Robin Brasher

Hornby-Dublo made the first model of a BR 4MT tank engine in 1954, three years after British Railways built the prototypes. Since then Lima, Graham Farish and Bachmann have produced models with varying success. The Lima version is probably the worst model railway locomotive anyone has ever built and Bachmann and Graham Farish have come a long way since then,  

The picture shows 32-360 Bachmann British Railways 4MT 2-6-4T 80121 in BR lined black with the late crest crossing Corfe Viaduct with a goods train. This was at the Purbeck Model Railway Group layout on the first floor of the stables at Godlingston Manor, Swanage.

post-17621-0-19567500-1474640363_thumb.jpg

Edited by Robin Brasher
  • Like 3

I've two of the Hornby Dublo (EDL18) models, one 3-rail and the other 2-rail, the 3-rail from new and the 2-rail several years later after I'd been converted...  Despite being wellt over fifty years old, both run well, the 2-rail version still makes occasional appearances on my layout!

I've never seen the Lima version, but if its anything like their interpretation of the Hughes Crab, then it must be a doozey!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have a couple the Bacchy models and they are very very good, only weakness being the below footplate pipework, it is easily broken and no spares are available :nono: , there is an article in MRJ about P4 conversion and the author fabricates a set........bit beyond me though. My first train set contained the Dublo version and I loved it. I wanted a Triang Transcontinental Set but the bloke three doors away persuaded my dad otherwise.....great decision dad!! Set me on a life-long love of model railways.

Rgds......Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think it was the introduction of this model, together with the BR Mk1 coaches, which persuaded me to move from modelling the LNER in the 1930s, to the BR transition era!  I always wanted a Hornby Dublo one but never did; I have got a Wrenn one tucked away somewhere but it was always a disappointing runner.

I have a couple the Bacchy models and they are very very good, only weakness being the below footplate pipework, it is easily broken and no spares are available :nono: , there is an article in MRJ about P4 conversion and the author fabricates a set........bit beyond me though. My first train set contained the Dublo version and I loved it. I wanted a Triang Transcontinental Set but the bloke three doors away persuaded my dad otherwise.....great decision dad!! Set me on a life-long love of model railways.

Rgds......Mike

Yes, very fragile. My first arrived smashed beyond repair. I should have sent it back but attempted a repair instead. Years later I got an intact one and it is a beautiful model.

I love a story about how someone many years ago did something which is fondly remembered so long afterwards. I have a Wrenn version of the old Dublo. The detail is poor and the motor ugly but it runs well and is wonderfully heavy, which gives it an appealing presence on the track. The valve gear is poor by modern standards (no pun intended) but it is in forward gear, which you don’t often see.

Now then. Hornby does the Fowler and Stanier two cylinder. Bachmann the Ivatt and Standard. Wouldn’t it be nice if someone were to do the Stanier three cylinder? :shout: A Murphy WT is too much to ask. :( All in all, family of very fine locomotives.

• RMweb Gold

I have to question if Lima ever made one of these locos. It does not appear in Ramsay's British Model Trains Catalogue.

For sale in Hattons's product database..

(With pictures, but I really only reccomend clicking the link after 9pm, for those of an older age, with a fetish for horror stories)

http://www.hattons.co.uk/154427/Lima_L320252_U_Class_4MT_2_6_4T_80033_in_BR_Black_Pre_owned_wrong_box/StockDetail.aspx

This Lima model would be a candidate for the Top Gear piano.

Edited by adb968008

For sale in Hattons's product database..

(With pictures, but I really only reccomend clicking the link after 9pm, for those of an older age, with a fetish for horror stories)

http://www.hattons.co.uk/154427/Lima_L320252_U_Class_4MT_2_6_4T_80033_in_BR_Black_Pre_owned_wrong_box/StockDetail.aspx

This Lima model would be a candidate for the Top Gear piano.

Good idea to put the number on, so that we can tell what it is supposed to be.

... Wouldn’t it be nice if someone were to do the Stanier three cylinder? ...

... put the number on, so that we can tell what it is supposed to be.

Naughtily linking together these two separate ideas may just provide the method. Not knowing whether the topfeed only and dome and topfeed boilers are both provided for in the Hornby Stanier 2 cylinder tooling, is this a possibility? There would still be the tank vent pipes to add, if the boiler features allow the last of the 3 cylinder build with the larger cab opening to be represented. (With outside cylinders and valve chests so often modelled a fraction undersize to allow for carrying wheel clearance on tight curves, it is an evens chance that the 2 cylinder model may well be better dimensioned for the 3 cylinder type in this department!)

Mine has a slight problem, it stalls on double slips. I have checked the pick ups and they are all fine clean and connected to the wheels. When i lightly press the model down off it goes. I think it maybe the slip not being level. I do like seeing mine posed on shes with its front door open

The Lima N gauge version certainly did appear unfortunately. The Model Railway Constructor done a review of it, with the Lima loco at the top of the page, and an Arnold DB 2-10-0 on the bottom of the page. they didn't have to say much the pictures said it all. The Lima model was horrendous. It was almost like comparing a Trix Twin "Flying Scotsman" tinplate 0--4-0 model with the Bachmann Tornado.

circa 1968.

I'm trying to get a set of driving wheels for my Bachy 2-6-4T, mine took a nose-dive off the layout and broke the leading wheels beyond repair.

Bachmann's is a handsome model of what is probably my favourite steam loco type.

Looking for an excuse to run one on the layout, I subsequently found out they'd done one that only needed Mk3 ole warning flashes to replicate a prototype that was mainline certified in the late '90s.

80079 I believe. Trying to find one for a good price, could renumber 80009 at a push I s'pose...

C6T.

I have to question if Lima ever made one of these locos. It does not appear in Ramsay's British Model Trains Catalogue.

I have  to  agree   I don't  think  Lima  ever   manufactured  one  ( They  did  a  sort  of  one  in  N  Gauge but  that  is  best  not  mentioned!!!)

I have  to  agree   I don't  think  Lima  ever   manufactured  one  ( They  did  a  sort  of  one  in  N  Gauge but  that  is  best  not  mentioned!!!)

Hastening to mention it :D there’s a picture of it in Ramsay’s 6th. edition in GWR green. Just when you think it couldn’t possibly be worse . . .

would it be possible for anyone to taker a picture of the underside of a tank, im after a pic of how the front pony truck goes together, i took the wheel out of mine and now its stuck and wont go round! and without the brass spring the tank struggles, what is it supposed to look like? thanks

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann's is a handsome model of what is probably my favourite steam loco type.

Looking for an excuse to run one on the layout, I subsequently found out they'd done one that only needed Mk3 ole warning flashes to replicate a prototype that was mainline certified in the late '90s.

80079 I believe. Trying to find one for a good price, could renumber 80009 at a push I s'pose...

C6T.

80079, 80080, 80098 have been mainline, 80135 went "mainline"Ish, it did some trips to Middlesbrough.

(Of other std 4Mt's, 75014, 75069, 76079) and as of 2 weeks ago 76084 looks to have joined the list, having completed a mainline trial run.

Bachmann have done 80079, 80135, and all bar 76084 of the other mainline ones.

Edited by adb968008

Has anyone removed the body to fit a decoder? The instructions are very poor. I have removed the five screws as shown and the boiler lifts a little but the rear wont budge. Various pipe work seems to be connected to both chassis and body along with the speedo cable. Any clues?

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone removed the body to fit a decoder? The instructions are very poor. I have removed the five screws as shown and the boiler lifts a little but the rear wont budge. Various pipe work seems to be connected to both chassis and body along with the speedo cable. Any clues?

Paul

Re the pipework - yes it is stuck to both the chasis under the cabs and the body under the side tanks. Together round the problem I made a discrete cut to the pipework between the body / chassis which allowed the body to be removed.

Re-the speedo cable - the screw connecting it to the wheel has to be removed or again, a discrete cut in the speedo cable made which can be re-glued afterwards.

You need to be extremely carefull in handling the body / chassis as it is very easy to snap the pipework while disengaging the two, or even working on them. To make matters worse the pipework, being factory fitted is not available as a spare - if you break it you will need to repair it off your own back.

In short while Bachmann did a fine job in modelling the prototype correctly, it's a pig to take apart plus has LOTS of fragile detail. You tamper with it at your peril.

Edited by phil-b259

Once you do get them apart you will note a screw holding the body parts together which if undone allows the boiler , cab front and roof to be separated from the remainder of the body. If the loco is reassembled with that screw left out you will fine that only the front body fixing screw has to be undone and the boiler/cab front/roof assembly lifted off to allow access to the decoder socket and motor. The one problem that may arise is that a slight gap may appear between the roof and cab rear.

Its also interesting to note that the body parts screw is virtually above one in the chassis - it could be possible to redesign the model slightly with those made one long screw through the chassis into the body parts if Bachmann considered improving the model.