Oswestry in 0 gauge? Selling up instead....

coachmann

That looks good Larry it is amazing what you can do in a small space with 0 gauge but as you have found out it does require thought /  cogitation as you so rightly  stated. I do think that a single or double slip could well add to the shunting puzzle with a kick back but that's my own thoughts. The split level idea is good and will add to the depth of field  which I have found works well in 0 gauge. 

Have a good (very good?) friend who could build you a three-way turnout for the sidings? Where space was at a premium this was very prototypical.

I can't disagree about a 3-way turnout, but if i eventually settle back on Oswestry it would serve no purpose. It may be noticeable that the track layout could serve Manorbridge or Oswestry if the latter lost its middle though road.

Okay, cogitated and got Manorbridge out of my system!  It's the bl**dy cold but Oswestry is now back with minor revisions. Tracks nearest the door could stand slewing over a bit to take them further from the edge of the baseboard, but it will all be sorted when track laying begins in earnest. I have elected to delete some of my Manorbridge episode to make the thread tidier....

attachicon.gifWEB Oswestry 1.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB Oswestry 2.jpg

Glad Os is back, I've sent you a PM.

Could you incorporate a shed scene into the fiddle yard area on the other side of the shed.

No. It was backlit and didn't work..  There would be even less possibility of a backscene up against the windows in 7mm. I'm keeping it all simple with just a four or five road fiddle yard. Trains will have to back into it off the main circuit. I think PGH will post a track plan here in due course.

• RMweb Premium

No. It was backlit and didn't work..  There would be even less possibility of a backscene up against the windows in 7mm. I'm keeping it all simple with just a four or five road fiddle yard. Trains will have to back into it off the main circuit. I think PGH will post a track plan here in due course.

I forgot about  the  window.

Went across to PGH's this afternoon to collect the Bachmann Brass LMS Ivatt Class 2 2-6-0 after he fitted it with Locoman sound for the LMS 8F. Boy, it sounds the business and we had it hauling coal empties around Phil's colliery layout. Like the brass GWR Pannier, it negotiated 3ft radius curves. Seeing as it is a toss-up which will be triggered first, Article 50 or my garden extension, I will probably lay 0 gauge around the existing 3ft radius garden loop just to get things running. I hope to take some video of my BR locos on Phil's layout this coming week.

I have to admit building my locos to negotiate 6 ft radius curves. The are a few reasons for this, but one that triggered the decision was the purchase of the Lee Marsh Jubilee. My completed kits so far are both of six coupled locos, LMS 4F and LMS Jinty, from Jim McGeown kits. I could have had them negotiate tighter curves but added the requisite axle washers/spacers to allow the brake shoes to be soldered in place in as authentic position as possible. With future models in the pipeline (the 4-4-0 LMS Compound and Original Patriot 4-6-0) the front bogie will need to be constrained in order to stop that "Hornby" look of too much daylight between frame and wheels.

This having been said, it is possible that my current build GWR 14XX 0-4-2T may be able to negotiate tighter curves. But again the main axles have spacers to help position the brake shoes. We'll see.

My overall point, though, is that the Jubilee has more or less set the governng rule.

• RMweb Gold

While it is possible to get all sorts of things round a 3ft curve Large 4-6-0s can look a bit ridiculous. My Tower King looks like the bogie has come adrift on those sorts of curves. Incidentally Castles seem more reluctant than Kings to go round tight curves I think it is to  do with the position of the bogies relative to the cylinders. My Bulldog will go round a 4ft curve or less but because the bogie is pivoted at the centre it doesn't look ridiculous doing so. Smaller tank locos look more natural on tight curves. Mind you I had to cut bits off the frame to get the Springside 45xx round a 5ft curve. The other thing with really tight curves is tryinng to run bogie coaches you can end up having to extend the screwcouplings.

The plan looks good to me. I see now why you have to back either in or out of the Fiddle yard. The same was true of Bracks fiddle yard which had to handle trains arriving or departing either way round the track. It did cause any problems but it was on a bigger curve. Your backing moves will be on 66in radius curves. Extra long vehicles (70ft coaches?) may need slightly oversize buffers if you get any trouble with buffer locking. Adding a continuous check rail can help on tight curves.

Don

It's a safe bet I won't be building a 70 footer in 7mm.  The thing about the Cambrian Mainline is its 3-coach trains; an attractive proposition for the space starved.

I agree with 4-6-0's and the like looking faintly ridiculous on 3' radius curves. It'll only be temporary until next March and as I only have a 2-6-0 and an 0-6-0PT, I very doubt if i will buy another loco before then ....unless I'm offered an seriously innexpensive Manor of course!

I've not built an 0 gauge coach before so the one on my WB at the moment is an interesting project. 

Guest Isambarduk

Only just caught up on this interesting thread, as I was away for most of October.

"The Tower Brass 8750 is neatly detailed but I considered the injector overflow pipes were too small in diameter....."

Oh yes!  I see that you have succumbed to the slippery slope of reworking RTR from the erstwhile Randolph stable.  Beware, it can take hold!

If you haven't already, have a quick look at www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/110275-reworking-a-san-cheng-tower-gwr-1361-0-6-0st/ and www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/101674-reworking-locos-from-finescalebrasssan-cheng-models/ if you want to see where all this can lead.    :warning: 

David

The latest version of the layout plan showing the main route now by-passing the front of the shed.

attachicon.gifLG O Scale Layout 3.jpg

A through station is proposed on the section at the bottom of the garden, which is in effect double track like the prototype Cambrian line south of Oswestry.  I have suggested basing it on Pant which was I think a delightful little station with only three buildings and (when I took the photos in 1962) no sidings.

attachicon.gif11.25BB.jpg

attachicon.gif11.26BB.jpg

attachicon.gif11.27BB.jpg

attachicon.gif11.28BB.jpg

I like the idea of adding Pant to the layout.  Yesterday I lavished upon myself a birthday present, Peter Johnson's The Cambrian Railways - A new History.  The Ffestionog Railway Shop at Porthmadog has 22 remaining copies, so if you hurry. . . . .

This is an excellent book though as always the emphasis seems to be on the coastal routes, not Oswestry.  There are only two photos of the Works though several of locos and coaches built there.  Photographs are nearly all from the pre-1922 rationalization era so hardly relevant to a BR layout but just having the history to hand is fascinating.  The double tracking south of Oswestry was entirely brought about by the local limestone quarries that contributed to extra traffic to Oswestry (I guess that some limestone trains would have gone to Gobowen and some to Whitchurch).

I've not built an 0 gauge coach before so the one on my WB at the moment is an interesting project. 

My detective work and reasonably good memory from reading this thread suggest this is a Sidelines kit.  I have so far constructed but not painted an LMS kitchen car and have another LMS coach to build.  I like Malcolm's approach and the kit prices are very good value in my opinion.  Access to the interior of the coaches is very easy, unlike your previous coach project.

• RMweb Premium

The latest version of the layout plan showing the main route now by-passing the front of the shed.

attachicon.gifLG O Scale Layout 3.jpg

Could you add a crossover to the left of the shed, where the two single lines converge? This would allow trains to depart from the shed and proceed in either a clockwise or anti-clockwise direction and thereby avoid the need to propel out of the shed. The converse applies for trains entering the shed.

Thank you Philip (PGH) for sharing your Oswestry photos on here and for making the garden plan. I had a quick look in the early hours of this morning but I to too knackered to post anything. I think the station at Pant is rather attractive and i may weel model this next year once everything is up and running. Other than wanting a station on the garden section, the only station I had considered was Carrog.  It's probably becasue I know it, I like it and it would be nice to have it closer to home haha.... 

Could you add a crossover to the left of the shed, where the two single lines converge? This would allow trains to depart from the shed and proceed in either a clockwise or anti-clockwise direction and thereby avoid the need to propel out of the shed. The converse applies for trains entering the shed.

It's an idea but it will lead to a return loop. Yes I know there are workarounds in DCC, but I prefer to keep things simple.

Following on from Ray H's comment a couple of posts ago, you'll have wrong-line running through Pant station when your trains are running in an anticlockwise direction.  I assume you've realised that already, or have a scenario in mind to explain it?  You hadn't mentioned it, coachmann: I hope you don't mind me doing so.

Rod

Following on from Ray H's comment a couple of posts ago, you'll have wrong-line running through Pant station when your trains are running in an anticlockwise direction.  I assume you've realised that already, or have a scenario in mind to explain it?  You hadn't mentioned it, coachmann: I hope you don't mind me doing so.

Rod

I see what you mean but it cannot be helped. I dont want a crossover in the open air. It is to be as simple as possible with the main operations taking part at Oswestry in the shed. A station outside in the garden would be merely something nice to have. Whichever external station is chosen will incur 'wrong line running' at some point.

H E L P !   Has anyone got close up photos of GWR battery boxes that went under mid to late 1930's 'Sunshine' Stock  These are the ones with small 'wings' in the bottom corners. A width and depth measurement would also be handy, as i could scale the rest off an image. There are restored carriages of the type on the SVR and I am hoping someone has taken photos of small items....

• RMweb Premium

H E L P !   Has anyone got close up photos of GWR battery boxes that went under mid to late 1930's 'Sunshine' Stock  These are the ones with small 'wings' in the bottom corners. A width and depth measurement would also be handy, as i could scale the rest off an image. There are restored carriages of the type on the SVR and I am hoping someone has taken photos of small items....

Have you looked on yhr GW (SVR)A website? http://www.gw-svr-a.org.uk/stock_list.html

I'm not around for a few weeks and GW2 which these coaches are not in as much use at this time of year so may well be in the carriage shed.

Archived