Oswestry in 0 gauge? Selling up instead....

coachmann

I think you may find that the handrails should bend out to clear the top feed pipe where it comes down over the tank by the cab. It may be that the handrail knobs are too long, therefore allowing the clearance without the prototypical avoidance bend.

It also may prove that it would be too much work to change all for the sake of a little bend in the handrail.

Is this better ?

post-14569-0-43041600-1477565988.jpg

post-14569-0-11460500-1477565989.jpg

The existing handrail knobs were far too long (top), giving a distance of 4mm from centre of handrail to tank side - nearly a scale 7".  The replacement knobs are shown below.  Don't ask me where I got these from, I must have had them "in stock" for 20 years or more !

post-14569-0-32714200-1477565991.jpg

post-14569-0-62759100-1477565992.jpg

post-14569-0-01437200-1477565994.jpg

The handrail was made in two halves joined at the front centre knob.  Getting the bends right was testing and its certainly not perfect, but I think its reasonably satisfactory.

There is plenty of room in the front boiler section for the decoder and speaker, etc.  Access was gained by removing the upper part of the plate separating it from the motor/gearbox space. 

post-14569-0-55498700-1477566002.jpg

post-14569-0-61543300-1477566009.jpg

The chimney hole was drilled through into the boiler section so that some of the sound should come out of where its supposed to.

Maximum (stall) current was measured at just over 1 amp, so it should be within the capacity of the intended Zimo MX645 decoder.

Nice job on the hand rail.  On my current build 14XX (Modern Outline Kits) I forgot that the handrail has to be threaded on the handrail knobs before they are fitted onto the boiler/smokebox.  As Homer would say, "Doh!"

The smokebox bend for the 14XX is quite different:

post-20733-0-43013200-1477570366_thumb.jpg

The nice thing about tank engines is that there is plenty of room for bass reflex speaker(s) in the tanks and the sound does appear to come from the "right place".

Wow thanks Philip PHG.  I cannot thank you enough for offering to do this job while the loco was at your home having sound fitted. The handrail is very neat (as expected) and the whole job looks a treat. This switch to 7mm has brought with it some unexpected benefits!  :imsohappy:

Wow thanks Philip PHG.  I cannot thank you enough for offering to do this job while the loco was at your home having sound fitted. The handrail is very neat (as expected) and the whole job looks a treat. This switch to 7mm has brought with it some unexpected benefits!  :imsohappy:

Not for  me it hasn't Larry, I just keep THINKING. :nono: :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  

PHG has done a cracking job with that one, I had the Bachmann Brassworks one and it ran a dream, what livery will you be doing it in?

BR unlined black. This SanCheng GWR Collett D127 brake third arrived today from Tower Models.  I have come late to these and most are sold out. Eye candy for those who like to look at nice models..... 

attachicon.gifWEB GWR D127 1.jpg

So much detail is incorporated it's amazing for the price....

attachicon.gifWEB GWR D127 3.jpg

The corridor side. The sides curved above the waist like a Mk.I coach, so I will strip it down to see what can be done....

attachicon.gifWEB GWR D127 2.jpg

Right everybody,

It is at this point now, where the 7mm section is going to launch stratospherically in quality once Coachman gets his mitts on 7mm brass coaching stock to paint and finish and posts the results on here!!!!

I just can't wait...................  :drag:

Jinty ;)

Please can you tell us how to go about painting these brass models Larry? I'm thinking in terms of dismantling, preparation, types of paint and how to apply and weathering if you are doing any! Any information gratefully received.

Thanks

Ed

This tip may be useful - posted with coachmann's approval !

For removing solder and scratches in awkward areas I use small pieces of wood about the size of matchsticks, with the end cut at 45 degrees and small pieces of fine wet & dry paper glued on.

post-14569-0-52609500-1477587813.jpg

The result is shown here on the bunker steps

post-14569-0-75454400-1477587811.jpg

Please can you tell us how to go about painting these brass models Larry? I'm thinking in terms of dismantling, preparation, types of paint and how to apply and weathering if you are doing any! Any information gratefully received.

You're all gentlemen and scholars. It is down for BR maroon but I'm in no hurry to put paint on it as I want to study the components and re-position the battery boxes etc. Yes, I'll photograph the coach as it goes along if it helps others.

There`s just something inheretly beautifully about a well made bare brass model........the railway sort of course!.

I`m loving the progress your making so far.

Regard`s,

Brian.

Oh my giddy Aunt..................................  :O  :O  :O

Beautiful Coachman, utterly beautiful, and it isn't finished yet!!!

You're telling me is isn't finished yet ha ha. I'm not moving those pesky footboards.....It'll be simpler to do musical chairs with the battery boxes and dynamo. In fact I've just done it!

I want a GWR D121 corridor brake third, it's a must for the Cambrian mainline, but it appears no one does it in etched brass.

Larry

I feel like I am attending a master class in coach building/painting. Please keep the posts coming! My Midlander rake is going to be be all carmine red and cream.

At the moment I am renovating a small cottage and my painting is 1:1 scale using Valspar acrylics. I have tried Frog tape, the green masking tape, it seems to work well on doors, windows, skirting boards etc. Have you tried it for your coach painting?

The Model Shop in Porthmadog has a miniature verson of Frog tape which may offer better control but it is only 3mm wide. Perhaps a combination of the two would work?

Larry

I feel like I am attending a master class in coach building/painting. Please keep the posts coming! My Midlander rake is going to be be all carmine red and cream.

At the moment I am renovating a small cottage and my painting is 1:1 scale using Valspar acrylics. I have tried Frog tape, the green masking tape, it seems to work well on doors, windows, skirting boards etc. Have you tried it for your coach painting?

The Model Shop in Porthmadog has a miniature verson of Frog tape which may offer better control but it is only 3mm wide. Perhaps a combination of the two would work?

I can't honestly say. I used Scotch drafting tape for years becasue of its very low tack properties, but it has finally run out and so I'm using some cheapo 'masking tape' from a bargain shop in Llandudno that the missus picks up. Also i have never sprayed acrylic paint and rarely enamel paint either.

The Model Shop in Porthmadog has a miniature verson of Frog tape which may offer better control but it is only 3mm wide. 

Yes I spotted that establishment on Wednesday when I was over there, the shop on the road out to Morfa Bychan just off the main street?

Is it any good, do they do much railway themed? I stopped even looking at the station shop as a mortgage would be needed.

Also i have never sprayed acrylic paint and rarely enamel paint either.

I use enamels mixed with celly thinners for weathering and smaller panels but prefer proper celly for main colours, as it is so much easier to work with, and more durable than most.

Jinty ;)

Jinty ;)

Yes I spotted that establishment on Wednesday when I was over there, the shop on the road out to Morfa Bychan just off the main street?

Is it any good, do they do much railway themed? I stopped even looking at the station shop as a mortgage would be needed.

I use enamels mixed with celly thinners for weathering and smaller panels but prefer proper celly for main colours, as it is so much easier to work with, and more durable than most.

Jinty ;)

Jinty ;)

The Porthmadog Model Shop is primarily for model soldiers, etc. but they do carry a few 4mm bits and pieces. I go there primarily for Humbrol paints and brushes. The lady there, Susan, has given me lessons in painting figures, selecting the right colours, etc. I am way down the learning curve but keen to improve so that I can do justice to Modelu's figures.

The Ffestiniog shop is a waste of time for models but they do have some good books on the Cambrian and Welsh NG, at a price.

My reference to Valspar acrylics is not model related, but for house painting nothing comes close in my opinion. As the old famly business in Birmingham sprayed with cellulose, including the classic Anglepoise desk lamp shades, I really should buckle down and do it right. So far I have resisted the challenge but that needs to be addressed. . . . One of the problems with Gauge O is that I need a larger spray booth!

Archived