Waggon und Maschinenbau railbus

JZ

• RMweb Premium

One of the nice things about this sort of forum is the way it reveals the diversity of aspirations of different modellers of a particular product.

Good engineering design, including design for manufacture and design for maintainability, is an art bounded by science and economics. A manufacturer can clearly choose to minimise the cost of their initial design effort, and spend relatively more on cheap Far-Eastern labour to assemble a relatively complex design, without making much difference to final retail price.

Those different aspirations will make it hard for any manufacturer to please everyone. Nevertheless, a manufacturer may find it difficult to obtain repeat business from customers who paid for such design economies (revealed by a manufacturing error such as incorrect lubrication) with their first purchase.

• RMweb Premium

Bought one today from my local supplier, I could not resist (even though I am a 7mm modeller primarily) and I will be modelling a small halt on the Maldon line for this bus, having said that I am so impressed with the model itself I shall excuse problems of fitting a DCC sound chip, all good fun really.

What I will not excuse is the fact it runs beautifully in one direction and like a drunken sailor in reverse, it lurches at slow speed....very dissapointingly.

I will ask for a replacement and keep fingers crossed that runs as well in both directions.

David - you might want to try my tip above (Post No. 228, second bullet point): I found that the lurching is caused by one of the two gearboxes, and by removing one gear the lurching is eliminated. This means that only one axle is driven, but the railbus still runs perfectly.

• RMweb Premium
David - you might want to try my tip above (Post No. 228, second bullet point): I found that the lurching is caused by one of the two gearboxes, and by removing one gear the lurching is eliminated. This means that only one axle is driven, but the railbus still runs perfectly.

I am pretty sure your correct as it "feels" as if it could be a gear problem as I can hear an uneven note as the bus runs in the problem direction but sounds smooth and even run in the good direction.

Having said that I feel that a new item should run perfectly up to expectation right out of the box, and if we do not return or make manufacturers aware of these irkesome problems then QC will never get better.

I appreciate the tip though, thank you.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Thanks `Western Australia`..I`ll take that as a huge compliment as it started life as a three bob Airfix kit.

Built on a heavy gauge brass floorpan for rigidity and weight..earlier bodies bowed in the middle..and fitted with a Hollywood Foundry chassis from down under..a fantastic sweet running unit with a mashima and flywheel and driven through two gearboxes to all wheels.

Completed with a Branchlines interior and airbrushed etc.

I originally built it on a Branchlines chassis but it is almost impossible to get satisfactory pick up and running with it and the Hollywood Foundry chassis is in a different league so the Branchlines confined to the scrap bin.

It presently runs on our `Alloa` finescale layout where there is a need for a railbus for the period modelled.

I would think it may be retired when the Heljan offering is available and was not envisaging it to be still in service on Alloa at present but with no sign of the Heljan it may appear at a few more shows yet.

I think it still looks pleasing although could probably do with a touch up of the paint and lining but there is really only so much you can do with what was originally a very cheap and basic plastic kit. It first appeared over 40 years ago and to be the basis of a model good enough to grace a finescale layout is remarkable I suppose.

Thanks again

Dave

No problems Dave, it really does look very good! I have a similar model powered by a scratch chassis with an XT60 motor. Tends to scream a bit...!

It may get replaced when/if the Heljan model becomes available.

Cheers, Peter C.

Guest jim s-w

A fault is when something isn't assembled or doesn't work as designed. Poor design is something different. The distinction here is if you pay top end money you really should get top end design, faults are unacceptable regardless of the price!

Cheers

Jim

• Like 2

post-2371-0-74929800-1340638720_thumb.jpg

No problems Dave, it really does look very good! I have a similar model powered by a scratch chassis with an XT60 motor. Tends to scream a bit...!

It may get replaced when/if the Heljan model becomes available.

Cheers, Peter C.

Hi Peter

I think the next offering will be an AC which will also suit our layout/period so will certainly purchase one but if the Park Royal is at the end of the queue for production you could fit the Australian chassis to your existing..you won`t be dissapointed their engineering is superb.

Attached another pic ..with battle scars on lining where it failed to bounce when dropped!

Don`t know if you receive Hornby Mag over there.. `Alloa` was featured in the June issue..12 pics including cover..fame at last!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Now that you have had your W&M railbuses for some time has anybody found anymore 'mods' that can be done to them or are they more or less correct, apart from the need to add a crew and curtains the only other thing I can see from previous posts is the size of the air horns, Does anybody make a suitable replacement unit ?

Steve.

Possible tweaks

I suppose the addition of classic oil lamps for the tail light might be one to add (easily available to wire in)

Silver on the handrails on the seats.

• RMweb Premium

Now that you have had your W&M railbuses for some time has anybody found anymore 'mods' that can be done to them or are they more or less correct, ... ?

The last few pages of this thread read like a catalogue of faults and I wish a few more people with satisfactory models could say how happy they are. From what I remember the manufacturer could not find room let the passengers have feet. This might be relevant if you want to look at the interior detail you add.

I sold mine in an online auction in mid-April, it made just under £70 as a runner with damage. I will look at this manufacturer again if they tackle something a bit more challenging e.g. perhaps some outside valve gear.

Possible tweaks

I suppose the addition of classic oil lamps for the tail light might be one to add (easily available to wire in)

Silver on the handrails on the seats.

Thanks for that AMJ, I have painted the seat handrails this afternoon.

As for the tail light, when these units ran onto depot and had to reverse, within the confines of the yard, would the tail lamp still need to be on the rear of would the driver/shunter not worry ?

As for the running of my one, it has now got a DCC chip and is a very smooth performer.

Regards,

Steve.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

They are, the Hattons LMS Garratt lots of valve gear on that.

For the record mine runs superbly.

I did not know about the Garratt but I have found a copy of the Hornby magazine for June 2012, which carries a six-page article. I have also listened to the painful explanations of a model shop owner who had to provide support to buyers of a class 17 model. The Garratt could provide a wonderful spectacle on larger exhibition layouts, and the marketing method using a single model shop seems a sensible approach in case there are returns from customers. It would allow fitting of DCC before sale too. And of course I am glad to hear of a well-running railbus.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Alston was the nearest they got, and then only briefly.

H'mm as a committed borders modeller that could just be enough!

-its amazing that prototypes such as this are being manufactured, along with several smaller classes of early diesel.

I think before we criticise the examples which have poor running - the same comments have been levelled at the Bachmann 03

- yes they should be checked & right - but what percentage of bad runners are we talking about here - is it quality control or transit damage?

- the more worrying factor in these days of small runs is not being able to return for an exchange, it's likely that a certain model may sell out before the 'duds' can be returned for exchange? admittedly this is a bigger problem in smaller classes as a refund or exchange for different model may not be of any use to the purchaser.

• 2 months later...

I read that there is to be another run of railbuses from Heljan, but though I would dearly love one, at £600+, not a hope in hell of owning one!

I hope that's the price of the O gauge one you're talking about and not the OO gauge one!