Oswestry in 0 gauge? Selling up instead....

coachmann

The beauty of leaving track lying loose on the baseboard for weeks on end has a lot going for it, as I am definitely not heading down the Welsh byepass of lay and rip-up in this scale. The preoccupation on this layout is the local goods and the first thing I think about when waking up in a morning is shunting.... Sad innit! On a severely abridged version of any station, there has to be restrictions and compromises and in my case an extra track in the yard on which to make up or dump trains has been found to be out of the question.

So I'm going to fly-shunt the brakevan down into the yard then leave the incoming wagons in the centre road between platforms. The loco and brakevan can then remove the wagons from the yard and dump them in either the up or down platform roads. Then the incomers can be fly shunted into the two sidings. This done, the brake will then be left in the middle road while the loco picks up the outgoing wagons and backs them onto the brake. The goods can then sit in the middle road and await the signal to Whitchurch.  I'm not going to say spit the pips out of that because I know the knowledgeable amongst you will tie me in knots haha...

• RMweb Gold

It can be very difficult trying to model the signal box of a real complex station to suit a model there may well be signals and turnouts off scene, some rationalisation of the layout may have been necessary to fit it in, further more in model use we may wish to make different use of the various lines which are not signalled on the prototype. My suggestion of a typical layout was something that for a casual glance would look fairly normal.

However for those that have an interest in the matters (including myself) it adds to things to work out an acceptable signalling plan for the layout as built  to run the trains as required, remembering that some moves can be authorised by hand signals. However the chap who just wants to run some trains in a reasonably realistic setting will probably not want to be bothered with all that. Model the bits you enjoy doing.

Real railways were apt to leave rakes of wagons on main lines quite often. The train frequency would be less than on most layouts so there would be time. Often the brake van would be left attached which would avoid problems with anything running away. Sidings have traps to prevent wagons running onto main lines for safety, with Fitted stock that would not be a problem.

Don

• RMweb Gold

A wee distraction to show I am looking at other options in case Oswestry doesn't work out. It is after all rather ambitious in 0 gauge and I struggled enough with it in 00.  I have had in mind a country station a lot like Carrog but with the goods yard behind the Down platform for ease of uncoupling wagons. Baseboard, motive power and coaching stock could remain the same as planned for Oswestry and the yard would give me a badly needed extra siding plus cattle dock on the Up side. The crossover to single track at the 'Corwen' end has been put inside the shed for convenience so the the stub is merely an overshoot. It could be on the Oswestry line or the Llangollen route. The latter is in Wales and Manorbridge might be Pont or BontManor, but I prefer the anglo name. Could even be Corwen North....... I'm merely chewing over the options.

attachicon.gifWEB Manorbridge plan.jpg

I think that you are wise to look at this as an alternative.

The other possibility is to model just one end of the station with a roadbridge or footbridge across the platforms providing the scenic break.

I rather like the centre siding as it adds a lot to operational possibilities. It would be a pity to lose it.

A wee distraction to show I am looking at other options in case Oswestry doesn't work out. It is after all rather ambitious in 0 gauge and I struggled enough with it in 00.  I have had in mind a country station a lot like Carrog but with the goods yard behind the Down platform for ease of uncoupling wagons. Baseboard, motive power and coaching stock could remain the same as planned for Oswestry and the yard would give me a badly needed extra siding plus cattle dock on the Up side. The crossover to single track at the 'Corwen' end has been put inside the shed for convenience so the the stub is merely an overshoot. It could be on the Oswestry line or the Llangollen route. The latter is in Wales and Manorbridge might be Pont or BontManor, but I prefer the anglo name. Could even be Corwen North....... I'm merely chewing over the options.

I like this very much Larry, and an over bridge at the Corwen / Left end would work perfectly, and the Stub is the ideal place to stick a Brake Van during the Shunt or to Store an Engineers Wagon between Duties etc.

Go for it.

I've have always thought Trevor between Ruabon and Llangollen would make an excellent model with heaps of shunting potential. It has a public goods yard, the Pontcysyllte branch, a private siding to a brickworks, and a compact station with overbridge scenic break at the east end.

post-13142-0-06466800-1478190705_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

BU66ER, I keep looking at YOUR Post #180, and thinking of my Trebudoc in ''O'' and before I pin any Track down on my Virging Timber?????

Carog in O ???????

attachicon.gifTrebudoc 10.jpg

Andy I would love to see an 0 gauge version of Carog done by you, but fear you wouldn't keep it for long. Mind you both you and Larry seem quite happy to rip thing up and start over and both of you do crack on with the replacement.

Don

Andy I would love to see an 0 gauge version of Carog done by you, but fear you wouldn't keep it for long. Mind you both you and Larry seem quite happy to rip thing up and start over and both of you do crack on with the replacement.

Don

I think your right Don about it not lasting long, besides, unlike Larry I have WAY TO MUCH STOCK to contemplate the change again, the last time it was from Modern Image / Kingsmill, and I was also running ''O'' on our Clubs Layout.

No I must be sensible and content myself with just looking in here for inspiration.

Then again, once I've got Willsbridge out of my system!!!! :nono:  :nono: :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :jester:  

Good evening Coachman,

Looking at your 'Manorbridge' plan, have you thought about making the bottom platform an island platform, with the linking point just outside the wall of the shed with the 'stub'.

That way you could pull a goods train into there and run round, then shunt the sidings as necessary. You wouldn't be conflicting with any passenger movements and any coupling/uncoupling would be well within arms reach (well apart from the cattle dock that is.......).

It may give some interesting operating possibilities.

Jinty ;)

Good evening Coachman,

Looking at your 'Manorbridge' plan, have you thought about making the bottom platform an island platform, with the linking point just outside the wall of the shed with the 'stub'.

That way you could pull a goods train into there and run round, then shunt the sidings as necessary. You wouldn't be conflicting with any passenger movements and any coupling/uncoupling would be well within arms reach (well apart from the cattle dock that is.......).

It may give some interesting operating possibilities.

Jinty ;)

I have done as you suggested but I'm afraid it takes up more room plus I am not keen on operations taking place out of sight. The plunge in temperature is putting me off spending time out there shuffling track around, in fact this conversion to 0 gauge has come at the wrong time in winter.   :training:

Have you considered using auto-couplings of some form or other? I still find 3 links a faff in 0 gauge and am tthinking hard.

Ed

The whole point for me of going 0 gauge after years of consideration are its closeness to the real thing, it's a sense of mass and weight, sprung buffers actually compressing when vehicles come together, couplings that are miniatures of real couplings, detail that is clear even to my eyes and track that is pretty close to 4' 8" so that when viewing locos from the front, the bogie wheels dont look ridiculously narrow gauge. The last thing I want is 'convenient modelling' auto couplings even though i accept Peco flange widths and the like. The hand in the sky coupling and uncoupling wagons doesn't bother me in the least. It's not new to me even though having my own 0 gauge layout is.

I'm happy building and painting things for the proposed layout and I'm in no hurry to lay track at this stage. In fact I have next Spring to look forward to doing that (I hope!).

Thermal Boots, Thermal coat and a heater.

Actually my mate is a Builder, and he has a jacket that is a form of Electric Blanket, he plugs it in, it warms up like an Electric Blanket and the he puts it on to work outside, (obviously AFTER unplugging it) and it stays warm for a couple of hours.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=mens+heated+jacket&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=89164975846&hvpos=1t2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8754728593070034892&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007139&hvtargid=kwd-3679238345&ref=pd_sl_9381yejasp_b

• RMweb Gold

Actually my mate is a Builder, and he has a jacket that is a form of Electric Blanket, he plugs it in, it warms up like an Electric Blanket and the he puts it on to work outside, (obviously AFTER unplugging it) and it stays warm for a couple of hours

TOG 24 have a battery powered version. So you charge the battery, plug it into the jacket, and switch on.

During that last war my father was given a USAAF air gunners heated flying suit. It was sheepskin lined and ran off 24 volts. He reckoned it was warm enough on the 6 volts his motor cycle battery developed as he was always at ground level.

Feeling the cold must be age related ask have found of late that going into the railway workshop much colder than previous years, and this is with an abode of far superior wall, roof and floor insulation. A1200 watt ceramic heater seems to do the trick, although track laying at ground level has currently lost it's appeal.

I agree with keeping all the turnouts in direct sight. The ones that are invisible are always those that cause the most trouble.

I have done as you suggested but I'm afraid it takes up more room plus I am not keen on operations taking place out of sight. The plunge in temperature is putting me off spending time out there shuffling track around, in fact this conversion to 0 gauge has come at the wrong time in winter.   :training:

I know how you feel. Cwm Bach and Tonfanau Camp live in the garage, which limits the amount of time I can spend on heavy track-laying and electrical work. Fortunately, I have plenty of small jobs that can be done on the desk indoors.

Regards,

Chris

Actually my mate is a Builder, and he has a jacket that is a form of Electric Blanket, he plugs it in, it warms up like an Electric Blanket and the he puts it on to work outside, (obviously AFTER unplugging it) and it stays warm for a couple of hours.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=mens+heated+jacket&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=89164975846&hvpos=1t2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8754728593070034892&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007139&hvtargid=kwd-3679238345&ref=pd_sl_9381yejasp_b

Maybe this is something model railway shops should consider stocking in the future  :jester:

You guys have got me wrong. I'm not that keen a modeller....

That said, i am now off to the shed with a piece of toast ooooozing with butter to re-shuffle the track as per that doodling with 'Manorbridge'.  I hope it doesn't work as it is depressing me now haha....

I think the answer to Oswestry's station building is a step & repeat chunk of lazercut.

It's not just the human that doesn't like the cold and moist ambience of the shed from November until April - the electric trains don;t like it, the woodwork doesn't like it, and the bass and amp really hate it.  

I think a heater on a timer is probably the only solution.... not sure SWMBO would agree

I have a small (supposed to be 1p per hour) heater panel on a timer in the winter, and just about 2 or 3 hours a night and with the insulation I have it keeps it nice and warm, My old Bass amp a Bass never suffered and neither do my Locos, BUT I thinks it's more down to the Thermal Insulation I've built in than anything else.

Surprise surprise, the track was shuffled about to the Manorbridge plan and it works albeit a bit squashed. I'll leave it like that for a while I cogitate....   :scratchhead:

attachicon.gifWEB Manorbridge plan 2.jpg

Deleting the yard head-shunt and using the main running lines instead would give longer sidings and more scope at the goods shed end...

attachicon.gifWEB Manorbridge plan 4.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB Manorbridge plan 5 jpg.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB GWR Buildings F.jpg

A slip point on the disings would allow you to keep the operational flexibility of head-shunt and longer sidings.

A slip point on the disings would allow you to keep the operational flexibility of head-shunt and longer sidings.

Funny you should mention that. It would replace a curved point but that wouldn't be a problem if things were altered beyond the slip. However, it is an extra 90-quid or so plus extra wiring. At the moment I am doing this to get Manorbridge out of my system..... :biggrin_mini2:

• RMweb Gold

It is always difficult when you have inspiration from a number of places. I would start by working out what trains you wish to run etc. and see which plan best fits them.

Don

It is always difficult when you have inspiration from a number of places. I would start by working out what trains you wish to run etc. and see which plan best fits them.

Don

That's exactly how I ended up with Willsbridge, I looked at the Stock I had and worked where they would have all run together, then re wrote the History to suit.

Archived