Problems find box files in Windows

PenrithBeacon

I downloaded the latest version of Templot yesterday to create a new track layout. Did that OK but I can't find the file using the Windows filestore manager. Templot tells me it's in Templot_dev/Boxfiles but Windows says not. I found it using the find file facility in Templot and dragged and dropped it into an email. Therefore I know it's there ie in Templot_dev/Boxfiles, but the Windows filestore manager is still not showing them. It is showing box files files from 2012/13.

I'm using Windows 7 Service Pack 1

Regards

• RMweb Gold

Hi David,

Sorry, I haven't the faintest idea what the Windows filestore manager is?

But you should be able to navigate to the C:\TEMPLOT_DEV\BOX-FILES\ folder in the usual Windows Explorer.

Or in Templot click Files > File Viewer menu item. Then on this dialog click the open folder in Windows button:

post-1103-0-27406000-1475186179.png

Alternatively if you click the show files button, all the files will be shown as screenshots, and you can click find under each one.

Or if you enter *.box in the Windows Start search box, Windows will find them all for you.

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

I wonder whether it's the "Virtual Store" that Windows uses where files aren't always where you think they are?

Hi Keith,

Possibly. I think those virtual folders, My Documents, My Photos, etc., are an abomination, and I have never, ever, made any use of them.

Martin.

David

I dont know if you got the answer, this is what I do to get to the box files to post

On the bottom task bar click on the button showing index cards

Click on Local disc C

Click on Templot Dev

Box files now on show

Thanks John,

That's what I do too. The problem the files aren't displayed. Or at least the files of the current version of Templot aren't displayed. Files from an older version current in 2012/3 are shown.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

That's what I do too. The problem the files aren't displayed. Or at least the files of the current version of Templot aren't displayed. Files from an older version current in 2012/3 are shown.

Hi David,

If the files are not there, there are only 2 possibilities:

1. You are looking in the wrong place.

2. You chose to save them somewhere else.

By default, files from the 5-year-old paid-for version of Templot are in C:\TEMPLOT\

By default, files for Templot2 are in C:\TEMPLOT_DEV\

Those are the default locations, you can of course save your Templot files anywhere you like on your computer.

regards,

Martin.

Hi David,

If the files are not there, there are only 2 possibilities:

1. You are looking in the wrong place.

2. You chose to save them somewhere else.

By default, files from the 5-year-old paid-for version of Templot are in C:\TEMPLOT\

By default, files for Templot2 are in C:\TEMPLOT_DEV\

Those are the default locations, you can of course save your Templot files anywhere you like on your computer.

regards,

Martin.

The files are in C:\TEMPLOT_DEV\ . Templot tells me so; but windows cannot see them. I suspect there is a compatibility issue between the version of windows you are running for your development work and Windows 7 Service Pack 1 which I'm using. It isn't a show stopper I can see the files using Templot.

Re the use of the word 'filestore'. This term and term 'filestore manager' were coined by the UNIX development team in the late 1960s. I first came across it when I was reluctantly posted onto the UNIX support team at BT in the early eighties. As UNIX became ubiquitous through the 80s so the terms in UNIX became common currency. It was still so when I retired (16 years ago today, happy retirement day David) and I suppose these UNIX terms might have gone out of use in the last 16 years, but given the widespread use of UNIX in its many forms I'm not sure.

I know your very busy, but if you could update the video on the creation of tandem turnouts and add a commentary I'd be grateful.

Regards

Unfortunately the "search facility" after XP OS appears to be worse than useless. If I ever want to find an image I find Picasa finds all, for documents etc then it's more of a detective job. I don't have a problem finding boxfiles etc as thankfully I know where they are kept even if windows doesn't.

Archived