RMweb

Photo`s from the 1980`s

All these photo`s taken at Chester.

post-24330-0-48923400-1476810622_thumb.jpg post-24330-0-03376300-1476809948_thumb.jpg

post-24330-0-10376700-1476809965_thumb.jpg post-24330-0-42359800-1476810643_thumb.jpg

post-24330-0-38105600-1476810006_thumb.jpg

post-24330-0-27864200-1476810025_thumb.jpg post-24330-0-50350100-1476810039_thumb.jpg

The Welsh Marches Pullman being piloted because of fire risk.

post-24330-0-99788400-1476810054_thumb.jpg

92220 Evening Star. We were invited to cross the tracks from the platform to take photographs.

post-24330-0-53623400-1476810069_thumb.jpg post-24330-0-65486600-1476810087_thumb.jpg

Peter

Wow fantastic pictures of Steamtown, thanks for sharing. They bring back so many memories. I loved going there as a kid(which was at least once a year as we lived in Kendal) Somewhere I have a pic of a 10yr old me stood in front of Mallard when it came to visit!

Wow fantastic pictures of Steamtown, thanks for sharing. They bring back so many memories. I loved going there as a kid(which was at least once a year as we lived in Kendal) Somewhere I have a pic of a 10yr old me stood in front of Mallard when it came to visit!

Some great pre NSE photos at Clapham. Many thanks for sharing them. Am interested to know what the unit in the distance to the left of the vep on the fourth photo down from the last batch. Is it a 302?

Certainly looks like one. Panto well in the centre, and a toilet in the 2nd coach. Were they overhauled at Eastleigh or elsewhere on the SR?

Some great pre NSE photos at Clapham. Many thanks for sharing them. Am interested to know what the unit in the distance to the left of the vep on the fourth photo down from the last batch. Is it a 302?

Thank you for your comments. I`m sorry, i know very little about Southern slam door stock. All this VEP CEP CIG business has me baffled. To me a cig is what you put between your lips and set fire to.

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Yep, really good to see these images from the past.

BNS shots really take me back to my spotting days there in the early eighties.

Anyone know what happened to the miniature railway stock at Steamtown shown above in post 27

Cheers,

Keith

Great stuff there Peter, I like the ordinariness of the Clapham photos.

There is nothing special happening, just BR going about it's business.

I particularly like the photos of the carriage sidings, although it is 'only' blue and grey there is plenty of interest to see.

That is the sort of atmosphere I appreciate when captured in model form,

cheers

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic pictures Peter, many thanks for sharing. Brings back happy memories and great detail for modelling. I recognise three of my friends on one shot. Myself and a colleague took a bus down to the London Transport Open Day, sleeping on it at night. The LT guys were very friendly and they let us have a go on the skid pan, then demonstrated how it should be done by taking two buses on the skid pan and skidding them round together! Afterwards they took us through Central London with us driving their RT. Great fun.

Can I ask are your photos slides or prints? How did you scan them in? I've got around 25,000 colour slides which I must scan when I get lots of time.

Great stuff there Peter, I like the ordinariness of the Clapham photos.

There is nothing special happening, just BR going about it's business.

I particularly like the photos of the carriage sidings, although it is 'only' blue and grey there is plenty of interest to see.

That is the sort of atmosphere I appreciate when captured in model form,

cheers

Thanks for the comments. It is much appreciated.

I noticed the links to your photo`s, so I will take a look at those.

Peter

Fantastic pictures Peter, many thanks for sharing. Brings back happy memories and great detail for modelling. I recognise three of my friends on one shot. Myself and a colleague took a bus down to the London Transport Open Day, sleeping on it at night. The LT guys were very friendly and they let us have a go on the skid pan, then demonstrated how it should be done by taking two buses on the skid pan and skidding them round together! Afterwards they took us through Central London with us driving their RT. Great fun.

Can I ask are your photos slides or prints? How did you scan them in? I've got around 25,000 colour slides which I must scan when I get lots of time.

I worked as a bus and coach mechanic/driver for 50 years, so when the open day was at the bus depot and the LT depot together it was too good to miss.

As for the scanning, I have an Epson 2400 scanner which I have had for 20 years. It will scan documents and prints and also has a holder for a negative strip and four mounted slides.

The software will switch between BW or colour negatives and slides.

The earlier pic`s are scanned from negatives which I was processing myself until I got a batch of film that had a deep red colour to the stock which gave a strange colour cast to the prints that I could not filter out properly.

Because of this and the amount of time needed to print 36 negatives, I switched to slides. When the film was processed it just needed mounting, but I had to get a projector to view them.

You will be able to see the difference in quality between the ones taken earlier with my first camera and the later ones when I got a new Olympus OM20.

If you only need to scan slides, there are scanners that only do this which will give better resolution than a general purpose one.

Peter

Archived