A Cartoon of Helston(ish)

Mulgabill

I did manage to reschedule Sunday to squeeze in visit to Thornbury show. It was a quick dash around, there when they opened, and back in time for the 2nd race at sailing.

Saw the excellent Peafore Yard, and there was a very good 7mm layout also, but I forget or didn't know its name. Was able to buy some scenic materials to keep the boss' tree production on track.

I have drafted an outline timetable/sequence and have worked approx half way through it. That includes having despatched the cws milk train to Pencarn, but not got the empties back yet. (I'm hoping it'll have a better loco on when it returns!)

So far so good, but I am finding a few runing problem's showing up. Why do they appear after about a years operating?

Not to worry, they'll get sorted sometime.

In the absence of any alternative suggestion theres a BR mk1 PMV attached to the next branch passenger departure, for the rabbits.

I did manage to reschedule Sunday to squeeze in visit to Thornbury show. It was a quick dash around, there when they opened, and back in time for the 2nd race at sailing.

Saw the excellent Peafore Yard, and there was a very good 7mm layout also, but I forget or didn't know its name. Was able to buy some scenic materials to keep the boss' tree production on track.

I have drafted an outline timetable/sequence and have worked approx half way through it. That includes having despatched the cws milk train to Pencarn, but not got the empties back yet. (I'm hoping it'll have a better loco on when it returns!)

So far so good, but I am finding a few runing problem's showing up. Why do they appear after about a years operating?

Not to worry, they'll get sorted sometime.

In the absence of any alternative suggestion theres a BR mk1 PMV attached to the next branch passenger departure, for the rabbits.

Hi Tony,

Good to see you again at the weekend, the 7mm layout was called Bakewell Street, a lovely layout indeed.Good luck sorting the running problems, always a sense of satisfaction when they have gone.

• 2 weeks later...

Computer still away so can't do photos yet.

The running problems have been temporarilly reduced, but I will need to dismantle the layout to come up with a more permanent solution. I will also need to do this to access the station buildiing side of the layout. However in the meantime I have got the shelves for that side made, and these will allow some progress with scenery for that side of the layout. But I cant start on that without having put on the attachment fittings.

Work that has been ongoing includes the platform end section made, to accept the 2 small sheds. The ratio small signal box tidied and placed at the platform end, with walkboards in front. A small piece of bank has been created between that and the loco shed, but not yet had any scenic treatment.

I have also made a converted barn, based on one at Slad Glos. Not for Rosies cider, but to represent a milk transhipment depot. It still needs bargeboards, weathering, and the facilities to load tankers. Helston didn' t have these facilities

Sorry got cut off in my prime, so I'll continue...

Helston didn't have milk facilities, they collect churns throughout a large area but then delivered them to Lostwithiel. I think its quite reasonable to conjure that the Helston area milk could easily have been despatched from Helston in bulk, with minimal transhipment facilities. That would also allow the Helston -Pencarne working (dreampt up by Andy Peters) as well as transfers to St Erth or Lostwithiel, perhaps. I'm open to suggestions for how to represent appropriate loading facilities, as I have no knowledge of milk processing. Otherwise I will work from my early workdays at an oil/chemical works.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the lap-top will need to be replaced, so the lack of photos will continue I'm afraid.

Milk facility has now been installed, but probably needs weathering a bit. Truthwell Halt is progressing slowly, and tree production is restarting, we will need a few more.

I need to chase up re windows in order to start the station building, but am finding this tricky on the tablet vs the lap-top. Hopefully will get sorted in the new year.

May I wish all a very happy christmas and the hope that the new year will be kind to your modelling efforts.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Seems like ages since I've updated this, for which I apologise profusely.

However there is at least some progress to report. Thanks to Jakub at LC Creative, I now have have a full set of doors and windows correct for a model of Helston station. Plus GW Canopy Valences, and for good measure he also produced a set of 4mm plans, to get me round the abscence of my computer.

This collection arrived on Tuesday, and construction started Wednesday. To date I have cut out all building parts, cut ou window / door appertures, produces quoins and window / door arches, and applied these to walls, along with cills.

1st of the 3 boxes which will make the whole building has just been assembled, and is drying. Obviously the other 2 will follow. These will be covered with modelling clay, and the stone courses scribed on. I will have to improve my techniqe to get dressed stone for the station, as opposed the the randome nature of the goods shed and loco shed.

Looking at some photos throws up a question re colours for window etc. My recollection of BR (W) would be Brown for doors and cream for frames & windows. But photos seem to suggest a more elaborate scheme, although they are not so clear as to be convincing. Does anybody have a view which might disuade me from the slightly simpler version?

Trees continue to progress and Truthwell Halt is slowly evolving. The bungallow is also gradually being bedded in, trouble is I could really do with another one for the other side of the road!

Will update building progress asap, (i've surprised myself with the rate of progress so far).

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

There has been further slow progress of late, but I currently have to fit around some 12" to the foot work on a farmhouse. (And I'm not allowed to bodge that one).

As for modeling, last weekend we visited the Calne show, where we met up with my brother/sister in law. I also couldn't resist a couple of unplanned purchases. A Western National bus -very appropriate as most pictures show one in the station forecourt. Helston was of course the original location for the GWR road motor service, which laterly became Western National. Also acquired was a blood n custard Hawkesworth full brake. This will be really usefull on milk train workings, and also to supplement for parcels traffic and reduce the reliance on the ex LMS brake which I recently bought. I also picked up a right hand point as theone into the back of the goods shed is unreliable, but will also be difficult to replace, so it may be a while before it gets fitted.

We then, after lunch, adjourned for a running session. This was both interesting and eventful. Unfamiliarity with the traverser resulted in a rake of ex LMS non corridor coaches toppling off the back line and falling down the back of the bed below. Fortunately no seious damage was done, except that as a permanently coupled rake the loss of a plastic coupling retaining clip is a slight problem. It was however good to see how the layout performed, as its been some while since I'd tried due to the work clutter that had accumulated. I did conclude that my brother was not a fan of the wagons that only had 3 link couplings.

The station building now has all the walls rendered with scribed modelling clay, next step is to build up the raised plinth around the base, and integrate the door openings and window cills. I will also have to paint the windows and doors, and in the abscence of any advice on here, I will probably paint yhe doors all brown with the frames an windows cream.

Hopefully more progress through the week this week

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I had hoped to be bringing good news with this post, but whilst its not altogether bad its not as good as I'd hoped.

Thats quite a cryptic start, I hope thats got you're attention!

I now have a replacement laptop. (thats the good bit). The plan was to swap the hard-drive from my old one into

this one, and carry on. BUT apparently it couldn't be done although they are the same model. So plan B was to keep nthe old drive

in a usb case, and read it through the replacement laptop. Trouble is whilst it recognises that its there, it doesn't show it as a valid source, so I cant access

all my old data. Nor does it seem to recognise the card slot, so I can't load the new photos from the camera!

Thats all a long way round saying I still cant share progress with you my readers, in the way we would all like - pictures.

The station building is now quite near completion, the roof is done, and I am about to do some of the finer bits of the canopies. In fact this post is probably

a bit of prevarication as I feel the next steps could go easily go wrong.

There has also been some progress on generall scenery, i.e. trees, And I have also ripped out the bits of platform I had made, and started on improved (more correct height) replacements/ In fact the faces have been made, and scribed clay applied, a grey wash has also been applied.

Next will be a platform surface, which prompts another of my queries.

.    What size would be appropriate for platform paving stones? My thought is probably 3' x 2' with possibly 2' x 2' along the front edge.

Does that sound right? Does anybody know?

I'll be trying to find somebody more IT savvy to get me out of the current hole, and I'll see if I can get my Brother to send some photos from his last vist, in the hope that I can post them.

Otherwise you'll have to come to Taunton Swag do to see (as long as I don't get cold feet).

Hold the front page - I've got some pictures!

As promised last time I've leant on my brother (Rob) to actually download the photos he took recently. I have re learnt how to get them

onto here, so will post a random selection here.

You may recognise some bits I've already mentioned, and bear in mind that some bits will already have changed in the intervening period.

In not particular order a few tasters:

post-25234-0-99965800-1488020150.jpg

post-25234-0-64536800-1488020198.jpg

post-25234-0-35388200-1488020224.jpg

post-25234-0-30311000-1488020281_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-20936800-1488020385.jpg

Thats a start, and I'll try and put up some more soon. In the meantime please comment ar ask any questions. I'd love a bit more

2 way dialogue on here.

All the best

TONY

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Hold the front page - I've got some pictures!

As promised last time I've leant on my brother (Rob) to actually download the photos he took recently. I have re learnt how to get them

onto here, so will post a random selection here.

You may recognise some bits I've already mentioned, and bear in mind that some bits will already have changed in the intervening period.

In not particular order a few tasters:

attachicon.gifIMG_2094.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2095.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2096.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2097.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2109.jpg

Thats a start, and I'll try and put up some more soon. In the meantime please comment ar ask any questions. I'd love a bit more

2 way dialogue on here.

All the best

TONY

Good to see you back in action Tony.

More good news!!!

A visit from my son in law (Tim) to try and help with the ongoing computer issues had partial success, this morning. Whilst I still dont have a printer working, nor can I yet access the data on the old hard drive. he did find me a  way to download  photos from the camera.

This I have subsequently done, and as I kept an SD Card solely for my model railway photos, that means I should be able to get all the pics I need.

By way of celebration I'll share some more from my brothers visit, as they are already resized. Then over the coming days I'll try to get the story up to date.

post-25234-0-22469100-1488112546.jpg

post-25234-0-25120200-1488112559.jpg

post-25234-0-28827800-1488112583.jpg

post-25234-0-21071700-1488112650.jpg

post-25234-0-26726600-1488112614.jpg

post-25234-0-70044300-1488112628.jpg

post-25234-0-70546300-1488112694.jpg

post-25234-0-95986100-1488112723.jpg

post-25234-0-06289900-1488112746.jpg

Thanks for the prompt responses to yesterdays posting, its good to know Helstonish isn't forgotten.

Stu your hint is very valid, and will be attended to, when I get round to also trimming the point operating wires, which trip up my Ivatt 2mt tank. But perhaps theres a message there!

As ever please jump in with any hints, tips or queries.

Back soon

post-25234-0-81931500-1488112684.jpg

• Like 10

Looks like the lap-top will need to be replaced, so the lack of photos will continue I'm afraid.

Milk facility has now been installed, but probably needs weathering a bit. Truthwell Halt is progressing slowly, and tree production is restarting, we will need a few more.

I need to chase up re windows in order to start the station building, but am finding this tricky on the tablet vs the lap-top. Hopefully will get sorted in the new year.

May I wish all a very happy christmas and the hope that the new year will be kind to your modelling efforts.

As you may note at Xmas I reported on the Milk Transfer facility. (above).

I thought I had some pics of the build process, but seemingly not. So what follows are views of it in place on the layout. Hopefully you can get bthe gist of the set up. There are 3 loading points at groundlevel.

post-25234-0-43548900-1488205925.jpg

post-25234-0-66502100-1488205984.jpg

post-25234-0-91194000-1488206024_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-49638000-1488206036.jpg

Apolgies for the poor focus of the last photo.

post-25234-0-40594100-1488206051.jpg

More to come, comments welcomed.

• Like 7

Well my last post stirred up a storm of.......... apathy.

I'll try to make some redress here, but first should say that nobody should worry. The works train shown was, in fact, engaged in replacing the dodgy point at the goods shed exit. This has now been done, although not painted or ballasted. I'm also aware that one feed wire has become detatched below the board, and the frog polarity lead got lost through the board. Therefore we now have all soldered above ground level, but work need to be completed below, which in turn needs the boards to be separated. That may have to wait until nearer the SWAG trip in April.

To carry on with the catch up photo wise following are some pics of the station build, starting on 11th Jan and progress 'till 16 Jan.

post-25234-0-45193800-1488721690.jpg

post-25234-0-01506500-1488721712.jpg

post-25234-0-99437800-1488721726.jpg

post-25234-0-53925600-1488721737.jpg

post-25234-0-13443500-1488721756.jpg

post-25234-0-90029700-1488721768.jpg

post-25234-0-49764400-1488721781.jpg

As ever comments or queries welcomed, and more to follow shortly, if you like these.

• Like 6

Looks good are you using foamboard for the shell. I must admit your previous post I thought you where modelling a late years Dursley goods. Well done maybe later this year a second railway will be built in Dursley once i have sorted the loft out......

Keith HC

Looks good are you using foamboard for the shell. I must admit your previous post I thought you where modelling a late years Dursley goods. Well done maybe later this year a second railway will be built in Dursley once i have sorted the loft out......

Keith HC

No mostly mounting board. The quoins (is that the right term) is porridge box card.

What you see is at a part built stage. Its subsequntly covered with moddelling clay and scribed.

I'll post more soon.

That Building looks superb Tony, Well done mate.

Thanks Andy.

When I'd got to that stage I was on the verge of offering to do a brick version for BV, but you had a wobble, and my progress slowed somewhat so I'm glad I didn't jump too soon.

And by the way could you let me know where you got your station totem signs, I lost my saved link along with the old computer!

All the best

• Like 1

Thanks Andy.

When I'd got to that stage I was on the verge of offering to do a brick version for BV, but you had a wobble, and my progress slowed somewhat so I'm glad I didn't jump too soon.

And by the way could you let me know where you got your station totem signs, I lost my saved link along with the old computer!

All the best

The Station Signs came from Station Signs, Tony

If you can stand the excitement, here are a few more pics.

The next stage of the Station Building:

1)  The 3 units assembled

post-25234-0-16739500-1488809607.jpg

2) and placed in their "proper positions"

post-25234-0-15798300-1488809622.jpg

post-25234-0-59181800-1488809633.jpg

3)  Separated and modelling clay applied/scribed.

post-25234-0-51775900-1488809645.jpg

post-25234-0-50628500-1488809665.jpg

4) Sprayed with primer prior to fitting doors/windows

post-25234-0-65230300-1488810084_thumb.jpg

This stage did see a real slow down in progress, and did suffer a little from

bowing of the sides. But real stonework isnt perfect, and this is a cartoon!

More soon

• Like 7

Just had another look Tony, :O  You need to get a move on mate, :sungum: there's a Milk Train on it's way from Trewithen to Helston Dairies very soon, hhahahhah :no:  :no:  :no:

At the rate you find new traffic flows, I'll have to flatten the goods yard, to make way for the required expansion of milk facilities.

Many thanks for your kind thoughts and encouragement.

• Like 1