Oswestry in 0 gauge? Selling up instead....

coachmann

After starting to build a representative version of the Cambrian/GWR Oswestry Station in 00 gauge, I decided to build Oswestry all over again in 0 gauge.  However, I soon discovered i had neither the space in the shed nor the interest in building a large garden railway so this thread went nowhere in the end.

Question Larry.  Is your track bullhead?  I ask because mine is too but the only Peco rail joiners I can see (on the C&L site) are for FB rail.  I've ordered cast brass fishplates from C&L but I think joiners would make life easier.

John

• RMweb Gold

Having followed your posts through Greenfield on to Ellesmere/Oswestry I am looking forward to see what you manage in 7mm. I'm tempted to do a small private siding or similar in that scale, as I like the feel of the larger wagons etc. 

Hopefully you will still post some of your 4mm work if you do any 'manufacturing'. You've given me a lot of ideas on how to do little bits and pieces, and opened a whole new lot of possible train formations I hadn't thought of for my project.

Even when used to line up and connect rails, there remains room for accurate representations of fishplates. I just need to find some now.

Hi Coachman,

Welcome to the dark side!!!

As for representative fishplates, I have some C&L offerings you are welcome to, I seem to have acquired loads of them.

The C&L etched ones are here:   http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=395_396_540&product_id=3538

Like I said, once you start laying track, you're welcome to pop over and pick some up.

Jinty ;)

Welcome Larry ..... It's too tempting to resist isn't it ? Once I started looking at the 7mm stock the 4mm modelling just lost it's appeal to me, there is plenty of inspirational 7mm modelling on here to turn ones head, but it was Rod Morgan's West Kirby Town layout that did it for me, once I saw those Easybuild DMUs that was it I was hooked.

Enjoy the ride Larry, it will be great for me to follow another accomplished modeller to gain inspiration from.

I can see a North Wales 7mm group emerging here.

Best regards
Craig

I shall enjoy following this forum. I use points built from C&L parts. Hand-built track is not for everyone, but I do wish PECO would devise a more elegant solution than the coffins on the tie-bar; there's a limit to the places that they can be hidden under FPL covers.  

Hi Coach,

Narrow Planet do etched plates for GWR/BR(W) Panniers, as do Guilplates.

Narrow Planet have a website and Guilplates are via telephone and postal ordering.

Steve at Railtec has just started doing 3D printed plates, so it may be worth asking him if it's possible.

There are others such as Severn Mill, but I have no experience of these.

Jinty ;)

I couldn't see the new topic after 4mm was locked, then I remembered I had filtered out 7mm layouts.

So not only will I be following this thread I will now have lots of other 7mm projects in my feed.

Did you filter 7mm to stop temptation !!!!!

Good looking design that is, it will give you a lovely run and the ability to just watch the trains go by if you feel like it. Something that you can't always do in 7mm due to size constraints!! :locomotive:

I'm looking forward to seeing your take on the painting of the 8750PT, undoubtedly it will be exceptional.

Jinty ;)

Page 2 already, and all this while I was driving from Portmadoc to the Cotswolds.  Once again I failed to stop at Oswestry, but had an excellent breakfast at Rhug Estate near Corwen.

Your thread is now in the "to be followed" list.  My 14XX build can be found here, currently stalled for a month but it should be finished before Christmas.  I need an autocoach kit but don't know the diagram used for the Gobowen Rattler.  Does anyone have any idea for the late 1950s?  My prototype loco is 1459.

From a kit maker's point of view, Oswestry is well catered for in 7mm, with late LMS 2MTs and Standard tanks as well as the GWR types that were always on shed on late 1950s Sundays.  RTR is a little more constrained but one exciting future model will be the GWR mogul, a stalwart performer on the ex-Cambrian.

Just a thought for track design - have you considered using Templot?  Steep learning curve but excellent results can be obtained.

That's some garden railway your planning there Larry I presume SWMBO has given the layout planning consent . What you now need is a good head gardener to produce the scenery and foliage ...... any offers yet ???? :jester:  :jester: 

It is a good breakfast at the Rhug Estate though you should be moving up to the Buffalo now your modelling 7mm......

On a serious note I'm impressed as to how much you can get within the station area in the shed you certainly have an eye for planning will enjoy the further developments. 

No one could b*gger up plain black surely haha.... I need to research these '57XX' Panniers seeingh as they carried 3600-3799, 4600-4690, 7700-7799, 8700-8799 and 9711-9799. I have left out the 57XX series becasue of roof shape and 67XX series because they were not vacuum fitted.

Hi Coach,

I have a set of books called 'The Pannier Papers' and they are a minefield of info on the different types, with lots of photographic reference.

Again you are welcome to borrow them to help get your head around the differences.

Jinty ;)

• RMweb Gold

Welcome to 0 gauge.  If you know Bracks his garden layout is worth a visit. I have spent some happy hours operating his layout. 

You don't need fishplates for handbuilt track when you can curve the rails before laying. However if you are using flexi track for tight curves the rail will try and straighten out so something needs to hold it. The Peco ones will work but if you have any trouble with doglegs appearing at the track joints soldering the rails to a brass screw under the rail will stop it and can be hid by ballast 

My interest in 7mm is a bit earlier than yours but this would have been seen at Oswestry at some stage

post-8525-0-69469100-1407085042_thumb.jpg

Not much chane of getting a  sound chip specifically for one of those

My intention is to build a much conpressed version of Dolgelley set around 1904, although progress has been stalled due to a house move and major diy following that.

Don

ps I know the loco crew are missing I have a proper Cambrian crew from Andrew Stadden to paint and fit

Archived