A Cartoon of Helston(ish)

Mulgabill

Give me some sizes to work from and I'll see how we arrange it!

The sizes for Helstonish are   3600mm x 2400mm  L shaped or 4860 x 1000 straight.

This includes a small (quite unstable) 3 road fiddle yard, which would be to the right when viewed as normally set up at home. However this fiddle yard

is a substitute for an 8' semi fixed one at home.

I'm reasonably happy to stick with the current plan, as it does allow the FY to be in the safest position (left hand end, up to wall. It will also allow

us a different view of the layout. It s just not as presentable as a designed exhibition layout.

What I will do is check that it will work in straight form over the weekend, and will shout (on here) should I find any problems.

(I'm not sure how it was that the floorplan passed me by until this Weds).

As has appeared in this thread before DONT PANIC, and I'll try not to.

TONY

• Like 1

I've got an either/or planned out now Tony so as you say, DON'T PANIC! Just let me know which works best for you.

Andy please panic a little.

I've had Mrs MB doing some heavy lifting. Now we've moved the layout to "try" fitting the bridge piece in straight mode - the tracks don't align. And as its a curve

I can't simply adjust as the radius will be unworkable.

If as you say you've a plan B which allows us 2400 width can we go that way?

Sorry to cause these problems, if its difficult let me know and I'll have a go at engineering a new "bridge"

TONY

Feeling a bit behind now having had a cold over the weekend which inhibited progress.

Cheered myself up this afternoon by testing locos that I might take. Almost the first running I've done in the last month, and that was done on my little 3 road fiddle yard.

The prototype Helston was notable in that it could be covered with just 45xx and D63xx, but that would be a bit repetitive.

Question is, have I got carried away?

I think 12 steam and 9 diesels found their way into my boxes, and I told Rob he could bring a couple of later (blue) diesels as well!

Mind you if it does all work, and I'm not getting too much adverse comment, then we'll have fun. And at least we should be able to find motive power for the full service.

TONY

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I could get away with 1 loco for TF.  I've got at least 3 green diesels, 4 blue ones, a couple of GWR steam and a couple of BR steam.

Then there's the DMUs (blue/grey and green). 

Plus the Wickham trolley.

I'll need some wagons, too....

• Like 1

I could get away with 1 loco for TF.  I've got at least 3 green diesels, 4 blue ones, a couple of GWR steam and a couple of BR steam.

Then there's the DMUs (blue/grey and green). 

Plus the Wickham trolley.

I'll need some wagons, too....

Oh should I pack some more wagons?

TONY

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Coal wagons, open wagons, sheeted open wagons, cattle wagons, broccoli wagons, beer wagons, parcels vans, fish vans, guards vans, plain vans, vented vans, oil tankers, tar tankers, milk tankers.

You probably won't need clay wagons (of any sort).

HTH.

Coal wagons, open wagons, sheeted open wagons, cattle wagons, broccoli wagons, beer wagons, parcels vans, fish vans, guards vans, plain vans, vented vans, oil tankers, tar tankers, milk tankers.

You probably won't need clay wagons (of any sort).

HTH.

Don't know that I can cover quite that list, especially as one concious decision I made was to only take stock with tension lock couplings.

Not sure we would cope with 3 link without a lot more practice. But that does mean my UD tankers and 16t minerals can't go.

I have re-fitted couplings to 9680 and the critical 2 stone (serpentine) hoppers.

TONY

Oh should I pack some more wagons?

TONY

Eer haveing just read this. Shall I stash my wagons out of sight whilst your storing your layout over night Saturday in my house then ?

Worried of Combe Florey.

Eer haveing just read this. Shall I stash my wagons out of sight whilst your storing your layout over night Saturday in my house then ?

Worried of Combe Florey.

I shouldn't worry - there is only 1 siding plus a goods shed loop, and the fiddle yard only has 3 short roads.

I suspect I'm already bringing more than a "proffessional" exhibitor would carry around.

Thanks TONY

Thats it!

12hrs work yesterday, and 2hrs this afternoon, giving the roofs a quick coat of paint, and Helstonish is as ready as its going to be.

A couple of quick pics show it now, in the tidy version of the kitchen, which it has occupied since easter.

post-25234-0-66846500-1493312090_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-53890500-1493312193_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-68344600-1493312277_thumb.jpg

The last show up a problem with the platform, which I only spotted yesterday.

But it is a work in progress, and a solution will be found, just not before the outing to SWAG.

I'm just hoping that I don't forget anything, that I get to chat to some nice people, and learn a bit.

If I'm really lucky somebody might see some potential here, and perhaps the follower could go up, it would be nice to get

a bit more dialogue going on here.

So tomorrow it will be pack it all in the van. If that goes well it may be followed by a visit to the Bristol Exhibition,     if I'm brave enough.

Then a relaxed (?) journey to Somerset, for a bit of old fashioned trainspotting.

Fingers crossed, and hopefully I'll report back next week with some better photos.

TONY

Edited by Mulgabill
  • Like 2

Hi

Is break a leg the right phrase????

It's looking great....

I'm sure all will go wonderfully.......Just remember......you're amongst friends who are all nice people......

Look forward to the report of the great day in due course.....

Just sorry I can't be there as sadly I'm working......

Cheers Bill

Yesterday was the big day!

Helstonish journeyed to Taunton for the SWAG event. We did have a few problems traveling down, when one of the large scenery pieces came loose in the van. Some, but not too much damage done. (The journey home was much less eventful).

What an enjoyable day, so friendly, and busy. So busy I didn't spend anything. So busy, my brother ended up doing virtually the whole days running. So busy I didn't manage to get my camera out, until we had started packing up. Even now its still buried so I don't even know what half dozen photos I grabbed.

Fortunately Bobs into photos (usually current mainline), so managed about 40 through the day.

We did manage to work through most of the (too much) stock we took. From mid 50s to mid 70s (i.e. 15 years after Helston closed).

Below are a selection of the steam era, I'll catch up with later periods through this week. Starting with some views we've not seen before.

post-25234-0-95532800-1493660957_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-15984700-1493661011_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-59632700-1493661052_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-04950800-1493661098_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-96074900-1493661150_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-21955000-1493661214_thumb.jpg

This is close to the picture I had in mind all the while I was building these cottages -

post-25234-0-86928400-1493661260_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-19045900-1493661366_thumb.jpg

I'm sorry I got into the background of afew of those, I hope it didn't spoil your day!

I'll make a few more comments as I bring more photos later, but I'll end now with a big thumbs up!

:derisive: :derisive: :derisive: :derisive: :derisive:

TONY

• Like 9

Hi Tony,

it was good to see Helston(ish) at Taunton, it is a lovely atmospheric layout.

I had a great day out and enjoyed the chat with you and Bob,

cheers

Kevin

Chapter 2 of the tales of Helstonish's expedition.

I have just got the layout boards from the van and into the house. That means I have accessed my camera, which really only has pics for the record, not for dwelling over.

1st up a couple of the loaded van prior to departure:-

post-25234-0-57492500-1493743400_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-34185900-1493743478_thumb.jpg

The layout as set up, featuring my brother Bob and Kevin (Rivercider) deep in discussion of the intricacies of 80s period workings.

Thanks Kevin for your kind comments, they sent me to work today with a smile on my face. Exactly what I had hoped somebody might say, entirely fits my ethos.

post-25234-0-59363300-1493743751_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-68022800-1493743840_thumb.jpg

What I still think will be the best view on the layout, but I've not caught it here. And it won't be possible to get normally at home.

post-25234-0-36422400-1493744043_thumb.jpg

You can tell this was grabbed at packing up time, we'd got to Blue Cl 25s, having started with small praries. Shows the milk transhipment depot, and goods shed quite well also.

post-25234-0-12621200-1493744217_thumb.jpg

Thanks also to Bill (Treggyman) for your post. It was so enjoyable, and apart from a few niggles generally went well. I won't miss the stress of errecting / dismantling with Mrs MBs assistance. I could have done without bits of scenery doing an impression of a spacewalk around the van. And that both pannier tanks decided to be uncooperative was dissapointing, especially as I had deliberately tested all the locos before packing. (But then again we did have plenty of alternatives).

I'll be back again soon with more of my brothers pics, but please anybody feel free to comment, query, or make suggestions. I know we passed this audition, but now Helstonish needs to develop into something even better, but I'll need to some help to get it right.

TONY

edited to correct Kevins name (not Keith! - Doh  Sorry).

Edited by Mulgabill
  • Like 5

Hi Tony

Nice pics.......

I would agree that the view of the whole layout from the front left looks really good.....

It's bigger than I had imagined from your previous posts......

Everyone who shows their layout has the occasional problem & the fact your layout ran well shows it's well built......

Again glad you enjoyed yourself....That's what it's all about & look forward to further developments......

Hopefully will get to see it live one day....

Cheers Bill

Chapter 2 of the tales of Helstonish's expedition.

I have just got the layout boards from the van and into the house. That means I have accessed my camera, which really only has pics for the record, not for dwelling over.

1st up a couple of the loaded van prior to departure:-

The layout as set up, featuring my brother Bob and Keith (Rivercider) deep in discussion of the intricacies of 80s period workings.

Thanks Keith for your kind comments, they sent me to work today with a smile on my face. Exactly what I had hoped somebody might say, entirely fits my ethos.

I'll be back again soon with more of my brothers pics, but please anybody feel free to comment, query, or make suggestions. I know we passed this audition, but now Helstonish needs to develop into something even better, but I'll need to some help to get it right.

TONY

Well, I don't think you have caught my best side, and that is not a skirt I am wearing!

I am glad you and Bob enjoyed the day, I certainly did,

cheers