the stand.

No chance, suggest Christmas if your lucky!! Charlie

• RMweb Gold

I would certainly doubt that; it's currently having some minor amendments made to the tooling.

I take it that they haven't gone into full production then Andy?

This isn't a dig at Dapol and better late than never, but I really hope it looks and performs as well as it should, because if it doesn't it will be such a disappointment and this could really make (or break) the company in the 00 market. There are still quite a lot of Steam locos (not sure about diesels) and rolling stock, both passenger and freight that haven't been developed by Bachmann, or Hornby and this could be a really good chance for Dapol to get real shelf presence again. I really hope it is cracking model that will sell in great numbers for them and is easy to convert to P4! wink.gif

Regards,

Nick

I take it that they haven't gone into full production then Andy?

I don't believe they have yet but I am very encouraged by the potential for this model having looked at the LMS twins and talked about Hatton's testing thereof; link that to Model Rail's Sentinel's performance as seen so far and I'm quite optimistic about this.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I don't believe they have yet but I am very encouraged by the potential for this model having looked at the LMS twins and talked about Hatton's testing thereof; link that to Model Rail's Sentinel's performance as seen so far and I'm quite optimistic about this.

Oh so am I, from the pre-production weathered photo I saw it looks really good (I must confess I had been a bit doubtful before I saw that photo). And I had forgotten about the Sentinel's, that's a very good point.

Regards,

Nick

Not to mention the very promising Kernow Beattie Well Tanks.

• RMweb Premium

No chance, suggest Christmas if your lucky!! Charlie

So a Class 22 will be overtaken by a Western... Fairly protypical then :laugh:

But seriously, I'm happy to wait if it is as good as promised. But surely this slippage, taking up toolmakers time and later production slots, will mean a delay to Dapol's other OO locomotives too.

• RMweb Gold

And it will still be the only R-T-R Class 22 available, so I think it will sell by the shedload in any case...

The mechanism of the Sentinel is sublime, so yes, I am also optimistic.

• RMweb Premium

And therein lies the modelmakers ultimate conudrum. Rush it and get it out when you say you will or admit there will be delays but offer (hopefully) the best you can. Which would you rather?

From a business point of view then it's tricky to know when to stop tweaking I guess. Assuming the first pass at the model is 95% rivet counter proof then will the extra time and money required to make the model 99% rivet counter proof really be recouped in extra profit from extra sales? Personally I doubt it in general.

EDIT:

Particularly as the Good Captain points out "And it will still be the only R-T-R Class 22 available, so I think it will sell by the shedload in any case..."

From a business point of view then it's tricky to know when to stop tweaking I guess. Assuming the first pass at the model is 95% rivet counter proof then will the extra time and money required to make the model 99% rivet counter proof really be recouped in extra profit from extra sales? Personally I doubt it in general.

EDIT:

Particularly as the Good Captain points out "And it will still be the only R-T-R Class 22 available, so I think it will sell by the shedload in any case..."

Dapol Dave can hopefully confirm but I believe this example from DEMU is already the 2nd Class 22 tooling after issues were noted with the initial go?

• 2 weeks later...

Any word on whether an N gauge version is still on cards at some point?

Yes, please. The silence has been deafening so far. The Western was announced as being made in 00 and N from day 1, but nothing official for the 22. Please Dapol, confirm what the status of an N 22 is, even if that status is only 'undecided'

Thanks

STEVE

EDIT:

Agreed. The law of diminishing returns comes into play here. A lot of this thread had been tying the model down to specific locomotives, and I'm sorry, RTR stock has to be a compromise on some detail/livery combination. We will get a very good model of a class 22, just accept that there is some "genericness" about it..

• Like 2

Agreed. The law of diminishing returns comes into play here. A lot of this thread had been tying the model down to specific locomotives, and I'm sorry, RTR stock has to be a compromise on some detail/livery combination. We will get a very good model of a class 22, just accept that there is some "genericness" about it..

Hear Hear - witness the guff being generated in the Olivias trains class 76 thread regarding one very tiny area (cab side windows) - it looks like a 76.............. yes it does :yes: